Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The hype is real. HP-38 meters incredibly

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know how they will run through a Lee Auto-disk measure, but H335 and Reloader 15 both ran smoothly through an RCBS Uniflow.

I was even using the RL15 in .223 at the time, although with 55 gr j words.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    For accuracy loads, if you think .1 gr repeatability is needed, and it may not be, limiting yourself to a powder that meters well may not be your best approach.

I like Varget because it is relatively temperature stable. An accurate load at 45* will be accurate at 85*. You may find powders like BL C2 may not exhibit as broad an optimum accuracy operating temperature range.

Lastly a load that requires charges to be within .1 gr are not “robust”. IMO accuracy should be excellent over a reasonable variation in powder charges.

Just some things to consider rather than focusing only on how a powder meters.
    Don Verna

I have used my load of BL-C2 in temperatures from 25 degrees to 90 degrees with no loss of accuracy. The impact point changed slightly during the colder weather but that is all.

My Lee Auto disk is just barely able to throw the charge I use but it does so consistently and has for years. Since I found this load, I haven't tested any other powders so cannot comment on them even though I have some on hand.

Boolit Buddy
    I started using CFE PISTOL. a while back .it merers as well as titegroup. They both are very consistent powders .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shaner View Post
    I started using CFE PISTOL. a while back .it merers as well as titegroup. They both are very consistent powders .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yes it does.
    I use CFE Pistol for my full power loads as it doesn't do as well with light loads. Somewhat inconsistent and dirty.
    Titegroup is much better for light loads and is cheaper per shot to use.

Boolit Master

For .38spl I like VV N340. Talk about flowing like water........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    If a powder varies a little either way I don't pay much attention to the variation.
    I sometimes throw Unique and it varies more than most powders I use.
    Most are not good enough shooters to tell the difference unless they are some type of super excellent shots that are consistently excellent. Meaning not shooting a couple lucky groups and thinking they are that good.
    I get a good load, shoot standing up aftet meeting "good load" parameters, and stay off the sandbagged benchrest.
    Many powders vary more from "lot" to "lot" than a couple tenths charge weight variation in the one "lot" of powder one is using. Ever change "lots" of primers, another variation to consider. So we worry about a couple of tenths variation on charge weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    If a powder varies a little either way I don't pay much attention to the variation.
    I sometimes throw Unique and it varies more than most powders I use.
    Most are not good enough shooters to tell the difference unless they are some type of super excellent shots that are consistently excellent. Meaning not shooting a couple lucky groups and thinking they are that good.
    I get a good load, shoot standing up aftet meeting "good load" parameters, and stay off the sandbagged benchrest.
    Many powders vary more from "lot" to "lot" than a couple tenths charge weight variation in the one "lot" of powder one is using. Ever change "lots" of primers, another variation to consider. So we worry about a couple of tenths variation on charge weight.
    Yes, I will worry about charge weight variation.
    I am not a great shot and can't make the best use of perfect ammunition. That said, I want to have the best chance to shoot the best groups, scores that I can. The best ammunition will help me do that.
    Why have a larger group than I could have with great ammo if I don't need to?

If you are using poor ammunition, you don't really know how good you are. Or how bad. The good ammunition shows that too.

Boolit Master

Try some Clean Shot. It makes 231 look like boulders. It meters like nothing I've ever used.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Yes, I will worry about charge weight variation.
    I am not a great shot and can't make the best use of perfect ammunition. That said, I want to have the best chance to shoot the best groups, scores that I can. The best ammunition will help me do that.
    Why have a larger group than I could have with great ammo if I don't need to?

If you are using poor ammunition, you don't really know how good you are. Or how bad. The good ammunition shows that too.
    Let me explain my answer. After many, many years of watching other people shoot handguns I can tell you this without any hesitation that most are not even remotely good shooters. This is from seeing many, many shoot. A shooter will vary more in shooting ability from time to time they shoot than any small variation in powder charge. Can you actually tell the difference in your shooting ability at fifty yards standing offhand with a load that does 2 inches off the bench or 3 inches off the bench in benchrest tests. Now I am talking offhand shooting. What about a load that is a 2 inch load and a 2.5 inch load? Are you actually that good standing offhand?
    I used to shoot with a High Master class NRA Bullseye shooter that would have been hard pressed to do so consistently. He was the best handgun shooter I've ever seen with Bullseye guns and others. Even with horrendous recoil guns he was great.
    He is 80 now and doesn't shoot handguns now.
    If worrying about slight charge weight variation give you confidence in your shooting then you should worry about it.
    But remember the target is the final arbiter and is the final judge in one's shooting. The buck stops there.
    It is hard to face, I know that for sure as I have had to come to earth to roost myself now at 68 years old.
    Have fun though.

Boolit Master
    What 44mag says is so true .
    I am not a particularly good shot so I am a good example.
    A couple of the guys I shoot handguns with at 7 to 25 yards they load in the simplest way they can no sorting or trimming range brass , no weighing bullets or powder charges after measure adjustment and checks . I was doing all these things . They still outshot me and the guys I outshoot I still outshoot after simplifying my process . This is all with iron sighted handguns with 3 to 6" barrels with iron sights .
    There is nothing wrong with making them as good as you feel helps but within reason it still boils down to the shooter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    What 44mag says is so true .
    I am not a particularly good shot so I am a good example.
    A couple of the guys I shoot handguns with at 7 to 25 yards they load in the simplest way they can no sorting or trimming range brass , no weighing bullets or powder charges after measure adjustment and checks . I was doing all these things . They still outshot me and the guys I outshoot I still outshoot after simplifying my process . This is all with iron sighted handguns with 3 to 6" barrels with iron sights .
    There is nothing wrong with making them as good as you feel helps but within reason it still boils down to the shooter.
    Nothing could be more true. It is MY OPINION and MINE ONLY that probably 80 percent of handgun accuracy is in the shooter themselves when up off the sandbagged benchrest. It is good to have a high opinion of one's shooting but reality is the final judge. Cocktailing loads is good to do and I do it but I let reality be my guide. When I present my case (shooting) to the judge (target) it depends on presentation of the facts (my ability) for the judge to make his ruling (accuracy ability). Plain and simple.
    There are no magical loads. Just the refinement and presentation of the shooter. Hold as steady as you can, keep the sights aligned and operate the trigger in such a way as to not disturb the holding of the firearm and the alignment of the sights.
    Good loads are nice but are in no way a substitute for refinement of the main problem which is the one holding and firing of the gun.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-21-2021 at 12:53 PM.

I will agree that the shooter accounts for the largest portion of the group size but why not strive for the best you can do?

Over the years, I have run across loads that didn't shoot as well as I do.
    I always strive for the most accurate load I can find for my handguns. The fact that I can only shoot about a 4 inch group at 12 yards offhand is irrelevant. I am consistent enough that when I suddenly see my group size increase with a new load, I know there is a problem with it. Since I am not a master class shooter, should I be restricted to ammunition that isn't capable of that accuracy?
    Why should I add the extra inch or three to my group size when I can load better, more consistent ammunition?
    My groups are large enough as it is without shooting substandard ammunition.

I am pushing 70 really hard. I need all the help I can get.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I will agree that the shooter accounts for the largest portion of the group size but why not strive for the best you can do?

Over the years, I have run across loads that didn't shoot as well as I do.
    I always strive for the most accurate load I can find for my handguns. The fact that I can only shoot about a 4 inch group at 12 yards offhand is irrelevant. I am consistent enough that when I suddenly see my group size increase with a new load, I know there is a problem with it. Since I am not a master class shooter, should I be restricted to ammunition that isn't capable of that accuracy?
    Why should I add the extra inch or three to my group size when I can load better, more consistent ammunition?
    My groups are large enough as it is without shooting substandard ammunition.

I am pushing 70 really hard. I need all the help I can get.
    I agree about cocktailing loads. As I said previously I do too. But I live in reality. A couple tenths variation on charge weight for most handgun shooters will not make any practical difference. Unless that shooter is a remarkable shooter of which I and most others aren't.
    My help would be recovery of say 15 years or so of youth.
    Not worrying about very small differences in powder charges once a good load is found.

Let me clarify what I am saying in a country simple way. My MO is I cocktail a load till I know it is going to outshoot me whether I am shooting OFFHAND at 7 yards, 10 yards, 25 yards, 50 yards or 100 yards.
    Then I don't worry about it simply because I cannot now shoot well enough to tell the difference in small increases in accuracy of just the gun and load. The biggest, and will always be the biggest factor in my accuracy, is me , and not the gun and load.
    I have been accused of saying just load any old load and shoot it. Nothing could be further from the truth. I experiment but I know in the truth of reality that there is no magical load that will ever turn any of us into a PERFECT human shooting platform regardless of what we think and may want. While we strive for perfection it will never come. That is the reality of it.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-21-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    My standard is + or - a tenth for range ammo . On the Lee turret in auto index this is easy with the powders I use. But I rarely load full power loads if I want more power I use a more powerful cartridge that does not need to be redlined to get what I want .
    We all load like we want and hopefully it gives us the results for what we enjoy all the while keeping us in good practice . If it's safe there is no right or wrong.
    I occasionally go on an accuracy binge and try to tighten every thing up just depends on my mood and intended use of what I am loading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12