Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .25 acp load developments

Boolit Mold

.25 acp load developments

Hi, my name is Ethan, this is my first post here and this felt like the best place to post updates and potentially seek other peoples' experiences and knowledge on the subject.
    I recently got a set of dies for .25 acp aswell as a Beretta 21a. I soon went on the search for bullets and could find no 50gr or 35gr for sale which is all the published data online. Instead I picked up some swaged lead hollow point .25 cal airgun pellets weighing in at 34 grains as well as ordering 500 55gr bullets from rimrock bullets. The powder I have on hand is IMR target but am in search of HP-38.
    Published load data for IMR target with 35 grain hornady XTPs is 1.6-1.9gr and with 50 grain bullets is 1.2-1.5gr. here is where I could use some insight, considering starting at around .8gr of IMR Target behind a 55 grain cast boolit and also 1.6 grains behind 34 grain swaged pellets to start.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who adds thought to this project.

Boolit Master
    Until recently I had a Beretta 950 which did not like the 35 grain boolits. I gave away all my .25 acp reloading gear and boolits. Because of the small cases, I would suggest Bullseye or some other fast powder. I cannot comment on the newer powders as I don't have any of them. My Beretta was surprisingly accurate for a small pistol and you may have a similar experience with your 21a.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never loaded the .25 ACP, I have several thousand cases for a conversion project that has been somewhat derailed by the current shortages though.

Since the .25 is such a tiny case, be careful you don't pinch your fingers when seating bullets.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have two .25s that I reload for - a Colt and a Mauser.
    With a 50 gr cast bullet I use:
    Titegroup or Bullseye 1.1 grs
    Unique 1.2 grs
    With a 35 gr jacketed bullet I use:
    Titegroup or Bullseye 1.5- 1.7 grs

Using factory ammo, the Colt did not cycle well with the 35 gr lighter bullet. The Mauser doesn't care what you feed it.

They're not hard to reload and are fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

Look for a Lyman manual , they make/made a 50gr 25ACP mold and should have load data for it.
    The Lyman 48th manual is downloadable on line.