RepackboxPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 Long Colt ammo

Moderator Emeritus

You asked for opinions and got some. Kinda rude to slam someone when they gave an opinion that you didn't like.

He doesn't know what rare is. THIS is a rare box of ammunition.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/897749434

Haven't seen a full box for sale for years. A single cartridge sometimes brings $35.

(Just happened to show up in one of my standing searches for Stevens single-shot stuff this morning.)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Can't say I've ever had problems finding 32 Colt ammunition - but I am a patient man.
    Here's a few you'd have a tough time finding though!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was looking for .32 Smith and Wesson Long, which is the same as Colt's New Police .32, which is not the same as .32 Long Colt.

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/col...long-colt-ammo

https://www.joesalter.com/category/p...-Revolver-Ammo

http://www.rtgammo.com/obsolamm.html

https://www.shop.ammo-one1.com/searc...s=32+long+colt
    Last edited by Battis; 04-20-2021 at 08:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Or maybe these? Unfortunately, I've fired and thrown away the boxes from my 32 Colt (or perhaps given them away?).

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Can't say I've ever had problems finding 32 Colt ammunition - but I am a patient man.
    Here's a few you'd have a tough time finding though!
    What IS this one ? I can't decipher it at all, except that it's Peters.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    What IS this one ? I can't decipher it at all, except that it's Peters.
    Sorry!! It's a 1903 Government cartridge. Poor photo skills.

That was my guess, so glad to have it confirmed. I've never seen one in the flesh,
    Cognitive Dissident

New listing this morning

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/898561974

Only a partial box, though.
    Cognitive Dissident

Just did a little arithmetic:

If you buy Jack Harrison's brass and bullets, and supply your own powder and primers, cost comes to about $1.75 a round for the first loading. About $88 per box.

Subsequent reloads cost you ~$0.30 a round. (Assuming normal prices for powder and primers.) You don't even really need dies. The heeled bullets can be held in the case by a little dab of cyanoacrylate glue.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/896877996 Jack's handle on Gunbroker is tenmile
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-20-2021 at 09:52 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    There used to be a fair amount of.32 Long Colt inside-lubed ammo available at gun shows for cheep. It was a primitive cartridge for bureau-drawer revolvers that weren’t shot much, and at the time, little attention was paid to single-shot rifles in .32 Long rim- or centerfire. Finding one with a decent bore was an event, and the interest was all in the bigger calibers.

For some reason (and I use the word “reason” with my usual devil-may-care abandon), the factory still made the outside-lubricated .32 Short Colt. Navy Arms offered the rimfires, to a (mostly) unappreciative market. (I was happy with the stuff, myself.)

Loading tools and moulds could still be found as well. The tool collectors were into glamour calibers like Sharps, big Winchester and Rolling Block calibers and there was the beginning of interest in cowboy calibers. The others just sat around, unless they were pristine and complete. The heeled 299153 and 299154 were found fairly quickly. I developed perfect pitch for voices of those rummaging through piles of used moulds, and when somebody said, “Hey! Here’s a little Minie!” it was sometimes (not always) the Ideal 299155. In the fullness of time, the guy put it back down, and I grabbed it. Eventually, I even lucked into a set of RCBS reloading dies for the .32 Colt, the only set I’ve ever seen.

I still occasionally see the odd small bag of empty shells at a show, buried under bigger bags of more common shells, or a box of ammo. It isn’t a common caliber, but it isn’t very sought after, either. The bureau drawer revolvers aren’t very accurate, and the best loads I’ve developed for my rifles are more evocative of the days when the small game lit on the hunter’s shoulders than any current game or target rounds. They are up to shooting squirrels out of trees at distances measured in feet, but that’s about it. Once in a while, some curiosity seeker wants a box to try, and sounds frantic and desperate doing so, but that’s about it. I’d bet the curiosity is satisfied pretty quickly. I take my rifles (and pistol, rebarreled with a .308” tube, which helped accuracy immensely) out occasionally, but not often, especially in these days of primer shortages.

The boxes with woodcut labels are collector items, but the lithographed ones with plastic or Styrofoam trays, I dunno. I’d say 50 bucks would be a stretch.

Refined the search some more tonight. Turned up several more current listings.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Yep they are worth $250,000.00 per full box. You are a millionaire.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

A friend gave me several boxes of old .32 S & W Long the other day that someone had given him. One had several rounds of Peters nickel plated ammo in it and I did notice several .32 Colt rounds mixed in. Got to sort it out one of these days. It's not rare. Just not much around anymore.

Inventoried the .32 ammo today. Came up with 16 rounds of .32 Colt. Has a dimpled, flat nose bullet. Looks to be about 100 grains. Headstamp is R-P .32 Colt NP. Have several cases in my oddball can as well so this stuff can't be all that rare. This is from somebody's drawer somewhere. Bullets pretty well oxidized./beagle
    Last edited by beagle; 04-26-2021 at 09:33 PM. Reason: additional imfo avail
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

.32 Colt New Police is the same as .32 S&W Long only with a flat point bullet........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I consider .32 Colt to be uncommon, but hardly rare. I buy 32 Colt when I see it and have a good stash. I use it in my #4 rolling block converted to centerfire. I've also converted some to rimfire. There is a large gap between rare and uncommon. Jack's cases and bullets are great too. BTW, he also sells the Accurate Molds 31-090S heel bullet that John Kort designed. I use it mostly in my .32 Ballard Extra Long rolling block (formerly .32 extra long rimfire). It really shoots well.

Moderator Emeritus

Think the OP gave up on the thread when he found out he could not retire off the proceeds

Would break his heart to hear that I just bought 46 rounds for $30. With shipping it works out to almost exactly $1.00 per round.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I wonder why people’s feelings should be hurt by sheer, brutal economic facts. But I have to admit, mine are, too, sometimes.

I’m kind of bugged by the fact that a lot of the stuff I scrounged up to read, use and shoot is now “priceless collector’s items” whose value will diminish if I so much as touch them with an ungloved finger.

I wish these people who buy things for “investment purposes” would confine themselves to penny stocks and Florida swampland. They sure do nothing for the enjoyment of hobbies by the rest of us.

Except, of course, when I hear the table-holders at Gun Shows complaining that they haven’t sold a single overpriced item all weekend. That’s fun.

And, I realize that makes me “full of Hate.” Maybe somebody wil use me as a model for a comic-book supervillain some day. They’re all “full of Hate,” too. What would it be? “Kollektorzidem,” the bargain-scrounging Terror of Antique-Dealers everywhere!

Boolit Buddy
    32 Long Colt is a little harder to find than the 32 Short Colt but it’s out there. Just gotta know where to look.

I picked up these three boxes of 32 Short Colt this past weekend at a Gunshow in Tucson for 30 dollars a box.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12