Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SR 4759 uses?

I bought 5 lbs of this recently, for my 500. Was on the shelf for $24 a lb and gathered them up over few months. Already burned up 2 lbs. This powder I used for learning how to reload. Easy to manually weigh out, no carbon residue, capable of modest loads and tame compared to say H110. Good to have

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    and i just shot some today in 7.5x55 K31 with 174 grain cast, three groups were one ragged hole each and one just out. this was shooting 5 shot groups at 25 meters...open sights (issue) and with 72 year old eyes. i dont know why they could not have done a batch every year...im sure the bean counters were behind shutting off the faucet.
    Would you mind sharing your load and/or velocity? I'm guessing 24-25gr? I found 2lb of this stuff in my stash; going to feed it to my K31.

It works like a charm n my 358 Norma mag with 220 cast with a GC at 2000 fps. I only have 1/2 lb left and will miss it. A lot of shooters love 5744 and I have been told that Shooters World Buffalo Rifle is an almost dead ringer for 5744 so maybe we'll see.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I found 4759 to be an okay, good powder in some cartridges but never found 4759 to be any better than other powders. Where 4759 excels for me is with my 45-70 duplex loads used in my Trapdoor M1873 rifles. I use the 4759 under the BP in M1873 and M1882 45-70 service replicant loads. With the duplex loads they can be shot all day long w/o the need for bore wiping or use of a blow tube. The loads i use replicate the velocities and measured pressures of the original BP loads.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I've burned a few cans of it and found it to be a good powder in a lot of cartridges, (like 5744) but not the best in any, (like 5744). I still have a few cans, I think they're 1/2lb cans, not 1lb. as I recall, and that'll probably last me the rest of my life, and then some. I've usually found IMR4227 or IMR4198 to be better powders in most applications where some would use SR4759, but mileage varies.

Larry's use in duplex loads was in print at one time, Lyman's #39 manual, (1953) lists it as follows for the .45/70,

''Duplex load of 7 or 8 grains of #4759 in bottom of case and fill rest with Black powder to bullet base.''

''This is accurate and requires no cleaning during shooting period.'' Page 79, Ideal Handbook Number 39.

The same manual suggests IMR4198 almost as many times for cast loads as SR4759, so fear not, they still make IMR4198. And as I recall, this isn't the first time they've dropped SR4759.

Attachment 290737I was just at a small gun show at the fairgrounds and found 1 lb. of SR 4759 for $ 25 and grabbed it. I still have a little left from years ago but since it was discontinued it’s not easy to find so I got it. Good for lots of calibers !

Jedman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12