Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand

Boolit Master
    In1982 I went through the hoops and 3 months and $118.00 later had a mint SA with a 3 million serial number refit in 1967. She shoots great. My grandson loves this war veteran.

She is not for sale because I could find another like her. The 1982 pack had a sling, combo tool and kit that has never been opened.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The one thing to remember about the CMP, that it is absolutely the luck of the draw in terms of appearance. There's no guaranties about how good the rifle will look.
    Unless you can go to the store yourself and select your rifle from the racks. Even the CMP had some COVID problems, I’ve heard the racks are much more empty than years past.

Boolit Master
    I joined the Garand Collectors Association and started filling out the CMP paperwork to buy one online. I thought about the 4 month wait, and getting a "luck of the draw" rifle, so I talked to my wife and we pondered the idea of driving to a CMP store. There's 3 stores - 2 are 18 hrs from me, the one in Ohio is 11 hrs. Not a bad road trip. But the one in Ohio is closed, as is one of the AL stores. I called the opened one in AL and asked about their inventory. They cannot give out inventory information. They might have 1, then might have 50, but they won't tell me what they have. They told me to buy online - I'd be guaranteed to get one. But, it's the "luck of the draw" thing again.

Boolit Man
    I don't know if I would make the trip right now. They are all hands on deck filling the mail orders. I sent in my order back in November. They sent me an email in Feb/Mar stating they received my order in late November. I ordered a Winchester which they recently posted that they are out of. So far I see where orders after mine have been shipped, including Winchesters, but no movement on mine. Every day is like a combination of groundhog day and Christmas eve with anticipation of today might be the day I see a hit in my e-store account or on my credit card. So far I'm always the bride's maid and never the bride!

Boolit Master
    I was thinking of making the trip further into the spring or early summer. But, that idea doesn't make sense now. You've been waiting five months? Wow. Eventually, I'll get one but that itch is fading.

Check the available grades and spend accordingly. Now, just like any other purchase, make sure you are convinced you received what you paid for. I had to send one back. They were quite accommodating and made it up nicely. Good Luck.

I've got 9 of them. Not bragging, but going to try and make a point by telling you the story. When I got out of the military I knew that I had to have an M1....someday, as the military hadn't released them quite yet, but some were available on the surplus market because they had been sold by Great Britain as surplus. You could buy one of many different Mauser and Lee Enfield rifles at very reasonable prices, mostly in the $30-$40 range, but the M1s were going for $80+ which was beyond my reach at the time.

When I got into gunsmithing I began pouring over parts ads and found one where Gun Parts Corp. had condemned M1 receivers. I think they had mostly come from S. America as they had some pitting, mostly below the wood line. I decided that I could build them back into rifles as parts were cheap and plentiful, and it was just the entire rifle that was hard to acquire. I ordered 4 of them, and one had a 4 digit serial number which a buddy immediately insisted should become his. That left 3, one of which appeared to have been run over by something as it was kind of squashed. The remaining 2 weren't bad at all, and I had the receivers re-Parkerized and they built up into very nice looking rifles with excellent-new parts from GPC and SARCO. All of this batch were Springfield.

Then the military released some of their M1s and DCM began holding qualification matches to buy them. I made a deal with another friend for an all expense paid weekend (food, lodging, transportation, range fees, cost of the rifle) to one of the matches and eventually we both received an M1, and I got his also. These were both Springfield manufacture and in the high end of VG condition. DCM had a lifetime limit of one per customer, and eventually their program was replaced by CMP which had a more liberal sales policy.

Next, an import company named Blue Sky Enterprises imported a large quantity of M1 rifles (and carbines) from South Korea, given to them in the Korean War and which they were replacing with more modern weapons. These were all stamped with the Blue Sky Enterprises' name on the right side of the barrel between the front of the hand guard and front sight. These were somewhat of a mixed bag, in that most of them had a nice external appearance, but many had shot out bores, stocks replaced with birch, component parts replaced with indigenously made parts, etc. But, the price was right, and I ordered 4 from my distributor. Once again, a lot of re-barreling and parts replacement took place, and the price of parts was going up. The availability of some parts like op rods, op rod latches, gas cylinders was noticeably scarcer than a few years earlier. One of these was a Winchester (the rest Springfield) and Fulton Armory bought the Win. from me for much more that I paid. The end result was that I ended up with 3 more very nice M1s. I used new Criterion barrels which were short chambered and finished the chambers myself using a pull through reamer. They shoot better than any I fired in the military. That's 7 now, if you're counting. All Springfields.

Then I acquired another from the now-defunct Federal Ordnance Co. They had investment cast receivers made (I am told) by the Santander Iron Works in Spain, and assembled rifles on them from high grade surplus parts. I'll just leave it there--it is a satisfactory rifle, but worth an entire thread by itself. It says Fed Ord on the receiver, rather than Springfield, Winchester, etc., and it's fun to let guys discover that and get a puzzled look on their faces, as most of them never heard of the Federal Ordnance Co. and it doesn't fit into what they know about M1s.

Lastly, back around 2008 I got the urge to build one more. I took a look a Gunbroker and couldn't believe all of the receivers and parts for sale there at mostly outrageous prices. I found an almost mint condition H&R receiver and bought it. It's been awhile now, but I think it cost $450. I learned, as I had when I was deeply into rebuilding Krag rifles, that a cottage industry exists of buying M1s from the CMP and parting them out for resale on GB. Personally, I think it's a travesty to destroy historical rifles, but since I didn't do it and wanted a receiver I bought it. I still had some nice parts from my earlier endeavors, but needed a stock, and had a semi-inlet with some fancy grain in my shop. It ended up being a real eye-catcher, and when I took it to the range I received several comments, "Oh--what a nice looking rifle." And that makes 9 total, plus the squashed receiver which I did get somewhat straightened out to where a bolt will run back and forth in it, but then never got back to the project. i guess I could say that I got mine the hard way.....but it was fun.

Now, other than what I hope was entertaining, what is the point of all of this? It is that the Govt. produced well over 5 million (almost 6 million) M1s. They used them in two wars and gave lots of them to foreign countries, many of which have been returned and are in circulation. Some came back through surplus importers, some returned to the Govt. and then released through and processed by CMP. Sadly, the Govt. purposely destroyed many. Guys like me have rebuilt many of them (and greatly enjoyed doing it), as have some companies like Fed Ord.
    And then, of course, there is the civilian Springfield Armory that made some. There are lots of somewhat bogus rifles in circulation, including some that had their de-milled receiver halves welded back together with varying results. The M1 was a child of mass production and interchangeable parts, and our own military arsenals rebuilt many of them in service and took no heed whatsoever in using replacement parts of the same make. The first M1s were made about 1936 (85 years ago) and the last in the 1950s, about 68 years ago. Finding nice specimens is getting harder and the prices are rising. Some of my past friends and customers received absolutely mint condition M1s from DCM and CMP, but those days are over, and CMP is now assembling rifles from other rifles to fill orders and the really nice ones are history. A serious collector will pay several thousand dollars for one that is "correct", such as a Winchester with all Winchester parts, but the odds are very good that the "correct" rifle was assembled from parts by an enterprising individual seeking a profit, and the parts came from several or many individual rifles. The M1 was made to swap parts as needed, and in my opinion any "correct" rifle is suspect as to historical authenticity. If you're an average guy and an average shooter a mix-master M1 will do just fine, and if you encounter one in nice condition at what today is a good price you should snatch it up. If you can see it, handle it, inspect it before buying it, and you like it, you should buy it. If you buy one from CMP you'll no doubt be thrilled the day it arrives and you open the case it comes in, but perhaps less satisfied when you compare it to those of your friends and shoot it. Back in the day you were pretty much guaranteed of getting a good rifle from DCM.
    CMP started out that way, but as their supplies dwindled it has become luck of the draw, and from what I've been able to tell none as good as once was. The one you're looking at in the gun shop may be "a bird in the hand."

Perhaps someday importers will be allowed to import more of the vast stockpile of M1s still held by S. Korea. I've read rumors that perhaps some will come in from Turkey, who used them in the Korean War. But...with the anti-gun Administration in D.C. that we're enjoying I wouldn't hold my breath.

DG

Boolit Master
    DG,

Thank you for your long and thoughtful thesis on the Garand. I have a few. My first was bought in 1965 while home on leave in PA for $85.00. I used that rifle to shoot my way twice onto my state high power rifle team to go to Camp Perry.

My last is a mint SA 5 million serial number with the eagle stamp in the stock (post 1953) gotten in a swap for a 98k and an SKS from an old GI.

I wish I had your expertise!

Be Well.

Adam

Boolit Master

I just received my latest Garand from CMP last month (mailed order forms early January). Service grade random draw....a LEAD 65 rebuild with a ‘42 SA receiver ‘45 SA bbl and a mixed bag of other parts. According to the tag that came with it, ME was 1+ and TE 2+, wood was old but beautiful. I shot it a couple of days later at our monthly GSM match and it shoots better than I do. A GREAT rifle and I couldn’t be happier! I should order another...
    Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the good info. Nine?
    I saw one in antique shop a few weeks ago (I posted about it) and it's in a CMP case, with a CMP tag, but... the seller is not an FFL, which, I know, isn't a big deal, but if there's problems with the rifle, then what? Plus, I don't know enough about them to determine if it's a good deal, bad deal, or what ($1000 cash).

Boolit Master
    Battis,

I began buying military surplus arms in 1958, back in the days when I had too little cash to get all I wanted at bargain prices. Those glory days are gone forever. In 1990, on payday, I stopped by my local gun shop and they just got in a dozen NEW Chinese SKS arms with chest pouch, sling, bayonets and cleaning kit and tools for $85 each. My buddy shop owner allowed me to buy 4 each. All shoot my handloads well and are the best farm gun there is. I retired to the vault my $20 DCM M1 Carbine in favor of the best SKS in the lot.

At the last gun show I was amazed how the prices have increased. My heirs should increase their church pledges! LOL!

Adam

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I realized that I had a timeline going, starting with an 1842 H.Aston, cap and ball Colts and Remington, 50-70 & 45-70 Trapdoors, Krags, a 1917 Winchester 30-06, 1917 S&W .45, all bought at relatively low prices. A Garand would fit in nicely. A CMP Garand at $650 & $750 still seems reasonable, and the CMP backs them up. I just have to set my mind for the four month wait.

Boolit Man
    Battis, if you don't have a preference you can get a rifle much faster. I wanted a Winchester so with the slug of orders it's taking a while. I see lots of orders for the Springfields or H&R rifles that have a much shorter shipping time.
    Here is the shipping time thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?p=2041521

Boolit Master
    Get pre-qualified with the CMP. ALl paper work completed.
    Make a road trip to Anniston or Talladega range store and pick out your rifle!
    They’ll give you a complimentary trip to the Talladega range to shoot it.
    I suggest the CMP forum. CMP.org.

Boolit Master
    Done that. If you read what I posted, there is one store in AL open. I called and asked what their inventory was. They would not tell me. It could be 1 or 100 - they won't tell over the phone. So, an 18 hour drive (one way) and they might or might not have a rifle for me.
    Don't think so.

Boolit Master

I got an M1 by collecting parts and assembling them. I got a Belgian barrel on a CAI receiver, (Which are maligned usually, But mine shoots very well and has caused no problems yet) that had a gas cylinder attached and a front sight which I think are Beretta. I then collected parts from ebay, and gun broker and started to assemble them. I had to get the trigger group from Northridge Supply. The Stock is a clunky newer one and the middle sling swivel is chrome plated. I call it my Mutt 1. It is not a match quality rifle but when you pull the trigger it barks like a big dog.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master
    I was wondering when they first built the Garand. Think I have a bare receiver from '36 then as its a 4 digit s/n IIRC.

Boolit Man
    I have been seeing on the CMP forums those that ordered the Field-grade Winchesters have been waiting like me (forever). I also have been seeing that if they email them asking to be upgraded to a Service-grade Winchester they get one almost immediately. I tried it. I emailed them earlier this week stating my customer number and that I would like to upgrade my order if possible. The next day I got an email that my updated order was being pulled. Yesterday I received another email with a tracking number. My M1 Garand just left the Memphis hub and will be here Monday! Six months of waiting is coming to an end!

Boolit Buddy
    My first experience with the M1 was in 1960 Military school where we drilled with the M1, never fired them. but as an 85# 14 year old I could do the Queen Anne MOA with ease. Then in 1963 joined the Army and at Ft. Ord was in the last Basic company class to carry the M1. They were trying to rid themselves of 30-06 ammo so we got to shoot all the ammo we could. With unlimited ammo, I must have fired several thousands of rounds thru my International Harvester M1. When I turned it in I had to use Brasso to clean out the copper fouling.

In AIT we switched to the M14 and had limited ammo, comparatively. I still fired a bunch but nowhere as much as with the M1s.
    Fast forward to 1970, I ran into a biker who had an M1 for sale, $150 so I bought it. I always like the M1 for off hand it has much better balance than the M14. I ran into a deal on Military M2 ball and bought a bunch in clips and shot it all, then in a fit of lunacy swapped it off for a NIB 8" Mod 27 S&W. I didn't warm up to the 8" bbrl so swapped the 27 off for a Colt Woodsman Target, but couldn't take to the steep grip angle so swapped it of for a S&W Mod 41 7 1/2" which I still have.

All in all the $150 was a good deal for a Mod 41 even in 1970 dollars.

Mine is built around one of the commercial Springfield Armory recvrs that DG mentioned. It has GI parts, a SA MD 43 [if I’m reading it right] bbl and SA bolt. It was correctly assembled by a retired Marine armorer in Jacksonville NC in the late 70’s. Originally it had gi wood but now is in Boyds Winter laminate. Has a NM rear sight. A great rifle. Don’t know if the bbl ever saw action but at one point it served as my deer rifle and put meat in the freezer. I shot a garand match with it a few years ago too. If the world ever gets right I’ll do another. Best of luck to the OP, hope his rifle works out for him. Every American by law should own a 1903 or 1903A1, a Garand or M1 carbine and a 1911.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 05-13-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast