RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Primer dilemna

Boolit Master

Primer dilemna

I have lots of 209 primers but they are all cheddite. I have lots of hulls but they are almost all Remington and Winchester. The problem is there is no published data to load those hulls with Cheddite primers. My immediate concern is 20 ga for grandson’s newly acquired skeet and trap interest. 7/8 oz load in AA hulls, Longshot powder to equal 1200 fps. I’ve emailed Hodgdon and BPI to no avail. Been using 16.5 grs with win 209 primers but all out.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I too have a bunch of Cheddite primers and they have worked well in my loads. I just use them as federal 209 to be on the safer side. I also have a lot of the Rio primers and they seem to on the warm side. I heard something about the Rio primers not being available anymore but I'm not sure that's true. I'd just load as lite a trap load as you have data for, Maybe something in the 8,000 PSI range and give them a try before letting the young man shoot them. But then this is just my take on this Hal, you have a LOT more shotgun experience than me. Gp

There's a few 20ga loads using Cheddite primers at hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

Boolit Master
    drop a grain or 2 and be safe

Boolit Grand Master

No different than hanging primers in rifles. Back off load and work back up.
    I am careful of any load from all manuals. Back down if they are getting on the hot side. Their barrel Is different from all mine.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Science!: http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

The real eye opener is further down in the article---crimp depth has a much greater effect on pressures than primer substitution has!

Bottom line is that you can swap a Cheddite 209 into any recipe other than a Rem 209P and the pressure will go down. Indeed, it will go down more with a slower powder like LongShot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    Science!: http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

The real eye opener is further down in the article---crimp depth has a much greater effect on pressures than primer substitution has!

Bottom line is that you can swap a Cheddite 209 into any recipe other than a Rem 209P and the pressure will go down. Indeed, it will go down more with a slower powder like LongShot.
    Excellent article. Thanks for posting.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    they do same as rest, but are about 002 larger . once you use them cant go back to AM made

You can get the universal primer tool from BPI if you go back to AM made primers, I have change some EM primer pockets to AM in the hulls that would take EM with the tool .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I’d already read that article several times...As I understand it the way to get slower burning primers to work with a given charge of Longshot is to add more payload, say from 7/8 to 1 oz. Am i reading that wrong?
    PS. I emailed Cheddite today and BPI and Hodgdon (again.)
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    You can get the universal primer tool from BPI if you go back to AM made primers, I have change some EM primer pockets to AM in the hulls that would take EM with the tool .
    The Cheddite primers I have are US-size, not the larger Euro-size, so they don't stretch out the primer pockets, which is convenient. The pre-primed Cheddite hulls I have also have these same primers in them. I'm told the company did this on purpose a few years back, just to be in sync with the US market. The disadvantage, of course, is they are loose in a Fiocchi hull and fall right out of a Rio hull. I've heard that they also still make the Euro-size primers for some other markets, but I haven't encountered any of them.

Boolit Master

To update, I started with 16.5 gr Longshot and the Ched primer very weak. Upped in increments to 18 gr and this seems about right.
    Leonard Ravenhill