Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Ruger Vaquero Question

Ruger Vaquero Question

I recently purchased a 357 SS cylinder for my ruger 38-40 Win / 40 S&W. My intent was to have it opened up to 10mm Auto and have a 3 shell hand cannon. The gun I bought said it was a new model Vaquero and was made in 2001. The pictures I doctored up with dimensions are as follows. The SS cylinder is the one I recently bought that won't work, and the blued cylinder is dimensioned like the wheel presently on the gun though the one on the gun is SS. Is there anyone who might have a SS cylinder like the one I need who might want to trade for the one I have that is too small ? I can send pictures of the actual cylinders if needed. Also from the dims can you tell me what model or models the small one might fit ?

Here goes on the pics ??????

Thanks for your help,
    Skip Dillin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vaquero Cyl.jpg   short Vaquero.jpg  

Boolit Master
    The blued cylinder appears to be from a normal Blackhawk. The smaller picture,, (stainless cylinder?) is most likely from a mid-framed NM Flattop model.
    Anytime you are buying a spare cylinder,, you need to ask for the model, (blackhawk) and the OAL. The OAL can be different even within the same model. Then,, there are the OM Rugers,,,!
    Sorry, I do not have a cylinder to help you with your issue.

Boolit Master
    The first Vaquero was a larger gun than the one they make now .
    Here is a link to an article with some dimensions of the cylinders.
    https://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm
    It looks like you need a cylinder from a full size Black Hawk or Vaquero .
    Not the newer version of the Vaquero or the Flat top New model Black Hawk.

The link onelight put on is very helpful, Thank you. I guess my model is the normal one. On another note, are vaquero and blackhawk cylinders interchangeable with each other if the dimensions match up ?

Boolit Grand Master

The Cylinder from my 50th Anniversary FTBH 44 Magnum drops right into my SS Vaquero 44-40, indexes perfectly and very good headspace and barre/l/cylinder gap measurements. I have fired 44 magnum loads (Keith's 22/2400/429421) no problems. The 41 magnum cylinder from my Bisley BH also drops into the Vaquero w/o any problems or fitting required but, of course, it was not fired but just done to see if the cylinder would fit. The original Vaquero is simply a large frame BH in SAA guise. Sorry, don't have a cylinder to swap either.

Attachment 281524Attachment 281525
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    " are vaquero and blackhawk cylinders interchangeable with each other if the dimensions match up ? "

Short answer, yes.

History time.
    Since we are discussing New Models here,, I'll not get into the OM (3-screw) guns.
    All New Models,, from 1973 forward started with the same frame dimension for the centerfire calibers. As such, the cylinders were all similar in size. When the Vaquero came out,, it too was on the same frame size.
    SASS shooters wanted the "mid-sized" frame sizes,, so the "New Vaquero" was introduced. And since they were popular,, Ruger also introduced the New Model Flattop guns with the mid-sized frames. As such, the cylinders for the New Vaquero's & the Ft new Models were the same.

So, when shopping for ANY spare cylinder,, the easiest way to get what you desire,, is to get the OAL of the cylinder, and know your OAL for the gun you intend to use the spare in. You can buy a spare that's a few thousands LONGER than your existing cylinder,, and hone the BOSS down. Done quite often. But a too short one requires a shim, or welding & re-cutting.

You guys are sure a wealth of knowledge. I've learned more in the last few days than in the last several years. Thank You