RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Now I Remember Why (A 310 Thread)

Boolit Grand Master

Now I Remember Why (A 310 Thread)

I had a tray of 50 sized and primed 9mm cases that have been sitting around for a while. I had the opportunity to go out and shoot this afternoon, so this morning I got out my 310 dies and steel handle for 9mm, my Pacific Powder Measure with the appropriate rotor, and an hour later I was ready to go shoot. I have the RCBS Jr 2 on the bench and even decided I would run the finished rounds through the taper crimp die on it, but I'm not sure that was really necessary. All the real work was done with the 310 tooling while sitting in my easy chair or at the kitchen table. The 310 effect at work!

The proof of the pudding is how well they shot. I'm still dialing in my S&W Model 639 project and this ammo took me to the next level.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Sounds like "Reloading Therapy" . It's the best there is.

Boolit Grand Master
    Second best. The best therapy there is would be unloading them down range at my local gun club or indoor range. What sort of amazed me was how quickly I was able to get 50 rounds completed after I had 50 pieces of primed brass to start with. Having them all clean and processed (sizing and decapping done) was really what made the difference. Priming with my first generation Lee priming tool is definitely a restful pastime too.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m beginning to rethink my 310 tool priorities. Originally I had thought in terms of running 25-50 rounds through the whole reloading process while at a hunting lodge or a bench at the range. I have even loaded during a match a time or two and once in a motel room when I was writing a review for a 38-55 and needed something to shoot out of it. That said, in my current retired status, I have some random experiences still (like Thursday’s trip to the range) but can otherwise plan ahead enough to keep up my supply of reloads as it should be. Although the 310 does an adequate job of depriming and neck sizing my cases, it generally makes more sense in my current status to batch process a bunch of cases on the bench press, decapping and FL sizing and even using carbide dies for the pistol cases.

So, where do the 310 tools fit in? I still enjoy the restful pastime of performing one specific step in the reloading process on a batch of cases while sitting comfortably in my easy chair. The Lee 1st Gen priming tool seems best for the first such step, although the 310 PC certainly works fine as well. Expanding case mouths is certainly a step I like to do in comfort, and the 310 Tool excels at this. Although I haven’t really devised a good, efficient way to add powder away from the bench, I do get very nice results seating bullets and crimping cases while “at my ease.” Note that I am quite diligent about checking the tray of charged cases to ensure all is well before I move on to the next step!

I guess I’m really stretching to give myself an excuse to keep my 310 tools and keep using them under my current conditions, but I enjoy using them and I’m getting good ammo this way, so how much more of an excuse do I need?

Froggie

I have loaded 44Mag ammo on bench tools and with the 310 tools. I think the310 tools had a slight egde in accuracy.
    Neck sizing on bottle neck cases has been a long time accuracy edge in rifles.
    The way the 310 tools neck size straight walled pistol cases for a revolver seems to have the same effect. The body f the cases fit snuggly in the chambers to help center the booolits to the bore in the same way as in a rifle.
    Is this edge worth the extra time and effort vs becnh tools, maybe. For most handgun uses probably not. Most uses don't require this txra edge.
    Leo

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    It's always been a toss up for me.............either my 310 or a Lee hand press, reloading in the field while sitting around the campfire in the evening. The Lee has the advantage of accepting any 7/8 dies, etc. but the little 310 is SO compact and easy to use. More than once I've had the jealous eyes of my companions watching me reload, after they've fired off most of their ammo during the day.......

It's relaxing, and profitable from a recreation standpoint.

Boolit Grand Master
    3006guns, you’re singing my song. The only difference is that I sold my Lee Hand Press and now have an old HDS Compac Press (pretty much like the one Randy B makes now.) If I were loading for my Garand and away from the bench, I think I’d reach for my Compac so I could full length size, but the neck sizing die in my 310 tool should be fine for my 1917 Enfield.

I strongly agree that the 310 is a lot more “compact” than the Compac, thus easier to pack and for me at least, handier to use. For pistol class rounds, there’s no comparison. Of course, in my original post, I only hinted at the fact that I generally batch process my brass... I decapped and FL sized them on a bench press with a carbide die, so for all intents and purposes, I was starting out ahead of the game with prepped brass. Just as a FYI, I’ve mentioned here often that I like to use an old Lee priming tool (screw in shell holders) for most priming duties.

I still maintain that an easy chair, TV, and reloading can and do add up to a relaxing evening at home.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    I believe with the 310's you "feel" the round being made instead of just a bench press with leverage. It is therapeutic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Sounds like "Reloading Therapy" . It's the best there is.
    The early lime green RCBS die boxes, had written on the ends "Reloading Is Fun". I bought that and still do. So many today see it as just a chore.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.