Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Any .43 Egyptian Load Data out there?

Boolit Master

Any .43 Egyptian Load Data out there?

I stumbled on a Remington Egyptian rolling block rifle and can't seem to find any published load data for the .43 Egyptian rounds. The few threads I have found drift into discussions about the .43 Spanish and aren't of much use.

I purchased a few Buffalo Arms formed cases (from Starline 50/90), have some .448 390 grain or so cast boolits, FFg black powder and some primers. Also have Unique, IMR4198 and a few other powders. I'm going to load a few with 70 grains FFg which comes up to the case neck in the brass. Would like to load a few lighter BP loads but I think I'll need some sort of filler because of the bottleneck cartridge. Correct??

Also would like to load some smokeless and am thinking I could use Trapdoor 45/70 load data??

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    This is what I found in "Cartridges of the World" 3rd edition. IMR/H4198 seems to be a useful powder although there may be several in that burn rate that would work. Even Trail Boss would do. Fluffy and low recoil. If you read up on (determining load volume procedures when you can't find data) I would use the load date shown here and then look to see where in the case the powder(smokeless) comes up to. A max load would be at or near the bullet base. Subtract 75% of that for your starting load. Kapok Fluff can be used to keep the powder up against primer. Just make sure the bullet comes out the bore.
    Hope this helps. Old data but it's all I got. Let's see if the picture loads up.

11.43x50Rmm Egyptian

A.K.A. .43 Egyptian

Sold to the Egyptian Military in 1868, by Remington, the 11.43x50Rmm Egyptian also know as the .43 Egyptian was introduced. The Egyptian government had issues meeting payments and Remington sold all 60,000 rifles and ammunition to the French who used it in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. The .43 Egyptian was also used in the Mahdist War of 1881 – 1899 and was in service until the end of World War I.

In 1870 the Egyptians began receiving the .43 Egyptian and the order was completed in 1876. It is estimated that Remington made approximately 90 million rounds in this caliber. The original cartridge was of brass and copper construction designed for Remington’s No. 1 Military rolling block rifle. The .43 Egyptian is capable of propelling a .448” dia. 400 grain bullet at 1,330 fps with 1,571 ft.-lbs. of energy.

Roberson Cartridge Company is a custom manufacture of Vintage, Obsolete, Hard to Find and Wildcat calibers.

Attachment 281463

Boolit Master
    Been a while but 74 grains goex 2F powder tube method, lyman 439186. Lube cookie under bullet
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Been a while but 74 grains goex 2F powder tube method, lyman 439186. Lube cookie under bullet
    labradigger1, you used the 439186 bullet in your Egyptian? Only asking because I was under the impression that the Egyptian was normally .448 or larger and the 439xxx bullet was too small.

Boolit Mold
    Those 43 calibers do have quite a bit of variation in groove diameter. I have a 43 Mauser model 71/84, its groove diameter runs to .446. The initial single shot carbine of the same caliber runs to
    .439. The original cartridge for the 43 Mauser took something like 77 grs of Black Powder, I prefer using smokeless I/H -4198 around 30 grs. under a 340gr bullet, some loaded them a bit heavier.
    But again the recommend chamber pressure they suggest is a maximum of 20,000 PSI. to kind of stay with that range they suggest a smokeless charge of 40% of the original Black Powder. So 77 grs BP x .40 = 30.8 grs of 4198 as a maximum. Again different powder types are going to give different chamber pressures with the amounts of powder used. The Egyptian cartridge was fired with a heavier slug so the BP ranges is a round 70 grs for the 465 gr bullet.

Boolit Master
    Had a chance to shoot the .43E yesterday. As noted, published data doesn't seem to exist. I got a smokeless load from a youtuber (some Brit or Aussie fella I think) and the general full case of XXX Black Powder from several sources.

I purchased 10 cases from Buffalo Arms which are nicely formed from 50/110 brass. I loaded 33.0 grains of IMR4198 into five cases and 65 grains of FFg under a thin veggie wad in the others. Bullets were RCBS 44-370-FB (cast a bit heavy from my scrap) as cast .448 and hand lubed with SPG.

First up was the smokeless which made me thankful I was wearing my glasses. Face full of whatever came out of there. Only fired one smokeless load.

No blow-back from the BP load but I was very cautious so can't say it was really aimed fire. All five went boom with no issues.

Bullets did not keyhole but a couple were not going absolutely straight either. Probably a little small.

Bullets as cast fall into the mouth of the BP fired cases but will not enter the mouth of the smokeless fired case. Assuming that means the smokeless round was not hot enough to expand the case mouth and fill the chamber. Don't really care as I'm going to still with BP as I have a couple of pounds of that stuff. I'm going to powder coat a few bullets to increase their size and try them next chance I get to the range. No telling when that will be.

Boolit Grand Master

An easy check of boolit size is to drop one nose first into the muzzle of the gun. If the boolit stops - good to go. If you have to tip the barrel to get it out - sorry, too small!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

#8 Cartridges of the World lists the 43 Egyptian using IMR 4198 under a 465gr lead. Bullet is Lyman #446187.

Carefull of pressure. Most sources I've seen for the old 11mm rolling blocks indicate about 25,000 psi.

I've run down this road with my 43 Spanish
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum