Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Good Quality Vacuum Sealer

Boolit Grand Master

Good Quality Vacuum Sealer

I had decent success with a Foodsaver I got about 15 years ago at Costco until it died two years ago. Then bought a cheap unit at Wallyworld as I had to have something immediately to pack some venison. It has died as well so now I am looking for a good quality unit.

Any recommendations are appreciated. Would like to stay in the $200-300 range if possible.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    For a $100 more you can get a Weston 2300.

We are on our second Nesco in some 15 years. A bit more expensive than the food saver and cheap ones. But less expensive than the expensive ones. Our current one has been going strong for 7 almost 8 years.

We had a food saver that died after 2.5 years, the next one lasted 6 months so we went looking for a little better.

I suspect at least somewhat you get what you pay for. You also need to be careful not to get fluids like blood into the pump. As they will dry and gum it up.

The other consideration is rolls for bags. Some of the expensive ones are expensive on rolls also.
    The Nesco is middle of the road.

It does have the option to attach a hose for sucking containers and jars. Which is good in theory but in my experience tends to lose vacuum 3 out of 4 times over a period of a few months.

We have been buying our bags in bulk from Amazon and have been very happy with the quality.

So check the cost of bags and rolls before you buy. You'll be glad you did.

One trick I did learn was to save scraps and short pieces of bags. Cut the textured side into 1x3" strips. Now you have the ability to load a gallon zip lock bag, seal it, cut a corner a couple of inches in. Slip a strip into the cut and suck it. The texture on the bag lets the air out. And will melt into the seal.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

A bit out of your budget range but if you're a serious Hunter/Fisherman, the VacMaster 215 is built to last a lifetime of use. The bag material when purchased in bulk is also much less expensive than the Foodsaver bag material.

https://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-VP2.../dp/B005ETDKEA

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m about ready for a new one too. The one I spent over a hundred for twenty years ago, has been letting me down. Air leaks after a time in the freezer. Consequently, I haven’t been using it as much as before. Time for a new one. I will be following along here for advice.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a food saver that I am waiting for to die. After about 6 months it got loud, but it still works. There was a thread on them not long ago. I remember it because Mary has some super duper one that is outside your price range (I think) but was pretty cool.

Boolit Master

I'd get a Weston if at all possible. Parts availability alone will mean the little extra you spend will be saved when you replace a $11 gasket over another $250 machine that is obsolete. I have an older Cabela's pro series that is actually a rebranded Weston Pro-1100. Got it used off ebay years ago and it is amazing. I've sealed 1000's of pounds of food with it and other than going so fast that I start melting the sealed strip as the element isn't cooling down, I've never had a problem. Several deer every season, coolers of prawns my buddy drove back from the Gulf coast, garden harvests every year, etc.

I also have an upright V3840 model. It's nice to have handy in the kitchen but I don't really like the automatic triggering mechanism, nor would I trust it to get through the amount of food I've put through the Weston.

Boolit Master

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...-vacuum-sealer

My wife and I have this one. We buy all our meat in bulk. It's served us well for many years. I know when we bought it they were $149.99 so it was a bit ago. We had it before we moved so I'd guess it's be 10-12 years.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Weston. Food Savers are junk and they make a small seal as well as using to much bag material. Bought a Weston 2300 10 years ago and love it. The seal is about 1/4 inch wide and it will suck like no ones business.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Weston sealers look nice, but at $400 I’ll have to do a lot of thinking about it. I was hoping to only pay half that. I figured the prices would have come down as with other technologies. Guess not.

Boolit Master

I will have to look, but I think I saw saw a YT video where a guy made his own thermal sealer and used a vacuum pump (think refrigerator servicing) to make a bullet proof 'seal a meal.' Vacuum pumps aren't rocket surgery, thermal sealers are certainly not new. It comes down to food safe storage conditions.

I have in the past, used freezer grade bags, vacuum sealed, and then sealed again in heavier plastic bags (think MRE pouches) which add a second, much stronger packaging. Personally, I prefer canning in tin cans over glass jars, can sealer is reasonable, large pressure cookers more than paid for themselves for all the Tuna I used to catch and can. A buddy used to hunt Elk and can in camp, all around good deal.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Weston sealers look nice, but at $400 I’ll have to do a lot of thinking about it. I was hoping to only pay half that. I figured the prices would have come down as with other technologies. Guess not.
    I've had 3 or 4 Foodsavers and other brands before I bought the Weston 2300 it would have been a lot cheaper to have bought the Weston first.

Boolit Master

I have a $79 Food saver that I have used long and hard for years.
    Sometimes you just get lucky.

Boolit Bub
    I bought on of the Weston that were made for Gander MT when they had them on clearance several years before they went out. Like all have said they are much better than the cheaper ones

Vendor Sponsor

I have a big Weston and a smaller Weston both are great, both came with other items I bought off craigslist I think I have $40 in the big one and it had 2-3 rolls of bags with it and I have nothing in the smaller one. Shop craigslist and see what you find.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I freeze a LOT of garden produce in summer/fall, plus buy bulk meats and package them down into meal size portions. Plus sealing leftovers... I destroyed 4 food savers in the last 3 years, pumps failed in all of them. Decided it was time for something semi commercial grade so went with the Avid Armor UVS32 chamber sealer. Huge advantage to them is sealing liquids! Now when I make bulk spaghetti sauce or soup I can vac bag it and flat stack in the freezer, something you CAN'T do with the Foodsaver type sealers. Chamber seals also remove a lot more air, FoodSaver type sealera are 15 inches of vacuum max, chamber sealer is 29 inches! Less air = longer storage life.

Not cheap, they do make a smaller one for $399, mine was $599 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Buddy

I am still liking the Nesco VS-12. The bag feed and cut system would be a hang up for a real big job though.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Grand Master

A step down in price but wife and I have been using a Cabela's HD for several months and it works fine. Good enough that I ordered one to be sent to my buddy that looks after my camp for me. Cost's $100. We buy meat when it is on sale and have a freezer full of half price steak.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum