Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 103 and still at the range

103 and still at the range

Took my 1917 Enfield out today. Barrel is dated 8-18 so I don't know if it made it "over there" or not. I know these guns are not as well liked as other milsurps but I have a soft spot for underdogs.

I had never tried the Ranch Dog 165 in a milsurp before but I am pleased with the results. I actually did the "fat guy happy dance ". Out of respect for the sensibilities of others the happy dance was not recorded.

Load was Ranch Dog 165 at .311 over 34 grains of 4895. Boolis were lubed with Ben's Red with a top coat of thinned Lar's liquid.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Thumbcocker; 04-21-2021 at 09:27 AM.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Very nice. I have been wanting one for a while.

Banned
    I always felt like the P14 and P17 rifles were a bit under rated. The actions are strong, the guns are simple and they rarely break. What's not to love?

In their original configuration, the rear sight is easier to use than the forward mounted sight of the Springfield (or Mauser), at least for me. The the safety is easier to manipulate with the rifle shouldered.

The P17 isn't as crude and peasant-proof as the Mosin Nagant but it's every bit as tough.

I think the P17 deserves more credit than it gets.

Boolit Master
    I agree about the sights on the 1917. I have gotten older and my sight requires a rear apature.

Banned
    took out my 104-year-old last Thursday, My eyes are so bad I had to put a scope on her. I wanted to still be able to enjoy shooting her .

found out she REALY hates no-GC boolits

Nice group with gas checks.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

They are a nice rifle to shoot. I have both a P14 and an M17 that shoot cast boolits well. With ny near 70yo eyes I find I must have an aperature sight to sharpen the picture.

10 shots with P14 Enfield at 100yds
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I have a P14 that is ratty as all get out. It is stamped DP which i am told means Drill Purposes. It has a shoddy stock repair. Suprisingly the bore is excellent and it is tight. I have read that some P14's went straight to drill rifles. The volly sight is missing. I would love to get a good stock for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I own 2 . Both very nice rifles both original barrels. One an Eddystone the other a Remington .
    They are nice Shooter’s. I use 13 grains of Unique and 200 grain bullet cast. Lots of fun.

Boolit Grand Master

U.S. Rifle M1917........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Considering the circumstances they were adopted under and the numbers produced in the amount of time they were made; it is amazing how well quality and tolerances were maintained.

Very nice shooting!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I'm a procrastinator of the first order. Bought a U.S. Model of 1917 barreled action with all parts over 25 years ago. 2-3 years back after I had redone the metal work I finally sent it out to get drilled and tapped for Weaver grand Slam steel bases, bead blasted and blued. Wasn't original as I bought it. Barrel had been cut to 21" And I profiled the rear receiver ring. And made up a plug for the oblong recess in the rear receiver ring. And the smith welded it in place. Guess what? still haven't shot it yet. Ben helped me out with a fat bellied old cut down M1917 stock. And with covid all local ranges are closed. So one of these days. Frank

Banned

Very nice!

Boolit Master
    It is fun to shoot the old stuff. Amazing how these things hold their capability over time.

During my youth when the WWII surplus stuff was all sold out of barrels I remember the P14 and P17 being "less desirable" than the 1903 and M98. IIRC it was rated as 'too heavy' and requiring too much machine work for mounting a scope. I remember one article where the author went on and on about how cumbersome it was to carry in the field while at the same time he was shooting <2" groups with the iron sights. He complimented the 03 as being 'easy to carry', whatever that means.

Boolit Master
    I much prefer the M1917 over the M1903. I have my mother's father's M1917 Eddystone he liberated from WW1 along with many other items when he FINALLY came home in 1919.

A bit of history: When the Armistice was signed on November 11, 1918, the US troop ships were turned about. Next the rear area U.S. troops were sent home. The last troops pulled out were my grandad's units from the trenches. Franklin was a collector and must have had his own ship because he brought home tons of stuff. His Eddy was my gift from him. I also have Remington and Winchester M1917s.

Adam

Beside these 4 original Winchesters, I have a few 'sporting rifles' that I shoot with "J" bullets, 308 Winchester (Rem), 303 Epps Improved (Rem), 25/303 (Eddy). I have a lot of spare parts including a new "In the white" M17 30.06 Winchester barrel.

303 Epps Improved

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!