WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expensive little things, aren't they...

Boolit Master

Expensive little things, aren't they...

Shooting GC on boolits adds $0.03 to $0.04 per round. Per one thousand rounds the GC amounts to $30 to $40. As alloy for me was "free" (not withstanding transportation, insurance, maintenance, propane, and amortizing pots, heater, ingot molds, ladles, etc.), the GC's represents a considerable portion of the cost per boolit. Soon, and very soon, the Sunk Cost in the purchase of a GC Maker (if I can even find one) and aluminum sheeting will be a necessity, rather than a nice to have, as amortization of "a hundred dollar" Maker over 10's of thousands of rounds is a NO BRAINER.

Who has a decent Maker for around $100?
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I use the free chex 3 at least I think that's what it's called. But I also shoot alot of plain base loads with 9 grains of blue dot. I do buy checks for my 8x57 mausers and 6.5 Swede from sage's. You could check with pat marlin, I think he is still in business but not sure.
    Last edited by iron brigade; 04-18-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Boolit Master

The "lock down" had Mfg's in disarray. Pat Marlins was "down" for a while. He is back. Whether his backlog is current, IDK. He isn't making the Rockdock system due to aluminum plate deficiencies from his supplier. His IS making Gas Check Makers and I am about to pull the trigger on two calibers...

Yes I think you should be well served with Pat's product.

Boolit Buddy
    matteson's gas check maker, i bought one and its great ! text kim matteson at 239 218 7956. here is YOUR chance !

Boolit Master
    Very interested in what you find out. Price and model.

Boolit Buddy
    well, did you talk to kim? and if so please share what you found out, thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    sorry, i mis read your post thinking you had texted/called kim

Boolit Master

Just got back on this thread...I started PC'ing for the first time yesterday and HAD A BALL doing it. I'm hooked. It's Monday and perhaps I can call today. What is his web site? I didn't find it searching "matteson's gas check maker".

Boolit Grand Master
    Makes a lot of sense to make your own GC's if you are shooting a lot of bullets that require them. Plus you can play with different sheet thicknesses to get a better fit.

Back a number of years ago, GC's for .22 cal were $25/1000 and I got a deal on .224 Hornady SP bullets for $70/1000. It made no sense to shoot cast bullets. But I still bought a couple of thousand GC's for times like this...if jacketed bullets were not available or priced too high. BTW, there is a thread on making a GC tool and that is something worth looking at.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Just got back on this thread...I started PC'ing for the first time yesterday and HAD A BALL doing it. I'm hooked. It's Monday and perhaps I can call today. What is his web site? I didn't find it searching "matteson's gas check maker".

"Dave's mini machine shop" is where I found it. I didn't go any further since it wanted me to sign in on Facebook. A deal killer for me. Not a facebook member nor do I want to be.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t been shooting my calibers that need gas checks recently. Especially since I started powder coating. However, if I feel like shooting GCed boolits again, I would certainly invest in the tooling and start making my own. They could even be valuable for trading with others. I’ve heard good stuff about Marlin and the last I heard he had some available.

Boolit Master
    I have three of Pat's check makers, and I have no complaints.
    Contact him, he is a good guy.

Boolit Master
    If you want check makers for several calibers and maybe a few sizer dies in different sizes you need to think about a mini lathe. You can make all kinds of tools for your loading bench and you won't have to try to find tools you need. I hate depending on someone else for the things I want but I know with some things it is necessary. Small tooling for my loading bench is something I can make most of my self.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    If you want check makers for several calibers and maybe a few sizer dies in different sizes you need to think about a mini lathe. You can make all kinds of tools for your loading bench and you won't have to try to find tools you need. I hate depending on someone else for the things I want but I know with some things it is necessary. Small tooling for my loading bench is something I can make most of my self.
    Good point. I have a little Jet lathe that had paid for itself. Handy skill set to have.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I’m like the old maid.
    Tried it once and didn’t like it.Those gas check things never seem to shoot for me.
    So I paper patch instead.
    But mostly use Pb bullets these days.
    May have another go sometime. But paper is cheap for the little I need at the moment.
    Not like I’m banging off hundreds at at time now.
    Just a different approach you may try sometime.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    "Dave's mini machine shop" is where I found it. I didn't go any further since it wanted me to sign in on Facebook. A deal killer for me. Not a facebook member nor do I want to be.
    They're legit. I have a few of his checkmakers (and push thru sizers) as well as a few from Pat Marlin. I much prefer the single step that Dave makes vs the two step one from Pat.
    Matteson's is a one man shop and he has a backlog, but has been honest in my dealings with them..

Dima Prok makes one too, but he's a bit higher and I don't have any first hand experience

Boolit Master

Surprised that Matteson's doesn't offer a 30 cal. GC Maker or it isn't shown in PRODUCTS on his web site.

Gas checks 'down under' are costing $AU80-90/1000 and I use a lot of 22, 25, 270, 7mm 30 and 8mm. Time to make my own!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Surprised that Matteson's doesn't offer a 30 cal. GC Maker or it isn't shown in PRODUCTS on his web site.
    He does, that's one of the ones i have from him along with 22, 9mmPB, 44 and 6.5.
    Contact him/Kim, the site is still a work in progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast