WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping a rifle; I anticipate issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm.
    https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-...Shipping-Guide
    That article does not say that federal law so requires. Do you have a citation?

I have had zero luck shipping anything if I tell them it contains a firearm. It creates a great deal of hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    That article does not say that federal law so requires. Do you have a citation?

I have had zero luck shipping anything if I tell them it contains a firearm. It creates a great deal of hassle.
    The article does say what I said it says and the statement in my post is a copy-and-paste from the article. The citation was provided in the form of a URL that will take you directly to the article.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    The article does say what I said it says and the statement in my post is a copy-and-paste from the article. The citation was provided in the form of a URL that will take you directly to the article.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    I assume they're talking about 18 U.S.C. 922(e):

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

I don't want to opine too much on it other than to say this appears to be narrower than what the ATF's website suggests.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Call BATF is you have questions.

I've shipped several hundred guns. It cost around $60-75 insured through USPS. The only guns I had damaged were through UPS.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I always thought it was the FFL who had to ship them.
    I think that’s just handguns.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Nope. Only handguns.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me. The last time I shipped a gun (early’90s), I was only told not to include the bolt in the same package. No other paperwork. A lot has changed.

Banned

I sent a gun via the postal service about ten years ago. No problems, in fact, a lot easier for me than Fedex or UPS since I didn't have to drive 40 miles to drop it off. Very small town post office where I knew the postmaster who was a very feet on the ground type of gal. I asked first and she didn't know but said she'd find out, checked the regs and as long as it was going to an FFL (it was) no problems.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post

USPS
    - can ship long guns only unless your a FFL holder
    - FFL holders can ship pistols FFL to FFL using USPS - and it can be priority mail not overnight.
    - can ship individual to FFL holder
    - Box the long gun up. Securely package it. Lots of bubble wrap.
    - DO NOT mark the outside the box that it contains a firearm.
    - Insure the package for the sale price of the weapon.
    - include a copy of the FFL, a copy of your state issued ID (DL or ID), and a copy of the bill of sale (optional)
    - ship priority mail only
    That is correct for mailing a long gun to someone else. It is not correct if you are sending it to yourself for hunting. I mail rifles to Alaska to myself and back to myself . It's easier than taking them thru multiple airlines.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-t...e...%20More%20

Shipping Firearms Without an FFL
    For those of us who do not hold an FFL but want to mail a firearm, ATF terms us as nonlicensees. As a nonlicensee under basic federal law, your ability to mail a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service—USPS—without the involvement of an FFL is limited:

You can ship a firearm to yourself in a state where you plan “to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity.” You must address it to yourself “in care of” the out-of-state resident. Once it arrives, no one but you can take possession of or open the package, so you must be at the destination to receive it.
    You can ship a firearm to another nonlicensed person in your state. While the post office will allow nonlicensees to mail long guns to other nonlicensees in the same state, it restricts its services for handguns and pistols to FFL holders. Nonlicensees who want to ship a handgun are limited to contract carriers, which—by the way—require that you ship the gun to or through an FFL holder.
    You can ship a firearm to a person in another state only if you ship it to an FFL holder in the destination state. That is, if you wish to transfer a firearm to a nonlicensee who resides in another state, you must ship the gun to an FFL holder in your recipient’s state. The FFL holder will release the firearm to the person once they’ve completed the ATF Form 4473 and NICS background check. Even if you are shipping a gun for repair, if your gunsmith is out-of-state, they must either hold an FFL themselves or receive your gun through someone who does.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

I always took them to work and shipped them with ups. The company discount was about 80% off of what you would pay at the hub. Overnighted a 1911 pistol to STI in Texas. Cost $ 12 or so. I used usps to ship a rifle once and it was over $70. Last time I ever do that.

Banned

My local post office won’t let me ship unprimed brass!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Why did you tell them? Anytime I ship anything they ask "anything hazardous, liquid or fragile/" none of the above in any possible way. What's in the package beyond that is really of no concern.

Boolit Master

UPS says to take a firearm to a UPS Hub for shipping, but I have no idea what a UPS Hub is, or how to find one. I cannot find any use of the term "Hub" on the UPS website when searching for locations.

My nearest zip code with people is 83843 if anyone can figure out where one of these magical "Hubs" are at.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Why not?

If you don't tell them what it is and answer the questions truthfully it will ship.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

UPS says to take a firearm to a UPS Hub for shipping, but I have no idea what a UPS Hub is, or how to find one. I cannot find any use of the term "Hub" on the UPS website when searching for locations.

My nearest zip code with people is 83843 if anyone can figure out where one of these magical "Hubs" are at.
    Follow a brown truck around till it returns to home. Bingo, you just found the hub.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Follow a brown truck around till it returns to home. Bingo, you just found the hub.

Or go to https://www.ups.com/dropoff/

put in your ZIP. You're looking for the Customer Service centers.
    NRA Benefactor.

Pullman WA. the customer service centers. everything else is a contract store or drop box

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Your PO is run by idiots. Unprimed brass is scrap metal. Since when is it illegal to ship scrap metal?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12