Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merit Optical suction cup

Boolit Bub
    Mackay Queensland, Australia on the East Coast with the Great Barrier Reef offshore
    The mate and I got a bit done on the project yesterday but I forgot my phone,so no "on the spot pics"
    No worries I will take some pics and post them.

The ended up using a 2.5mm diameter screw because that is what we could find and have the matching tap for same.

The screw was around the same diameter as the original merit screw but metric instead of imperial.

We drilled the connecting arm and found it was made from copper, believe it or not.

There's just the silver solder job to do on the 4mm spigot step joint to the flat sheet that fits between the spectacle parallel bars and
    then epoxy the flat into them and Bobs your uncle.

All is good ,then. More pics soon as soon as I complete a few "Honey do" jobs.

Whitesmoke

Boolit Bub
    Mackay Queensland, Australia on the East Coast with the Great Barrier Reef offshore
    Hi Fellas,
    It's all completed bar the epoxy gluing in of the brass sheet to the spectacle frame.
    You will see by the pic that the sheet is currently held in by some blue tac.

I will not expoxy it in place until I take it to the range and test it.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.

Whitesmoke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merit Diopter mount modification.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	281647
    Last edited by Whitesmoke; 04-21-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Boolit Master

That looks good. I need to make something similar. Thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I bought a Merit a few years ago. Nicely made piece. But last year the suction cup stopped holding it to the lens. I think the rubber dries out pretty fast.
    I have two , one I bought recently off ebay and one my pap gave me 50 years ago or more . Both still work with no issue with the cup . You can find them on ebay fairly often and mine only cost me $14.00 or so and shipping . If the cups dry out quickly it is news to me , mine is stored in temps that range from the 20's to slightly over 100F . Might try soaking your cup in ArmorAll vinyl conditioner, good for rubber and vinyl both.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I have two , one I bought recently off ebay and one my pap gave me 50 years ago or more . Both still work with no issue with the cup . You can find them on ebay fairly often and mine only cost me $14.00 or so and shipping . If the cups dry out quickly it is news to me , mine is stored in temps that range from the 20's to slightly over 100F . Might try soaking your cup in ArmorAll vinyl conditioner, good for rubber and vinyl both.
    Hi Eddie,
    I have owned my Merit diopter from new - probably around 25 years.
    Can't speak for anyone but me but the rubber is dried and hard. However its the same with a fellow shooter who also has one. I will try the Armorall.

The unit has always been stored in its square plastic box which was kept in my shooting box. Put it down to climate perhaps.

For those who don't have the suitable spectacle frame a possible alternative is to use a letter clip which can clamp over the spectacle lens. I have attached a picture in case you blokes call the thing by another name. the on I have found had a magnet attached.Down here they are the sort of thing that hangs on the fridge and you can hang stuff in the clip.

It is simplicity itself to drill out the magnet and drill a mount hole in the clip. For scale the length of the clip is 1" but could be shortened.

The clip is fitted with some sponge rubber cut to suit to avoid damage to the lense.

I hope this helps somebody.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1102.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	281871

Whitesmoke
    Last edited by Whitesmoke; 04-25-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitesmoke View Post
    I have a Merit Optical suction cup mounted diopter which I use on my specs for range muzzleloading shooting.

The rubber suction cup has gone hard in the twenty plus years I have used it. The mechanical bit still works well.
    I am trying to keep the suction cup supple by using a small amount of automotive rubber grease with limited sucess.

It won't last forever.

I have emailed the Merit corporation twice in 2 weeks but received no answer on any possible replacement space.

Are these blokes still in business or are they into ignoring overseas inquiries?

Has anyone had to repair /replace their suction cup. I am open to suggestions.

A complete replacement down here in Australia will set me back Au$250 including shipping, so I am unwilling to travel down that road.

If no suction rubber is available I might consider unscrewing the diopter mechanism from the rubber and make a bracket to clip to my specs.

Any ideas on solving this problem, fellas?

Thanks

Grahame
    E. Arthur Brown Co or EABCO has NEW Merit products in stock
    so it appears that Merit is back in business . I just ordered 2 new #4 Discs . The new suction cups are clear and look like they might be larger as pictured on their web site . If you contact them they might be able to supply spare suction cups of a better material than the originals had . The discs were under $60 each and the attachment style is $84 .

https://www.eabco.com/merit_apertures.html
    https://www.eabco.net/Merit-Peep-Sig...s_p_13475.html
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12