Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading .38 Special wadcutters, sizing and crimp?

Loading .38 Special wadcutters, sizing and crimp?

Recently I read a post about loading unsized, tumble lubed wad cutters in unsized .38 Special cases. The purpose was to maintain as much diameter as your revolver chambers will allow. I tried some this am and the wc's are too loose in the cases, even after a Redding TC crimp die. I also tried an older Hornady seat and crimp die, but I could still spin the bullet in the case. Next I tried only sizing the top 3/16" or so of the case, which created some neck tension, followed by the Redding TC die, which seemed to work much better. I don't have a Lee FCD for the new-to-me .38 Special, which I saw as a suggestion. How much if any crimp do I really need? What about the Redding TC die, I bought it for my .357 Max? Thanks in advance for your comments, hc18flyer

Super Moderator

I crimp 38 WC's just enough to remove any of the bell from the expander die.

This sounds more than a little flaky. Your wadcutters only need to be a thou or so bigger than your chamber throats. Not sizing the bullet to fit the gun, and the brass to fit the bullet just sounds like laziness to me.

My own .38 target loading went as far as making several custom expander plugs so my brass always fit the bullet. (Different makes, and even variation of temper of the brass affect the expanded I. D.)
    Cognitive Dissident

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Redding Profile Crimp die sizes the bullets by compression inside the case. If you pull down a loaded round the "oversized" bullet is reduced in diameter to .3585-.359 in typical wadcutter brass and to .358-.3585 in other .38 Special.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

You need enough crimp to keep the bullet from moving in the case under recoil.

Both the Redding Profile Crimp die and Lee Factory Crimp Die size the body of the cartridge/bullet down and apply a Roll Crimp. I would expect a roll crimp to keep your bullet from spinning. I would also expect your Hornady die to roll crimp as well.

If you do have a Taper Crimp die it may not provide enough crimp to secure the bullet.

Are you getting any sign of a roll crimp on the case mouth?

There's probably only two ways you can go on this: (1) If you are loading commercially cast bullets you are purchasing in quantity, like boxes of 500, then they will probably already be sized and lubed, likely to .357". (2) If you are casting your own, then you'll want to buy a sizing-lubing machine, and can purchase the s&l dies of the diameter you want. As for a crimp, that is easily done with standard reloading dies, and you can roll crimp or taper crimp, but the best solution is to acquire a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. You describe your bullets as being loose in the case, but uniformity in loading is one of the keys to accuracy. Uniformity would include uniformity of crimp in type and amount. Do you have a micrometer or caliper, and have you measured the diameter of your bullets? Perhaps they are undersized, for which I know of no solution except to melt and recast them.

DG

Loading an unsized case?

If the cases weren't fired in a tight chamber,
    I'd be a little surprised the boolits didn't drop all the way to the bottom of the case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

He's saying that the bullets are also unsized. For all we know they may be big enough to have some friction in the unsized cases.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Loading an unsized case?

If the cases weren't fired in a tight chamber,
    I'd be a little surprised the boolits didn't drop all the way to the bottom of the case.
    Yes! Unsized cases AND unsized bullets at .360", same as Winchester or Remington HBWC bullets. They are friction tight in the brass and seated to depth only, then separately profiled and crimped, in the same manner that factory wadcutter are loaded.

THAT is why Lee called it the Factory Crimp Die.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Interesting. How long has .38 ammo been manufactured this way? I've never heard or read about it before.
    Last edited by uscra112; 04-17-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    The OP doesn't say what size the wadcutters are that he is using. If they are commercial wadcutters other than Remington (they stopped making them a couple of years ago), then they will be too small. I use the Remington's and I cast my own, both of which are .360" and they fit fine. I just use enough crimp to remove the slight flaring of the case mouth.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Well, I have loaded thousands of 38sp WCs. Always used WC brass, sized and boolits sized and lubed. Tried tumble lube and Lee WC and I didn’t like them, neither did my 14-15-19-27 or M&P Target. I don’t like Rem brass either. Size mine to .360”. Use standard 38sp die to crimp and been doing it that way for 50yrs.

I will reread all of your posts tonight. I am casting in a .358 Lachmiller DEWC and tumblelubing them in bll. I don't have a micrometer, just a digital caliper. I plan to work on them again in the morning. I wouldn't be competing, just want to work up an accurate load. Tom

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Yes! Unsized cases AND unsized bullets at .360", same as Winchester or Remington HBWC bullets. They are friction tight in the brass and seated to depth only, then separately profiled and crimped, in the same manner that factory wadcutter are loaded.

THAT is why Lee called it the Factory Crimp Die.
    Thanks to Outpost75, I’ve been loading all my practice ammo like this for years. It works.

I don't think that it would be very smart to leave your cases unsized. Unless you have some sort of post-sizer, you might just want to size your batch before expanding and seating.

Apparently that's what the Factory Crimp Die does. Size both case and bullet and crimp in one operation. Sounds like an idea from the Product Cheapening Engineers, but hey, if it doesn't degrade the results at the range.......
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    My Lee 38/357 carbide crimp die will not size an unsized case fired in my gun I can push a fired case past the carbide ring with hand pressure well past where a bullet would seat in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    My Lee 38/357 carbide crimp die will not size an unsized case fired in my gun I can push a fired case past the carbide ring with hand pressure well past where a bullet would seat in the case.
    Same for me. I size my cases before seating my boolits. I seat the boolits before crimping in a separate step. My Lee FCD doesn't touch the case with the carbide ring unless my boolit is significantly oversize and has bulged the case. Pulled boolts confirm that the boolits are NOT sized below what I intended them to be. The only unsized boolits I use measure .357-.359. Most run right at .358.

I always use a roll crimp. My experience indicates I get more consistent powder burn with a good roll crimp than with a taper crimp. No worries about boolit movement from recoil.

This is what works for me in several S&W revolvers(7). Your mileage may vary of course.

I always sized my bullets, sized my cases, seated bullets using a traditional seater, (RCBS) set to give a significant roll crimp. It worked for generations before me, and it worked for me.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Interesting. How long has .38 ammo been manufactured this way? I've never heard or read about it before.
    This has been the factory method ever since the .38 Special cartridge was first loaded with smokeless powder.

The purpose of the case cannelure was to position the bullet base to keep the bullet from dropping down onto the powder, the crimping machine profiled the case and crimped it. Loading fired brass in this manner the bullet must be large enough to provide a slight friction fit to hold the bullet in place until rounds get to the crimping station.

This method reduces base deformation caused by forcing a soft bullet into a tight case.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast