MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand

Boolit Master

M1 Garand

The search feature isn't working for me on the forum, so I'll start a thread.
    Price check- M1 Garand (CMP with hard case). Looks good but I don't know much about them.
    The store is asking $1000.
    I want to get more info before I go back for another look.

Look on Gunbroker and Guns America and see what they're going for.

If its in decent condition---- Don't wait too long, or it'll be gone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Super Moderator

There are quite a few different grades of CMP M1 Garands. Without knowing what it actually is, it's kinda difficult to nail down a value. More info would be helpful, you might ask them if there was a tag associated with the rifle.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to take another look. I do it all the time - I see a gun, check it out, then on the way home I wonder why I didn't get more info, maybe some pics. It's actually in an antique store, kinda hidden in a case. It's been there for awhile.

Condition, condition, condition. Check the muzzle with a cartridge and see how far in the bullet goes--the poor man's gauge of wear Look for rifling in the bore. Who made it? Winchester usually brings a slight premium. Exterior finish wear. Vintage--0-4million is WW II, 5 million is Korean War. Look for foreign markings, as they've been returned by S. Korea, Denmark, others. Important because some component parts may have been replaced by indigenous manufacture. Off the top of my head, given favorable reports on the above, $1,000 is about right for a nice one.

DG

Boolit Master

All M1 Garands from the CMP come with a hard case. I would bet the grade tag has already been removed. Antique stores tend to hide any info that will not support the price being asked. Go to the CMP site and study the grades being offered and write them down or make a copy on your printer as to condition and take that back with you. Don't hesitate to haggle, try to get the price down. Great rifles and they are a joy to shoot. james

Boolit Buddy
    Unless you need it RIGHT NOW just go through the CMP and get one for $650. I got one of them about a year ago and it looks great, you can see where there was some minor pitting on the side of the receiver but they scraped it out and re-parked the whole thing.

Boolit Master
    I checked out the CMP site, and that might be the way to go. I'm not in a hurry. I plan on checking out the one I saw today again - it did have a grade tag. He was asking $1200 but came down to $1000. I've bought two other rifles from this seller - a Krag .30-40 rifle for $150 (he said it didn't fire. Well, it didn't have a firing pin. $35 fixed that) and an Italian Vetterli 6.5 Carcano for even less money.

Boolit Bub

M1 Garand

I went on a road trip purposely to go to go to the cmp and pick up a m1 with my son
    I had no idea what I was getting into but had my paperwork in order
    The guys ar the CMP were great walked us through everything and basically told us rack grade is your best deal so with that and 8 cans of ammo we were great
    Then off to Atlanta to a ball game the cards came out on top so it was a great trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yes, if you can arrange your schedule right, make the trip to CMP and hand select your rifle. The people at CMP were very helpful when I did that and I really recommend you do it if you at all can arrange such a trip. james

Boolit Buddy

Auctions around here have them going for $1500 and up. If you want one and it is decent, grab it.

Boolit Master
    I can't get in touch with the seller, but I called the store and they read the tag to me. Some of it doesn't make sense.
    Anyways, it's a Springfield.
    M2 H
    TH H
    RMISERSA
    Something begins with A and followed by the number 13.

They're only open on weekends so if I don't hear from the seller I'll take a ride up next weekend.

Super Moderator

RM1SERSA

I believe that this is the designation for Service Grade- Springfield Armory. These are currently selling for $750 from the CMP. Grade description below:

SERVICE GRADE: (GOOD TO VERY GOOD)
    Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. May have pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production but may be used and show signs of wear on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge “3 or less” and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

RM1SERVICE M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle. See above for Service Grade description. Rifle shipped in CMP hard rifle case.

Boolit Master

Ah the M1 Garand , have had 6-7 , still have 1 wish I had not sold a few , some I gave away son got one daughters husband got one Father got the best one , as he should since he carried and used one in Korea , you buy it you will enjoy it .

Mine was made in 1941 it wears a flash hider now , you will need en blocs and bandoleers and cardboards , go shoot in a garand match what fun that is , probably a favorite rifle of mine .

Boolit Master
    Service grade - $750. Good to know. I'll deal with the CMP. Thanks.

The price on these things are only going to go up.
    When I got mine from the DCM the price was $250.00 at the time I thought it was expensive, now I don't think so.

Super Moderator

The one thing to remember about the CMP, that it is absolutely the luck of the draw in terms of appearance. There's no guaranties about how good the rifle will look.

Boolit Master
    As long as it functions and isn't rotted or rusted out.

Boolit Master
    I started the process with CMP today. Several hoops you gotta jump through. The rifles are $650 and $750. There's a four month wait.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast