Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Lyman 311316 in a 307 Winchester

Boolit Man

Lyman 311316 in a 307 Winchester

I have a Lyman 311316 mold a .311 sizer die and a #8 top punch. I have never loaded boolits for a levergun before. I cannot hunt with this boolit in California so it will be just for plinking. I can gas check or go naked and powder coat. I am looking for a place to start. I cannot find published data for this mold in 308 Winchester in my Lyman cast bullet handbook (1973). I would appreaciate any input from more experinced members.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wait, is powder coating while naked a thing now?

Looking at my copy of the 3rd ed. (1980) of that Lyman manual. Shows date for a #311576 boolit, 120 grains, vs. the 311316's 112 grains.

Same data should be perfectly safe due to the boolit you have being lighter, though if you use the hotter loads you might get some leading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tN9ZwKS.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	281392

Boolit Grand Master
    I loaded and shot hundreds of those through a 30-30 over 8 grains of Unique or 17.5 grains of 2400. I gave up on shooting them without gas checks, though. Groups were always half again larger when plain based versus gas checked.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Man
    Thank you for your imput. Powder coating while naked is considered risky busniess around here. I am no longer shooting trap and have plenty of 700x and Green Dot. I saw that load data for the 311576 and figured I have all the components I may as well get casting, sizing, lubing,loading and shooting. It is strating to feel like spring here.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been to Quincy several times while my brother lived there. It is beautiful country.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Big Dipper

The 311316 is a favorite of mine in most of my 30 cal rifles from 30 Carbine up through 30-06. Unfortunately not the 307 Winchester though. I did try them non GC'd and found best accuracy w/o a GC is going to be sub sonic. I always GC them though as accuracy is always better, usually much better. I suggest you use some of my 30-30 loads as a "start". For just sub sonic loads try 4 gr of Bullseye which are great for plinking and small game, especially edible small game. You can work up to 7 gr Bullseye which will puts the 30-30 loads at 1400 fps +/- out of a 20" barrel. Using 7.5 gr in the 307 should be the same. My most used vermin load is 8 gr Unique (no filler or wad) which also runs 1400 fps out of the 30-30. Start there and work up to 9 gr in the 307.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    8)

311316 Gas check bullet for high velocity in .32-20 rifles. Gives much higher velocity in such rifles than can be obtained with plain base bullets. Can be seated with same tools as 3118. Also good for light plinking loads in 30 calibers. With .32-20 rifle suggest 5.5 grains Unique. (GC, FN, 112 - TP is 80)
    Regards
    John