RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 41 mag NM Blackhawk

Sorry for the upside down pics- I need more coffee.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Sorry for the upside down pics- I need more coffee.

What mount do you have your sight on?
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Lefty it is a #61 Weaver base. (For flat surface) I drilled and tapped my frame and loctited it as well. The FastFire3 hasn't moved even with my seldom used 210gr/1400 fps loads.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

TX by God

Thank you sir! Will have to try that when I get a longer barrel one.

Lefty

Boolit Master
    Been a fan of and shooter of the 41 since '75. Love the cartridge! Use it on sod poodles through boar. Casting has allowed a full range of hunting.

https://youtu.be/piROUTy0Qsk

Boolit Master
    I bought mine in 1984 as I have always liked the less common rounds. I have two molds, the Lee 195 which I don't care for and the Lyman 410610 220 gr. A few years back a fellow showed me how to make a 270 gr jacketed bullet from 40 S&W cases using some common dies and a couple of lathe turned punches. I have always used 16 grs of blue dot with the lyman boolit for 1480 fps even though blue dot is now not recommended for the 41. A caseful of H116 works well with the 270gr. Please don't use either of these loads unless you are willing and able to safely work uploads. They are both at the top end.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have always used 16 grs of blue dot with the lyman boolit for 1480 fps even though blue dot is now not recommended for the 41. A caseful of H116 works well with the 270gr. Please don't use either of these loads unless you are willing and able to safely work uploads. They are both at the top end.
    Blue Dot will give "pressure excursions" in the 41. That's an industry way of saying don't use it. It is no longer recommended because time has shown how "techy" Blue Dot is in the 41. I am one of the shooters who has seen a pressure excursion with Blue Dot and the 41. In fact, I don't use Blue Dot at all anymore in ANY cartridge cases. I do use it in shotgun shells where it works just fine - as advertised.

Boolit Grand Master

My Ruger BH Bisley 41 magnum which is really my favorite hunting handgun for Deer/pig hunting. Mine uses a thin flat Weaver base with the Ruger D&T'd for it. The Burris Fast Fire can easily be removed if there is a problem with the FF and the iron sights are there still zeroed for instant use.

Attachment 281526

Attachment 281527

Attachment 281528
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Larry Gibson, does that Weaver base have a number on it? My #61 flat base blocks the use of the iron sights- I like yours better.

Boolit Master
    Larry...that is a GREAT looking way of mounting a dot sight...

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson, does that Weaver base have a number on it? My #61 flat base blocks the use of the iron sights- I like yours better.

It's a #46. I filed the bottom flat which gives about the lowest base possible.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I like my Raptor mount, but Larry's set up is a real good idea in the event of low battery or any other misadventure with the red dot sight.

Boolit Master

As much as I love my stainless flattop 44 Special, it doesn’t hold a candle to my BH 41 6.5”. Doug honed the cylinders and now is shots very consistent size groups... if I do my part! I started of with a S&W 57 in 8 3/8” back in the early 70’s. It was a very nice revolver, but once I got my hands on a BH I was won over. Have a Marlin 1894 that was rebarreled to 41 Mag and its sweet too. Been looking for a Charter Pug 41 to complete my collection.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    It's a #46. I filed the bottom flat which gives about the lowest base possible.
    Thanks! I probably have one of those Mauser 98 bases. Copy Cat mode engaged.....

Boolit Master

Thanks! I probably have one of those Mauser 98 bases. Copy Cat mode engaged.....

Please post pictures and techniques involved! Got to do this for my 357/9mm Convertible!
    Lefty

Boolit Grand Master

A vertical mill would be the best and easiest way to flatten the bottom of the #46 base. But if you've a vise and a good mill bastard file, a little skill with it and patience filing it flat isn't all that difficult either.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

I have a little skill. Very little... Seriously, I would need to send the job out to a gunsmith or machinist.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, Picked it up today! I quickly decided that I didn't like the hogue monogrip as it just didn't feel comfortable. first the grip just felt too big in my hand, and I wear an XL glove so its not like I have small hands. The other thing is that the palm swell just sat in an uncomfortable location on my hand. So for the time being its borrowing some grips.

The gun is in pretty good shape except for two things. The first is a disappointment in that the front sight has a pretty good ding that happened sometime between buying it and receiving it. I drew a red arrow to it in the pics below. Its mushroomed out pretty good on the side and kinda messes up the sight picture.

The other issue is that it appears that someone tried to modify the pawl as the edge of the top tooth has some metal removed on the corner similar to the free spin pawl mod. Except it doesn't free spin. I'm not sure how big of an issue this is as everything seems to function as it should. In fact it cocks very smoothly and has a light crisp trigger pull so... Not really sure if this is something or nothing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	281644

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	281645

Name:	IMG_1307.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	281646

Boolit Master

Sounds like everything is either repairable, or replaceable. You could call Ruger, and ask if they can do something with the front sight. If not, find someone who is very proficient with tig welding. The material can be replaced then filed to it's original shape and cold blued. Can't really make out the damage very well, but it can be repaired. The front sight blade can be milled off, and a groove machined in the base for a replacement blade and a couple set screws from the side. The pawl can be replaced. But, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. Enjoy your new toy.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    41s are really nice as long as you're a reloader and bullet caster. I did manage to get a number of boxes of jacket .41 bullets at a local sporting goods store during the ammo crisis. I guess they are so unpopular that the only bullets on the shelfs were .41 and they were clearance priced.. I've had several
    .41s over the years. Most have come and gone. A 4 5/8 NM Blackhawk and a S&W 58 are the only ones I still have. Few I wish I'd kept but these will do for the time being. Good luck with lead and the Blackhawk.
    Last edited by arlon; 04-21-2021 at 02:31 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast