RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 45acp dies

Boolit Buddy

45acp dies

Are there any brands of dies that are better for loading cast boolits in 45acp? Any to avoid altogether? I’m piecing together a Polymer 80 in 45acp and dies are on my shopping list.

I use RCBS. Just be sure to get the carbide dies.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

45acp dies

I use an old set of lymans and have never had an issue. Second the carbide recommendation. I do plan to upgrade mine to Dillons eventually though as I prefer their dies due to their decapping and stuck case removal being nicer in my opinion. I also like their seating die stems being flippable rather than multiple stems.

Dad uses older Dillons with the MP 454-200s, Hg68s, and HG130s I make for him and has never had an issue with them to my knowledge.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely going carbide. Can you even get non carbide pistol dies these days?

Boolit Master
    I have the least problems with Dillon Precision dies with cast boolits, Hornady isn’t so good with cast
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

I'm a convert to Dillon dies. Especially when loading on a progressive press.

The key there is to get the right powder funnel for the Dillon powder measure. You want one with a Lyman M die step. Uniquetek has them and Lathesmith here can make them for ya.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I have a set in RCBS, my second die set I purchased. They have processed around 20,000 rounds and are still going strong. I have dies from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, and CH4D. RCBS is the best quality for value in my opinion.

I have 45 ACP die sets from RCBS, Redding and Lyman. They all work.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think you could go wrong with anything available today. The problem is that everything is out of stock right now.

Boolit Master
    Whatever you get, consider adding the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).
    I had an issue with copper plated bullets bulging just outside the case mouth, causing feeding issues. This was fixed by seating the bullet first, then using the Lee FCD. That & other experiences have led me to always seat my bullets in one step, then apply the taper crimp afterwards. For roll crimps (does not apply to .45ACP), I seat & crimp in one step.
    Last edited by justindad; 04-18-2021 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Corrected acronym

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You should not be so concerned so about the dies, but the nose configuration of the boolit! ACP's are notoriously hard to load for due to the sharp ramps many guns have that prevent some nose designs from cycling correctly until you ream the throat of the gun to fit the boolit you are using. Once you figure out the weight and design you want, use any dies you can find these days!!!! I have 3 different brands mentioned above and all are most excellent.

It took me several tries (not with the dies!) to get my 45 ACP's to cycle and shoot correctly.

Good luck. Molds for most cals are VERY hard to find unless you take a 2nd mortgage out to buy on gun-broker! Unless you plan on ONLY loading comm FMJ boolits.

banger

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I'm a convert to Dillon dies. Especially when loading on a progressive press.

The key there is to get the right powder funnel for the Dillon powder measure. You want one with a Lyman M die step. Uniquetek has them and Lathesmith here can make them for ya.
    /\ THIS !!!! /\

I use the Uniquetek powder funnel in a Dillon 550 for my 45 ACP loading and it's the way to go. I have a couple of powder funnels (powder through expanders) made by Lathesmith for 38 Special. They have the correct dimensions for 38 Special CAST bullets and incorporate the Lyman M-die style step. They are game changers. If you're running a Dillion 550 and cast bullets - Lathesmith powder funnels are the way to go. the Uniquetek powder funnel is also an option.

If you're using a single stage press or some other setup, the Lyman M-die expander (or similar style from another brand) is worth the effort.

As for the 45 ACP dies, a carbide sizing die is the way to go.
    I use the Dillion dies in 45 ACP but you can never go wrong with RCBS or Redding.

Banned
    I may regret writing this but.... I am NOT a fan of the Lee FCD.

If you use the correct Lyman "M"-die style expander (or equivalent from another maker), seat & crimp in separate operations, and use a good taper crimp die (like say, a Redding taper crimp die) - the Lee FCD is not needed.

I know there are people that like the Lee FCD, I am not one of them.
    YMMV

Seating dies come with a roll crimp for revolver cartridges OR a taper crimp for autoloader cartridges. Get the correct one.

RCBS is my choice.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Whatever you get, consider adding the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).
    I had an issue with copper plated bullets bulging just outside the case mouth, causing feeding issues. This was fixed by seating the bullet first, then using the Lee FCD. That & other experiences have led me to always seat my bullets in one step, then apply the taper crimp afterwards. For roll crimps (does not apply to .45ACP), I seat & crimp in one step.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I may regret writing this but.... I am NOT a fan of the Lee FCD.

If you use the correct Lyman "M"-die style expander (or equivalent from another maker), seat & crimp in separate operations, and use a good taper crimp die (like say, a Redding taper crimp die) - the Lee FCD is not needed.

I know there are people that like the Lee FCD, I am not one of them.
    YMMV
    I'm with you. I load thousands of rounds of 9mm and 45 ACP every year. I've never seen the use for the Lee FCD. The crimp die that comes with the Dillon die does the job just fine. After all, you're really not crimping so much as just removing the flare.

The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die is a crutch used by reloaders to cover up their mistakes due to poor reloading practices. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I'm not a fan of the lee fcd, or of lee dies in general. The fcd is VERY hard on case life, 3-4 loadings and the case mouth will split.
    You want Quality? BUY Redding, RCBS, Redding or Lyman. That Lyman M-Die is the best thing going for expanding case mouths for lead bullets. Having one of those and a Taper Crimp die in your die set and you're are in business for reloading .45 ACP ammo. RCBS and Lyman also give you 2 or 3 seating stems for your bullet seating die.
    dillon dies are geared for their machines ONLY.
    A stuck case? Happened to me once in 60yrs. Teaching someone about reloading, forgot to roll the .25-06REM cases across the Lube Pad. Too busy talking and not doing. With so many LUBE options available today it's hard to believe anyone could get a stuck case. Plus, the Carbide Sizer dies that are available for about every straight wall handgun cartridge.
    Good Luck and Have FUN.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

All standard 3 die sets are designed for loading metal J-word's ( Ball aka FMJ) .
    To load cast lead , coated lead or plated you need to add a Flaring die , it flares the case to accept the soft boolits . Lee Universal Case Expanding Die (it simply flares) or Lyman M-Die or NOE neck Expanding M-type plugs used with the Lee body .
    Some 4 die sets come with the extra die to load cast ... but double check before buying .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-19-2021 at 02:07 PM. Reason: changed tool to die ...lee calls it a neck expanding die
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I made my own “set” of Lyman dies in 45 ACP. It’s easy to find a carbide sizing die as an individual sale, and I picked up a seating die on e-Bay. I did this because I wanted to use the multi-caliber powder through expander die, and a taper crimp. I sourced each die separately and got the set cheaper than buying a factory set and adding to it. End the end, all of my “set” still came from Lyman, just not together. Dad bought the other auto pistol caliber we load, 9mm, from RCBS, complete IIRC with a taper crimp die.

Both sets work well for me, and I wouldn’t change either one. If I were starting from scratch I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either one if it were offered, but I still like the Lyman die for mounting a powder measure to charge the case in the same step as I expand my case mouths.

Froggie

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

The 45 acp expander may be like my new 9mm one? 3 die set.

Boolit Grand Master
    Similar to Green Frog, my .45 ACP die set is a mixture of CH, Lyman and RCBS. Some found at bases that closed down, some bought from the five dollar box of used dies that used to be common at gun shows.

The only die that I will categorically refuse to try any more is the Lee powder through expander die, (I've had several other caliber Lee handgun dies and always end up replacing them). By design it grips the case neck and requires a jerk on the press handle to free it. This is meant to ensure no powder bridging when charging cases on a Lee turret press. Since I don't charge powder on my single stage, I don't like or need that feature.

Never tried the Lee FCD handgun style die, but I don't think it is needed.

Robert

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast