Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast 30-30 for bear

Boolit Master
    If you shoot the bear where you should, the bullet will work just fine. If you hit the bear in the ar-se, well then we have shooter failure, NOT bullet failure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    .................. He has backup in the form of a Model 29 on his hip, and dogs, but even these smaller bears are dangerous creatures. I wouldn't want to face one under any circumstances with ammo that's not up to the task.
    A “29” is the first thing I’d reach for in troubled times!

A pair of bow hunters that I know fairly well were in a tree stand. They stuffed an arrow in a nice bear. The bear decided to use its now limited time on earth to CLIMB their tree .........

...... By the time the bears chin reached the boot rest of the stand those two fellers had their tootsie toes tucked pretty far back and arrows drawn!

Right about then Mr. Bear’s lights went out and it fell back to the ground!

Talk about PUCKER FACTOR!

Our State has since revised its law and a bow hunter can now pack a back up hand gun during a bow hunt!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I did a pretty primitive test today, just for curiosity. I was headed to the range anyhow. I took along some gallon jugs full of water and some 1" cedar boards from some old pallets.

I stacked four boards and sat a jug in front of it. I shot one with a JSP factory round, and one with a cast 170gr bullet. Both jugs exploded with what appeared to be about the same violence. The JSP bullet was lodged in the 3rd board behind the jug, and the cast bullet went through all four, with a fragment of lead barely lodged in the railroad tie behind the boards.

Same weight bullet, same velocity, similar penetration and transfer of energy. I'm satisfied with that. I'll give him a box to try if he's comfortable with them.
    You proved what lots of dead bears know ,That 170 gr Lee ? will @ BHN15 kill most anything hit with it if placed properly .My 500 gr Cedar tipped 2 blade just does it quieter @ 190 FPS , still have to point it in the right direction/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Different cartridge
    Last edited by NEKVT; 04-20-2021 at 04:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    PM sent. I have 2 boxes of Federal 170 grain Powershoks plus an an extra 5 without the box.

Boolit Master
    The ability to break down a bear is important. First, a bear's lungs aren't as long as a deer's. The heart is protected by the front legs. So, the perfect bullet placement is in the front leg (see Boddington's Perfect Shot, NA), and it needs to break the front leg to get to the forward-placed vitals.

It must be exciting to hunt a bear ...
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Boolit Master

Lyman Mold #311291 was my family's 30/30 and 30/06 deer and bear bullet. Loaded with 29-30 grains 3031 powder in the 30/30. They killed my twin nephews first bears with no thoughts about them not going to be good enough for that.

My 30/06 had no problem killing deer and bear at all with them. Casting back in the 60 and 70's wheel weight and some tin worked great on game.

Boolit Master

Just my .02 worth; I, personally, would temper the Lyman 311041 in hollow point configuration. Top half soft(er) lead 13-14 Brinnell, the bottom half hard(er) about 17-18 Brinnell.

Only problem is, you cannot find any level of consistency, close though.

I would be interested to know what he used, and how well it worked...............

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

If your friend is a Govt Trapper then he's killed DOZEN's of bear. We were friends with one in East TX, he preferred a 22 mag rifle and a pack of hounds. The state kept him in good supply of 22mag and 12 ga #4 buck, which he didn't like.

I'm sure your loads will be fine, go for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12