Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 41 mag NM Blackhawk

Boolit Master

That's great news i sent them a SBH that had the front sight put on wrong they put a new barrel on it and rebulued it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    My Ruger BH Bisley 41 magnum which is really my favorite hunting handgun for Deer/pig hunting. Mine uses a thin flat Weaver base with the Ruger D&T'd for it. The Burris Fast Fire can easily be removed if there is a problem with the FF and the iron sights are there still zeroed for instant use.
    My 4-5/8" Ruger BH 41 Magnum is my favorite single action revolver, and is also the most accurate single action revolver I've ever shot. To say I like it would be an understatement. Upon seeing Larry's post I promptly acquired a Weaver #46 base and milled the bottom flat. Alas, I discovered that the top strap of my Ruger is not flat. It is significantly concave up. When I discovered this I cancelled my plan to D&T the Ruger. Too bad, as I would have enjoyed the dot sight.

Boolit Grand Master

The top strap isn't flat in front of the rear sight hump?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The top strap isn't flat in front of the rear sight hump?
    No. It looks flat, but as soon as it is compared to a true flat the curvature becomes obvious. It is "dished out," possibly when the frame casting was being prepared for polishing.

Boolit Grand Master

You could still D&T it then put some release agent on the top strap. A dab of Steel Bed on the bottom of the base and screw it in place. When the Steel Bed "sets" remove and trim up. The base will be a perfect fit to the top strap that way.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Yes, I'm considering that approach. My plan was to use Marine Tex, if I decide to go that route. Thanks for your help.

Boolit Buddy
    You fellas cost me money, got a ruger Blackhawk coming thanks to Luckydawg, brass coming from Grafs. Now i need to find a mold and dies, here we go again!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    You fellas cost me money, got a ruger Blackhawk coming thanks to Luckydawg, brass coming from Grafs. Now i need to find a mold and dies, here we go again!
    Yep. I probably would’ve never even heard of a 41 mag had it not been for this site. And then I go researching and reading everything about them and realize I “needed” one.

Did you get the one from Cabelas?

Today I was looking at this again, and noticed for the first time that one of the screw holes falls above the barrel threads. This will require a blind hole and a bottom tap. However, I don't like weakening this critical area, and I'm considering relocating the hole closer to the other hole so as to drill through the top strap for both screws. That will put the two holes very close to each other. It will probably be fine, but I'm going to think about it some more (as in "measure twice, cut once").
    Last edited by Tatume; 05-03-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes cabelas

Boolit Master
    If you don't want to D&T, I have been using this one for years on a 6.5" .41 BH and it has never moved...

https://www.ebay.com/p/2254394634?iid=253832337087

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    If you don't want to D&T, I have been using this one for years on a 6.5" .41 BH and it has never moved...

https://www.ebay.com/p/2254394634?iid=253832337087
    The Weaver and Weigand bases require removal of the rear sight. The objective here is to be able to use the rear sight or red dot, as desired and without re-sighting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210505_051839.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	282454

Picture of a 100 yard group shot yesterday with my .41 magnum black hawk.
    7.8 grains of power pistol with the arsenal mold 220 Keith style bullet.
    One click down brought the poi into the black. Sorry for the poor picture quality, took off my phone with my Kindle fire.
    I had the cylinder holes bored to .412 by a gent on here, does great work but can't remember his name. Very accurate revolver and cartridge.
    Last edited by iron brigade; 05-05-2021 at 06:27 AM.

Name:	IMG_20210505_072522.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	282456
    Picture of my .41 magnum
    I remembered that Doug guy did the cylinder work. Highly recommend him.
    Oh yes, forgot to mention... Grips by altmont. They are excellent and fairly priced

Boolit Buddy
    Nice! I received an email with tracking # this morning. Should have it back Friday and then it’s time to get to work. Those grips look good. Looking around I think I like the lighter toned grips on the blued gun. Like the Birdseye maple grips they put on the special edition 357 mag. Too bad ruger doesn’t sell them on their site.

Did you get it back yet?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    Did you get it back yet?
    Tracking says it should be here tomorrow.

Boolit Buddy
    Well it came in this afternoon. When I opened the box I could hardly believe my eyes! If I didn't know better I'd a thought they sent me a brand new blackhawk. The note said the front sight had been repaired and the pawl and cylinder latch had been replaced. Well the repairing of the front sight was putting a new one on and call me crazy but the barrel looks new as well. The pawl and cylinder latch was probably because somebody messed with the old ones with a file or something and I mentioned on the note I sent with it that I was concerned about the timing because one of the cylinder notches looked to be peened and had a little burr from it. They cleaned it up and reblued the cylinder as well but the factory note didn't mention anything about it but it looked good as new like it had never been fired with no turn line at all. They also polished the flats on the side of the hammer and re-finished the ejector housing. I hope to slug the bore and check cylinder throats tomorrow but so far Ruger has gone above and beyond on this one.

Hey that's great news and excellent service from Ruger!
    I just put a one ragged hole peep sight on my 41. Going to see how it does.

Name:	IMG_20210508_064339.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	282634

Boolit Master

When I sent mine back to Ruger to fix the front sight they did replace the barrel and yes rebulued it and looked better than it did when it was new
    Congratulations ��
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast