Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife-nus Inter-upts

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Just reloading I hope! Not casting boolits!
    No, I cast when I’m at home alone, fully clothed!

It took 5 years but I trained my wife not to bother me when I was in the reloading room.

She'd want a favor done, would yell down from the top of the stairs.

I'd yell back "Tommorow, assuming I don't hear another word, if I do its next week at best"

Did not take me following through with a few of those for her to learn.

Write it down (So you don't forget) wait till I hit the top of the stairs, then ask. Done right stuff happens right now.

Cause and effect. You just have to be very firm, consistent. Not a whole lot different than training a young dog.
    And if the wife ever read that I'd be in the doghouse and sleeping rough for a month. Grin
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    It took 5 years but I trained my wife not to bother me when I was in the reloading room.

She'd want a favor done, would yell down from the top of the stairs.

I'd yell back "Tommorow, assuming I don't hear another word, if I do its next week at best"

Did not take me following through with a few of those for her to learn.

Write it down (So you don't forget) wait till I hit the top of the stairs, then ask. Done right stuff happens right now.

Cause and effect. You just have to be very firm, consistent. Not a whole lot different than training a young dog.
    And if the wife ever read that I'd be in the doghouse and sleeping rough for a month. Grin
    Naah, just tell her you learned Behavioral Psychology from me!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Learn to lock the door .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Whenever someone comes along, I always back up and move away from the press as soon as I see them.
    That has worked pretty well so far.
    This. They get the point which is reinforced by your actions of moving away from the press. Explain how a double charge or stuck bullet could kill or maim you and she would be stuck caring for you. Divorced now so no longer an issue but gf moved in last year. She knows better and likes to shoot.

Wife has walked silently up behind me while I'm in the basement hunched over the reloading bench and all alone then from a foot behind me asked "what do you want me to do with this paper?" Let us just say I'm looking for a fancy gold bell necklace that I can get her to wear. It is either that or give her leprosy because one way or another she NEEDS to wear a bell.

The trouble with CRS is you can come into the room trying to tell spouse an important errand we need to do when we go to town, an expensive repair that is urgently needed on the water heater or you think the dog is pregnant. As soon as you make a sound she proceeds to tell you, in amazing detail, all aspects of something a girlfriend or girlfriends said and did. By the time your brain handles that barrage you have totally forgotten what YOU were saying or why you were there. As you can see it is her own fault she didn't hear about grandkid number 5 earlier, I'm sure I tried to tell her.

There is also the possibility that when you say "don't move this, I need it there" or "don't move that it is battery acid, I want it outside until I can wash the container off" you will find it moved to someplace in the garage, or basement, or office, or junk drawer. Or sitting on the table saw corroding the surface. Just saying cages, not just for the family dog anymore. Just another way to enhance safety at the reloading bench and in the shop.

I found a vintage 100 pack of pistol primers a friend gave me that I set on half wall going to basement in the basket she has hanging on the wall to keep her keys, gum, assorted purse junk in. She had no idea what had happened to them when I was next was headed downstairs and went to take them with me. Asking have you seen..... got an emphatic no. Now what I wonder is am I the only one who learned in kindergarten that if it was Billy's or Susie's and not yours then you didn't touch it without asking first?

These days I do loose my train of thought pretty easily if interrupted, could be my blah blah filter is wearing out or just a symptom of not having managed to blow myself up or set myself on fire or get crushed by a press so far. Getting older sure ain't for sissies. Now I have to go and find the mate for the shoe I'm wearing because I'm pretty sure they are a pair.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 04-19-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    My wife is always welcome to come in, but she’s knows she is likely to get drafted into doing something like cutting paper patches.

It’s the cat I can’t stand coming in and knocking things over!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    Interruptions can be hazardous. That is one of the reasons I don't take my flintlocks to the gun club any more. When I want to shoot them i go by myself into the woods

It never fails that the flintlock draws a lot of attention, so much so that I got distracted once and when the long winded gent finally left I loaded a second charge on top of the first charge that I already had in there. Thankfully I had my ramrod marked.

As far as reloading I have tried through the years to get people to leave me alone when I am working. I would have better luck turning my lead into gold. After 35 years of marriage and 5 kids I have resigned myself to the fact that, unless I am home alone, interruptions can and will occur at any time. So when they do I stop and walk away until the wife is gone.

Steve in N CA
    I can relate to that. Guys would want to come to my shop and watch me build guns. I would tell them, nope, no one in my shop while I'm working. I learned the hard way when I had the distraction, sure as hell I would screw us some simple procedure.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I told mine the last time she came in that I was going to get a sign for the door saying No Girls Allowed. She just laughed.

Seriously though, we need to just stop what we are doing until whatever distraction is over. Finding a simple way of marking where we left off is a good idea.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    They say " The mind is the second thing to go " But to back away or leave handle down
    where you left off works for me ; )
    H/D

Boolit Master
    I just built a 10x20 shop next to the house. That did not work either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12