RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Need help with a load data

Question Need help with a load data

I have 55gn gas checked .223 cast bullets I got from a fellow member a few years back
    I need a load data for h4895. I used to have it written down but my notebook was destroyed in a move. Thanks in advance
    -The GA Shark Man

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"
    "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"
    "We the Willing, Led by the Unknowing, Do what is Necessary, For the Ungrateful" - Unknown

Banned

I would start at 18/18.5 grains with a little dacron filler.
    Velocity for both was around 1900 fps and functioning was 100% reliable

got this off a post on this forum

Boolit Master
    I am surprised that boolit feeds. Not doubting it does but you wouldn't think so. Great to have a cast load that works in an AR.

It actually feeds well from pmags only
    -The GA Shark Man

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"
    "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes"
    "We the Willing, Led by the Unknowing, Do what is Necessary, For the Ungrateful" - Unknown

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure Gene Stoner used about 21.5gr IMR 4198 for the 223/5.56, but those were 55gr jacketed bullets. My Lyman 44th ED (1967) shows a 58gr GC cast bullet around 2000fps with 7.5gr Unique, 11 gr 2400, and 11gr>13.5gr IMR 4227. There are a few powder options.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The major problem people have shooting cast lead in AR's is the fast twist barrels in current rifles and their sloppy military chambers. Many folks who give up on cast in the AR don't understand that the bullet surface which engraves ~ .002" deep simply does not have adequate shear strength to spin the bullet up in such a short distance without slipping the lands and damaging the bullet's integrity. Slow the load down to the minimum which cycles the action reliably, about 2100-2200 fps for most rifles, and they will shoot even better than steel cased Russian ball!

Computer modeling of slower powders such as 4895 or Varget through QuickLoad, with bullets lighter than about 70 grains, don't develop adequate port pressure at suitable velocities normally useable with cast bullets. Harder, water-quenched bullets can be driven 2400 fps without leading, but accuracy is best in the older 12-inch twist barrels, which limits you to flat based bullets no heavier than about 65 grains. In 9" and faster twists stay below 2200 fps.

The computer-generated curves predicting pressure vs. bullet travel show that RL7 has the best characteristics to reliably function the AR and its efficiency is almost 100% with the powder being fully burned in a 16 inch barrel. A standard 20" length AR barrel is harder to make "work" as its gas port is further down the barrel than it is on the M4.

A “standard load" which works in most rifles is 15 grs. of RL 7 and the 55 gr. RCBS bullet. Putting a scope on the rifle, five-shot groups off sandbags at 100 yards averaged well under two inches in aggregate and were more accurate than the Tula FMJ.

An LE visiting the Peacemaker Training Center here in WV coming out from DC brought his agency-issue Colt Military/law enforcement model with 7-inch twist barrel. We were pleasantly surprised to see it shoot a one hole 10-shot group of 3/4 inch at 25 yards. The load of 15 grains RL7 would occasionally would short recoil, ejecting the spent casing, but without feeding another round. Additional experiments a 60-grain Saeco mold and 18 grains of IMR 3031 clocked 2100+ fps and cycled with no signs of leading. Bullets were lubricated with Lee 50/50 Alox-beeswax. Adequate bullet diameter, not less than .225" is critical to accuracy.

Load the largest bullet diameter that will chamber /function. Bullets must be of adequate hardness, not less than commercial 92-6-2 “hardball” alloy or 50-50 linotype and wheel weights, especially above 2200 fps. Heavier loads of 20-22 grains slower powders such as Varget or 4895 are needed to boost port pressure in full-length 20-inch ARs.

To load cast bullets without damage you must inside chamfer case mouths with a shallow-angle Lyman "VLD" deburring tool, and slightly bell the case mouths with a Lyman "M" die - so that the bullet can be hand started into the case mouth up to the top of its gas check and seated smoothly into the neck without risk of shaving lead. Then, during the seating operation apply a light taper crimp to remove all mouth flare, but not a heavy crimp which could deform the bullet.

Also drop-check all rounds 100% in a maximum length cartridge gage to ensure that they will chamber and extract freely. The same as required for any cast bullet load to be used in any semi-auto, AK, Garand, M1 carbine, M1911A1, etc.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

If the use will be in an AR with faster than 12" twist barrel I suggest a start load of 16 gr and use a dacron filler. Work up in 1/2 gr increments until the action functions and the bolt locks back on empty mag. Best accuracy will be just at functional reliability.....probably in the 1800 - 2000 fps range.

With a bolt or SS rifle the same applies if the twist is faster than 12". If 12 or 14" twist then start at 18 gr, use the dacron filler and work up in 1/2 gr increments until accuracy goes south.

If you don't have enough to work up a load then try 19 gr with the dacron filler. It will be what it will be depending on the quality of the castings and the barrel twist.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Length and weight are factors. Longer bullets stabilize better than shorter, lighter ones and I know I'm preaching to the choir here pretty much. Also OP mentioned "H4895" not "IMR4895" although I know they are close.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp