Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reduced velocity for decreasing wind drift

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a quote from Hornady. "Ballistic Coefficient (BC) values can, and usually do change in value with changes in velocity. Most bullets exhibit a lowering BC as velocity slows. The extent of how much a BC will change depends on each unique bullet shape. When comparing BCs of different bullets, it is important to use an apples-to-apples approach."

Boolit Buddy
    I do believe it might be useful to have subsonic loads - but only for the shorter ranges, say out to 300-400. Any further out, the vertical will show up much more and negate any wind drift benefit. At least, that's what I believe - and that's also the reason I built a heavy-bullet fast-twist 32-20. I should really chrono it, but it seems to work well out to 300m. It seems to like a 152gr bullet, but a 173gr Pope-style shoots well too. I'm now waiting on a David Mos mould which should be tailored to the rifle/chamber combination. But 1st I would like to be able to shoot, haven't been able to fire a single round in 6+ months...

Boolit Buddy
    Talk about timing, I just started reading my copy of the “Modern Schuetzen Rifle” by Schwartz Dell. In it they mention numerous time the benefits of subsonic loads to reduce wind drift. Of course they are shooting at 200 yds.
    Chill, I would certainly be interested in those books you mention!
    Leadpot, sounds like you have the best of both the old world and new world with the luxury of a long range at home. Please don’t tell me you just open your window at home and your bench rest is in the den.
    Don, I’m going to start to be a bit more aware of the wind...especially the subtleties.
    Thanks again guys all good info,
    Cheers Richard

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Richard on the range sometimes its the flags that are lying, and it's the mirage that needs to be heeded.
    There are a couple of ranges I've shot Creedmoor on, that the mirage actually has 2 or sometimes 3 layers, and if you don't look past an thru the first , things won't go particularly well.
    Lots of voodoo, involved in getting the bullet on target sometimes.
    Couple of notable quotes I've over heard from top spotters, "well looks like with these conditions every shot is going to be starting a new match" and " let me roll these chicken bones again before you get in the gun"
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Don, I’m sure that takes a lot of experience to see through two or three layers of mirage,in fact, I’ve never New there was a phenomenon like that but it does not surprise me. It’s like seeing wave patterns at sea you can see two but seeing 3 or more just takes time and observation; or like seeing Bonefish, not known as the Grey Ghost for nothing, out of the water they are silver in the water they reflect the bottom and almost disappear from sight, sometimes only their shadow gives them away....takes a long time to learn to see them too. Thanks Don for the help
    Richard

No Richard I cant use the field anymore. My Neighbor passed and his Daughter is anti everything. She even called the sheriff on his best friend for walking his dog on the waterways in the field.
    But yes, I can shoot out of my kitchen window or from the front porch where I have a bench into a large berm I pushed up at the fence line

People are changing, not just here but all over this great Country.

Richard I think a lot of the attraction to this game beyond the nostalgia of shooting 100 plus year old technology, is the challenge that simple basic things mother nature can throw at you.

Boolit Buddy
    Leadpot, sorry to hear that, no accounting for some people, sad really.
    Don, when you think about it I’m as guilty as others when it comes to ignoring things governed by nature, human body included. Some of nature whims you can’t control but just need to learn to minimize their effect as in reading the wind or mirage, same thing for offhand practice. I spent most of my time in pistol and rifle shooting trying to get the best groups and minimize the “human factor” , spending that time and money too on toys and tools and much less time on reading wind or offhand practice. I think one can see that in the gun magazines, at least most of them on the bookstore shelf, touting the latest gun or gadget and very little of wind “doping”, physical conditioning or offhand shooting, no bucks to be made in that area I suppose. Like I mentioned I’m as guilty as charged in this area.
    Off on a tangent, but I wonder what would be the result in this country if gun safety and shooting was taught in grade schools with air rifles and smallbore was taught in high schools. What am I smoking lol. Fat chance that ever happening.
    Richard

Richard there was a time not so terribly long ago when high schools had rifle teams, and shotgun teams. Some isolated places still do.
    Take a look at the sheer number of youngsters participating in the 4H shooting sports.. and the number of young hunters.
    There is still some hope

One more thing if you take or buy on occasion the BPC News, the next issue is supposed to have a full write up about the Desert International match held this past March at the Ben Avery Range. The load details ( altho the only patched shooter was Ray Hanson with his muzzle loader) will reveal some stuff that is likely to make some collective heads expode.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Richard there was a time not so terribly long ago when high schools had rifle teams, and shotgun teams. Some isolated places still do.
    Take a look at the sheer number of youngsters participating in the 4H shooting sports.. and the number of young hunters.
    There is still some hope
    I sincerely hope that the times change but I'm not holding my breath.

You should have seen the consternation on the face of my principal when I and a few parents approached him with the concept of a fully funded air-rifle club at the middle school. I thought he was going to have a coronary. After that it was all obstacles, one after another after another.

I'm old enough to remember the days when we could go to school, put the .22 with ammo in the coat room, and go hunting when the school day was over.

Boolit Buddy
    I guess that news will be in the Summer issue of BPCNews.
    I remember the same and at 15 bought .22 ammo and shotgun shells at the local hardware store. 82 years young, in my mind...my body has it own thoughts though.
    Best Richard

Boolit Buddy
    Well I’m getting serious about trying subsonic loads! The club I’m going to join hold a BPCR 200yd, 10 shot, Benchrest shoot twice a month. As a refresher, my current load in my 45-70 is 81.5gns Swiss F1.5, 530gn PP elliptical MV 1250fps. I want to use the same bullet seated almost completely into the rifling as I do now and get the velocity to 1050 to 1100 FPS. For no good reason I’d rather not use case fillers (although it may come to that). My thoughts run to filler wads something like a half inch thick veggie wad or two quarter inch thick veggie wads. An extreme thought is machining a brass filler to press into the case to reduce case volume. It would have a hole in it naturally for the primer flame and covered with a newspaper wad to prevent powder from getting into the extended flash hole. Would only need to make around 15 so that’s not too bad. Seating the PP bullet deep into the case may be one option though. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions ? Any idea on where to find thick veggie wads?
    Thanks guys,
    Richard

1f powder, or as you say seating the bullet deeper.
    To much wad stack can cause you grief.
    If the leading edge of the patch engages the rifling an 1/8 inch or so it'll likely shoot well.
    Have never quite grasped on to the need to load a 45-90 load in a 45-70 case.

Banned

Back in the late 50's to very early 60s I rode a bus and train to high school rifle team practice with my cased rifle. No one even blinked an eye. The good ol' dayze that'll never return.

Loading a PPB .1" into a .45-70 case full of 1-1/2F sorta makes it into a kinda virtual .45-90 whether one likes it or not.

Vendor Sponsor

Here are the two books referenced. Some fun reading along with some hard math and science. Even covers info on the big Naval Guns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedDSCN2354.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Go with a heavy for caliber boolit subsonic. Maybe 750.gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It would be interesting to see actual Doppler radar printouts verse the ballistic programs based on models.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Fiberoptik did you mean 570 grains. I was looking to see if BACO had any but no.
    Chill, thanks for the book titles, appreciate it .
    Don, I can understand what you are saying and compared to most of you here I’m a novice when it comes to BPCR shooting, and most of my BPCR load development come from this PP site in general. Your comment about not understanding why 45-90 loads are put in a 45-70 case was never, to my knowledge, ever addressed here before. It was always about getting the bullet shoved so far up the spout that to get it any further up would require a breech seater. It would be nice if the was a factory 45-60 case. I will try seating the PP bullet deep in the case with about a 1/8 of paper into the rifling, my loads now are shooting under 1 moa but wind is my nemesis that I need to come to grips with too.
    Thanks guys, Richard

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flatsguide View Post
    ... I will try seating the PP bullet deep in the case with about a 1/8 of paper into the rifling, my loads now are shooting under 1 moa but wind is my nemesis that I need to come to grips with too.
    Thanks guys, Richard
    Under 1moa at what distance and with what shooting position?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast