Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expensive little things, aren't they...

I dumped my pat marlin check maker and made a single stroke myself.

Id never go back to a two stroke system

Boolit Master
    I should not say never but I will never pay that kind of money for gas checks.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I made several two step check makers before I figured out how to make a one step maker. Being retired, I now have more time than money. The mini lathe has paid for itself many times making tooling for my hobbies and although are not cheap neither are guns.

Boolit Grand Master

I made my first gas check maker as a two step design and while it worked it was slow and tedious so next one I made was a single stroke Ed Smith design and it is great. I made the first two for .30 cal. 3rd one I made was also Ed Smith design in .44. I wouldn't go back to a two step system.

I'm using old gutter material so that is free. A bit thick but it works fine and makes a deeper check than normal.

Next I plan to make .30 cal. and .44 cal. for PB boolits to see how those go.

I'm with barrabruce... I wouldn't pay for gas checks. I'd shoot PB boolits or paper patch.

Longbow

I must be older than I thought. I've got boxes of checks marked $16.00 and $18.00. But even at $40.00 it's not worth my time to make my own.

It's curious to me how expensive they are, given that they're probably made on Minster "Hummingbird" machines capable of 1000 pieces a minute.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    At more than 4 cents each, I would not make my own. I just will shoot plain base and jacketed. Gas checked bullets are a knitch thing and while I shoot a bunch of them with checks that cost 2 cents much more than that they are just not worth it. If I really need that performance I probably should be shooting jacketed unless jacketed bullets go thru the roof. I could shoot plain base bullets for everything I need even selfdefence but I rarely hunt. For hunting I can just go big bore plain base and keep ranges shorter. For hunting I really don't mind dollar a piece jacketed bullets but like I said, I rarely hunt.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    checks over here are £45 x 1000 .i think i will cast heavier boolits and go pb.i hope i can keep the accuracy i get with gc boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    checks over here are £45 x 1000 .i think i will cast heavier boolits and go pb.i hope i can keep the accuracy i get with gc boolits.
    With a single stroke maker you can kick out several checks quickly, about the same rate as loading with a progressive press. If one were so inclined to automate a press it'd be pretty easy and all you'd have to do is feed the material in.

Boolit Mold
    The designs they have up at the top of the check forum is nice. If you know somebody good with a lathe you could have one for pretty cheap, thats the route i went.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12