WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a rifle; I anticipate issues.

Boolit Master

Shipping a rifle; I anticipate issues.

Got a couple of rifles for sale on Gunbroker and one of the auctions is ending today. So yesterday, I went to the Post Office, which is 100 yards from my house, and asked the Postmaster there how to mail a rifle. I know I have to have a copy of the FFL and have to mail it to the dealer. Just wanted to get an idea of the cost and hassle, and if they wanted to inspect it before I taped up the box and all that to make sure it was unloaded.

He had no idea what the rules or process was. He looked on his computer for a few minutes and finally printed off a few sheets and handed them to me and told me to read up on it.

I'm thinking I may just go to UPS and have them ship it.

I figured the small town local post office would be simple and easy, but maybe not.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

The best way to do this is to go to your local FFL and pay him to mail the rifle for you.

He will put your rifle on his books, fill out the PS 1508 form, and the post office will accept the boxed rifle from him.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always thought it was the FFL who had to ship them.

Boolit Buddy
    The Post Office insurance is about completely worthless, too. They’ve broken a rifle stock at the wrist once on a gun I shipped, and wouldn’t pay for the damage. If there’s an easy way to disassemble the barreled action from the stock to shorten the package you might want to do so.

My experience is that a UPS store won’t ship it. I think it will have to be done at a UPS hub. I’ve decided the best route is to visit my ffl and see if he’ll let me pack it, and he ship it for me. The transfer fee he charges is offset by the better rate he gets on shipping.

Also, if I pack it, I can satisfy myself that it’s done properly. I always take lots of good pictures of the condition of the gun and the way I pack it, in case of a damage claim.

Banned
    Because shipping costs are passed on to the purchaser, I would be inclined to use FedEx or UPS instead of USPS.

I think Tatume's suggestion may be an even better route. It will add to the cost of the process but it is a cost borne by the purchaser.

I have encountered FFL holders that will only deal with FFL to FFL transfers. That has nothing to do with USPS or any other shipping but it does simplify matters.

My personal preference is FedEx, but I have a regional FedEx center not far from me and they have excellent service at the counter.

With my FFl the cost is break-even between me driving to a UPS hub (45 miles each way) and paying them $70, or paying the FFL $20 and the USPS about $60 with insurance. The insurance is worthless as insurance, but I think USPS is less likely to lose a package insured for $1000.

If it were me, I'd go UPS or Fedex if either were close to you. And Box well. I got an old Mauser from a gentleman here that lives in WA and he packaged really well and sent USPS, but cost was $70. Might as well use UPS or FEDEX at that price.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have shipped rifles with UPS and not had any issues. The price was reasonable.

I take them to a “ box and ship” store and send them with FedEx to the purchser’s FFL. I have had zero problems- so far.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I always thought it was the FFL who had to ship them.
    Nope. Only handguns.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Just read through most of the applicable regs and confirmed I can mail it to an FFL in another state. But, I was planning on mailing it in the original box the rifle came in. Nope. Cannot have any markings on the box to indicate that a firearm is inside. So, I may still mail it in the original box, but just wrap it up in paper sacks.

But, I have to present it to the post office and let them open it up for inspection, so can't wrap it up until they inspect it. This is for a Marlin 1894 that looks like will sell for $600.

The other rifle is a Ruger M77 "boat paddle" rifle that I bought new in 2000. ox is long gone, so I bought a cheap $20 rifle hard case to ship it in. Hoping it sells for around $1000, to make all the effort worth it.

Cast Boolits Owner

I box rifles up discreetly including a copy of the FFL, a copy of my communication with the receiving FFL, a copy of my DL, and the contact information of the final recipient. I then take it to the USPS counter, answer all questions, purchase insurance, add signature required, pay their fee and send it on its way. Easy peasy.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

I have shipped several rifles through USPS with no issues. I do the packing to make certain that the possibility of damage is reduced. I have found that the cheapest way to get insurance is to ask for $501.00 of insurance.
    Very true that the packaging cannot indicate that there is a rifle inside. In fact even when I sent it to a gun shop I leave off the gun shop title and just use the address.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

ADMIN

There are some changes in each state but here is a couple pointers.

USPS
    - can ship long guns only unless your a FFL holder
    - FFL holders can ship pistols FFL to FFL using USPS - and it can be priority mail not overnight.
    - can ship individual to FFL holder
    - Box the long gun up. Securely package it. Lots of bubble wrap.
    - DO NOT mark the outside the box that it contains a firearm.
    - Insure the package for the sale price of the weapon.
    - include a copy of the FFL, a copy of your state issued ID (DL or ID), and a copy of the bill of sale (optional)
    - ship priority mail only

UPS
    - According to their own web site you can get fined if you ship a firearm using their service and you aren't a daily shipper.
    - So you can't just go online and ship it. If you do and it is lost then you are screwed as they will not honor insurance.
    - I suppose you can carry it in but then you have to declare it and make sure you insure it for MAX value as it might not make it where it is going.

FedEx
    - This is my go to on handguns or anything that is too costly via USPS.
    - You do have to declare what is in the package but I typically just put machined parts.
    - I insure it for sale price.
    - For handguns, I use their provided boxes. Again, bubble wrap is your friend.
    - According to their regulations, handguns MUST go overnight. This isn't a BATFE requirement but a requirement of the carrier.
    - I typically use 2nd day air or even use ground if it will arrive the next day anyway.
    - The requirement for NDA is that they want to get the firearm out of their hands ASAP.

I know I didn't say this in every section above but DO NOT mark the outside of the box that it contains a firearm.
    I would also state that I personally wouldn't tell anyone that it contains a firearm.

Well that's all I got. I have shipped 40 or 50 firearms over the past years.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Grand Master
    Took a Norinco 97 shotgun to mail yesterday at the USPS. They measured the box, stuck it on the scales, I showed them the FFL it was going to in order to prove that it was going to an FFL, paid my money and left. They know me there and know I occasionally ship things like that. Another town might be different, but here, no problem.

Boolit Master
    You don’t even need the dealers FFL you are mailing the rifle to. Just verify they are a active dealer on the ATF web site.
    Be prepared for sticker shock. I mailed a Win 94 from TN to MT yesterday and with insurance it cost me $72 thru USPS.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 04-16-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    East Tennessee

ADMIN

My post office just asked the typical - liquid, perishable, or fragile
    Again, I will state you don't have to tell the USPS the box contains a firearm.
    I use PAYPAL for my USPS shipping.
    I can do everything on their and it saves me some money.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think you even need to have a copy of the FFL, it just has to be shipped to a licensee. The common way it's done is that they'll send you a signed copy, but I'm not even sure that's required, just common practice.

I have mailed rifles and shotguns many times, to gunsmiths to be repaired, for warranty service, and to sell them. It's not a big deal at all.

Handguns are a pain in the butt and I wish they'd fix that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    There are some changes in each state but here is a couple pointers.

USPS
    - can ship long guns only unless your a FFL holder
    - FFL holders can ship pistols FFL to FFL using USPS - and it can be priority mail not overnight.
    - can ship individual to FFL holder
    This is from what the Postmaster printed off and handed to me yesterday, indicating that I can ship long guns from private person to FFl...

Attachment 281401

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Again, I will state you don't have to tell the USPS the box contains a firearm.
    Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm.
    https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-...Shipping-Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast