RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Cast in a 223 wylde

Boolit Bub

Cast in a 223 wylde

I've tried to post this in a couple places, but you guys are always so knowledgeable.

I know alot of folks do not like cast in an AR platform. I shoot it no problem (usually) in my 556 and 300 B/O ARs.

Recently I got a 223 wylde barrel and took it to the range for the first time. Very happy with the accuracy out of the box with factory ammo- so I tried my luck at some handloads.

Lee 224 55grn

MP Molds 226 75grn

Both sized at 225

Both with IMR AND H4895

Both are tried and true loads for 556. Cycle reliably etc, fairly accurate.

Both locked the bolt. I think the most I could get to cycle without a jam is about 3 rounds. However, loading them without a magazine in one by one wasn't a problem**(This isn't true, I do recall one jamming the bolt) . Could this be from a super tight chamber? Does the barrel need to work itself out? This is a dealbreaker for me if the problem continues. I do not want a barrel that will not shoot cast.

Something to note is when I got home and resized the fired brass, It barley needed it. The full sizer die didn't do anything and the neck sizer needed like 1 pound of pressure to get the case to SAMI spec- I've never had fired brass so close to spec ever, which is why I think I have a particularly tight chamber. (Head space is checked, its 100%)

Do you think sizing them down to 224 will help? Has anyone had similar issues with 223 wylde chambers? I have about 100 rounds through this barrel.
    Last edited by Mr.skrimps; 02-22-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot cast in mine yet, but my 18in AR Stoner barrel in 223 wylde requires small base dies if brass was fired from any other rifle, including my wife's 223 wylde carbine(different barrel maker)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Do I understand they fail to feed from the magazine, jamming before being fully in the chamber? They will chamber fine if fed singly not from the magazine?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn't exactly say they chambered fine- but yes, loading them 1 by 1 had more success than through the magazine. 1 still stuck the bolt loading individually.

I didn't know small base dies existed. I have looked into this as per the first reply and hopefully this will solve the problem. A relatively inexpensive fix if this is the case. I see redding has a small base body sizer and a small base full sizing die - recommendations? Thinking I only need body, but anyone have experience with these?

Boolit Grand Master

Do the FL sized cases by themselves chamber easily 1 by 1? If so, then nothing wrong with your FL sizer.

Are you PCing or lubing?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla