Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: .322 to .308 jacketed

Boolit Master

.322 to .308 jacketed

I apologize in advance because I'm not really a swager, but I do have a swaging question. It might make some people cringe, but it is what it is:

A good friend is desperate for .30-30 hunting ammo. He strongly prefers 170gr bullets and uses a fair amount. He's been a good friend for the better part of a half century, and I've been helping him with ammo off and on for more than half that time. He buys components and has occasionally helped load some, but that part of it really doesn't interest him. There are very few people that I will share my reloads with, and he's one of them.

That said, he can't find 30-30 170gr ammo anywhere, and I can't even find the bullets at anywhere near any kind of reasonable price. I have cases, primers, and powder, but no bullets. I've developed a load in my rifle, with 170gr cast bullets, but he's leery of cast for shooting bears, which he does. So, what I do have, is a lonely box of Winchester 170gr .322" bullets for the .32 Special. I don't even own a .32 Special. I do have a Lee .308 push-through bullet sizing die.

Will these still be good hunting bullets if I squeeze them down 14 thousandths?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured if I was going to take the time to ask about it, I might as well give it a try. I keep a box of random pulled bullet (don't we all?) and dug through to find a similar JSP 8mm bullet. No way was that going through the .308 sizer, so I pushed it through a .314 sizer first, then the .308 sizer. With springback, it measured .311".

Yeah, too much trouble to end up with an inferior hunting bullet. I'm still interested in thoughts on the subject. Thank you!
    Last edited by fatelk; 04-16-2021 at 02:09 AM.

Banned

well like you said your going to end up with an inferior hunting bullet. The 3030 is a rare bird. Its one of the only rounds thats bullets are designed specifically for it. They are thin jacket for 3030 velocitys. My guess is any bullet designed for a bolt gun isnt going to expand. Now the 32 special bullet might work just fine. part of the reason you got the spring back is the thickness of the jackets on that 8mm bullet. Id be the 32 special bullets dont spring back near as much if any. Even at 309 or 310 if they chamber in your gun they will be fine. Im not a real big fan of big game hunting with cast bullets smaller then 35 caliber but in these trying times id maybe start playing with cast 308s. Maybe try casting some two part soft nosed bullets. I played with that years ago and got some good results.

Boolit Bub
    I wouldn't do it I recommend he puts a wanted add in as many for sale forms as he can think of and just see what comes up a wanted add on here would be a good start many good people on here and someone may very well be able to help you out best of luck to you if I see any come up I will pm you asap
    Ron

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A308-20R.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	281400

Such?
    Viam supervadet vadens.