Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading UKRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2ADvertise hereTitan Reloading

Thread: 6.5x55 barrel to a 93 mauser

6.5x55 barrel to a 93 mauser

i got a 93 spanish mauser(1926), could it be used with a Numrich 6.5x55 (model 1895) barrel?

i've looked at 7x57 and 6.5 swede and they both came up with 46,000 CUP or 51,000psi. i've also looked up the mauser chart and found that they "could"?

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal...e.html#barrels

i put the barrel on to the action hand tight(i do mean one hand) and the threads are all right, i just couldn't screw the barrel the whole way on.

i'd ask my gunsmith, but he's away on vacation. so i better ask here!!!!!
    The strength of a wall is neither greater nor less than the courage of the men who defend it.
    Genghis Khan

MOLON LABE

Moderator & CBPAO

Will it screw on? Yes. In theory, M-93 and M-96 Mausers have the same 12V thread and same length thread shank. Mauser barrels get tighter as they are screwed in so that they won't loosen and turn out from shooting. A barrel wrench is usually required for the last couple of turns. But when your gunsmith returns he may not be happy with you if he has to take the barrel off again for any of several reasons. Unless you're lucky, the headspace my not be quite right, and a bit of machining needed to adjust it. Also of possible concern, not knowing your plans, the sight may not turn up to top dead center. Wait for the gunsmith.

DG

Boolit Master
    yes,its easy to do.......most mauser military sights are soft soldered,with sometimes a tiny screw for alignment.....simply apply a bit of heat and see if the sights will turn easily (solder has viscosity like water )....dont overheat,and dont muck about or all the solder will run out..........Personally ,i doubt a 6.5x55 will stack and feed properly in a 7x57 magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Will it screw on? Yes. In theory, M-93 and M-96 Mausers have the same 12V thread and same length thread shank. Mauser barrels get tighter as they are screwed in so that they won't loosen and turn out from shooting. A barrel wrench is usually required for the last couple of turns. But when your gunsmith returns he may not be happy with you if he has to take the barrel off again for any of several reasons. Unless you're lucky, the headspace my not be quite right, and a bit of machining needed to adjust it. Also of possible concern, not knowing your plans, the sight may not turn up to top dead center. Wait for the gunsmith.

DG

i was able to make the barrel hand tight(i only have one hand, the other is disabled). the barrel is "in the white" with no sights and no D&T on the barrel. i don't have a barrel vice or a barrel wrench to tighten the barrel. i think that the barrel has to go another 3/8 - 1/2" on the threads. i stopped spinning the barrel when it became effort. i was and am worried about the headspace, but i don't have the tools or machine to do it. i let my gunsmith to do it!!!

i am a bubbed up gun "tinkeror". i know enuff to stop at a certain point, before i funked it up. other than replacing steel parts, i let my gunsmith do all the work. i can cover up my mistakes on wooden stocks. i do not have the ability to cover up the barrel and action.
    The strength of a wall is neither greater nor less than the courage of the men who defend it.
    Genghis Khan

MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    What you need to be careful of with 93s is the softness and weakness of the reciever........many professional gunsmiths have been caught by this and damaged the recievers........You should always put a close fitting arbor in the boltway and reciever ring,to limit any squashing that will prevent the bolt from fitting back in the action.