Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match Loads

Boolit Master
    The paragraph above with the equation, it needs to be re though out and re stated.
    I tried to follow it with my cartridge and bullet dimensions it just doesn’t make any sense as it written now

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    The paragraph above with the equation, it needs to be re though out and re stated.
    I tried to follow it with my cartridge and bullet dimensions it just doesn’t make any sense as it written now
    Perhaps an illustration will work better for you. This is for my particular bullet and load, but it works with any combination. The case mouth to wad measurement will be done with the depth mic on your calipers. It's simple, insert the wad, and use your compression die to compress the charge until the desired depth is achieved, so you can seat your bullets without air gap between the wad and bullet. If one desires, you can also measure your compression by pressing the wad down on top of the charge with a dowel rod without compressing the charge itself, and measuring the difference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4827.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	283147

Boolit Master
    Thank You Tmanbuckhunter your further text explanation and photo of the math makes the concept perfectly clear to me now.

It turns out that I have been doing powder compression to approximately equal my bullet base to crimp point measurement. My case lengths 45 Colt vary ~7 thou I’ll trim soon after a couple more firings just to see if they‘ll stretch a bit, starting to believe they won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    Thank You Tmanbuckhunter your further text explanation and photo of the math makes the concept perfectly clear to me now.

It turns out that I have been doing powder compression to approximately equal my bullet base to crimp point measurement. My case lengths 45 Colt vary ~7 thou I’ll trim soon after a couple more firings just to see if they‘ll stretch a bit, starting to believe they won’t.
    No problem, glad I could help; definitely more than one way to skin a cat. My bet is your 45 colt cases will shrink rather than stretch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter View Post
    My bet is your 45 colt cases will shrink rather than stretch.
    I'd be interested if you care to expand on this.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I'd be interested if you care to expand on this.

Dave
    Not enough pressure to push the case head back up against a bolt face, or frame and cause the brass to stretch. The brass flows somewhere on a low pressure straight wall case upon firing and it's usually backwards. Sizing increases the issue. Even bottle neck cases will shrink rather than stretch if pressures are low enough.

Boolit Buddy
    I've never tried light or low pressure black powder loads, rather I fill the case to the point of compression. (smile)

Thanks for the explanation,
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12