Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 357mag reduced loads

Boolit Mold

357mag reduced loads

looking for 357 reduced loads using bullseye and 110g and 125g cast

I'd load about 4 to 5 grains Bullseye for a light plinking load.

You can go lower, but watch out for a bullet stuck in the barrel.

I used to load 2.1 grains W231 under a soft lead 148 grain HBWC in 38 Special. It was a true gallery load and if you hit something like an old tire at the range, the bullet would bounce off and come right back at you! I know, because it happened to my girl friend at the time. It didn't break the skin, but her lip swelled up a little!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that pressure tested and published .38 Special +P loads are safe and acceptable in .357 brass, but give lower pressure and velocity than the same charge in .38 Special brass. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition (2010) is a useful reference, comparing the "starting" loads listed for .357 against the +P loads in .38 Special for the same weight and similar shape of bullet.

Cartridge overall length in .357 brass is generally longer, which reduces load density and lowers pressure and velocity, such that the .38 +P charge when loaded and seated longer in the .357 brass more closely approximates a standard-pressure .38 Special load. It is necessary to increase the powder charge a grain or so, if you actually want to match the +P velocity and not produce a milder target load..

Example, p.255
    .38 Special, #356242 120 grains #2 alloy, 1.450" OAL, 4.9 grs. Bullseye, 1045 fps @ 18,400 cup

compare, p.258
    .357 Magnum, #356242 120-grains #2 alloy, 1.585" OAL, 5.7 grs. Bullseye, 1045 fps @ 16,500 cup
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    3 grains of virtually any fast burning powder makes a powderpuff load in 38 Special brass. Bump it up as you see fit. My cowboy load is 2.7 grains of Clays with either a 105 or a 125.

Boolit Master
    I really like Red Dot/Promo 5.0 gr. under a 120~125 gr. boolit in a .357 case.
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Boolit Master

I use 3.5grs of Bullseye under a 154gr #358477 or Lee #358-158-RF.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub

Can't help you with Bullseye, but I really like 6.5 gr of Green Dot with a 125 gr cast bullet.

Unique makes some mighty fine mouse fart 357 loads

Boolit Master

The Lee 125 RF over 4.5 BE in a Mag case runs roughly 950fps out of a hand gun and 1200 fps out of a rifle. It is a 3moa load @100yds out of the rifle and as accurate as you and your pistol are. I load it at 4.2 BE as my standard .38spl load in 38 brass (900fps).
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

You dont say how much reduced you want from your 357 but 3 grains of Bullseye with either of those two cast boolits will give you a good plinking load and accuracy .
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    One of the nice things about revolvers is you can load them so the bullet just exits the barrel all the way up to fire snorting loads.

The fast powders work nicely at the lower end. Just take your pick and load some up.

Just to say it again, if using pipsqueak loads, make sure the bullet exits the barrel!!!!!!!! If you don't see a bullet impact, STOP shooting, empty the gun and check the barrel.

Boolit Master

Yes, be careful of sticking a bullet in a large case with a minimum load.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    I like Lee's little 105 grain swc boolit over some fast powder in .357 cases.

Boolit Grand Master
    In a .357 I have shot a couple pounds worth of bullseye with 4.0 grains under the 356-242 120 grain.

For awhile, my lead supply had dried up and I was trying to stretch my lead supplies, so I went this route. They were not as accurate as heavier boolits, but for practice out to 25 yards, they'd do just fine. At least, once you figured out the correct amount of holdover. They do shoot a a little low.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

357 Magnum Cast Boolit Loads
    Load in In 357 magnum cases , 110 grain to 125 grain cast boolits , sized .358
    Load 5.0 grains of any of the following powders :
    700X
    Bullseye
    Accurate #2
    HP38
    W231
    Red Dot
    They will all do just fine with a 5.0 grain load .
    These are 357 magnum loads to be fired in 357 magnum revolvers ...
    ...do not load in 38 special cases ...

What powders can you get / have on hand ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I've had nothing but trouble from reduced .357 loads; even the low end of the magnum range has given me stuck bullets with some powder/primer combinations. Titegroup and Remington SP primers combo was the absolute worst. Even though the primers were brand new, I got 4 stuck bullets in one shooting session, and the ones that did make it out of the barrel were all different velocities. They may have been defective primers, though the exact same rounds fired from my Rossi M92 ran very nicely. I assume that the ignition was delayed just enough in the chamber to allow the bullet past the cylinder gap, but not get it through the forcing cone.

This is what 38 Special was made for! (OK, not really, but it works really well here.)

Boolit Bub

Not wanting to hijack a thread here but im hunting similar mouse fart loads for .357 with heavier cas bullets. 158 and 172 keiths. Im low on .357 brass but have a ton of nickel .38 spc.

As for the lighter bullet I concur with 3.5-4.0 BE. Under a 125grn, 12 bhn, sized .358 (my S&W 681)and lubed
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk, that will teach you to keep your mouth shut!"
    - Earnest Hemmingway

" I'd rather be lucky than good, GET SOME!" Mr. Revolver" - Jerry Miculek

In 357 brass I like 4.4 grains of BE with both the Lee 125 rf and the tl 158 swc.

Boolit Buddy
    We have shot a lot of reduced 357 loads through rifles. 4.0 to 4.3 gr bullseye with a cast 125 has shot well in multiple guns, and enough power that we don't stick bullets in 20" barrels. Any of the fast pistol powders are worth a try. I'm actually using 800-x this year.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are plenty of loads listed so I will not bore you with more data. I do not shoot full power loads in .357 as I like one load for both plinking/training and the occasional critter eradication. I find .38 Spl brass is all I need. It is a bit less expensive to purchase, uses a bit less powder, and lasts just as long. If you decide you want two loads, it makes sense to use .38 brass for the light loads and .357 for the full power loads. It makes it easy not to get them mixed up.

charlie b is correct about using almost any fast powder for your needs. My CAS loads with 125 or 130 gr bullets shot into about an inch for 10 shots at 30 yards. I used Clays and stopped experimenting as it was good enough for that sport. I would look at it two ways....is there a powder you want to use up...then use it and find a load. Or is there a powder you have a lot of.....then start with that.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast