MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 41 mag NM Blackhawk

Boolit Buddy

41 mag NM Blackhawk

I know now isn't the time to get into a new caliber but I've been wanting a 41 mag for some time now. So much so that I bought reloading dies a while back for a good price in anticipation of one day owning one. I'm pretty sure its normal to buy reloading dies for guns you don't own so that you'll have an excuse for buying the gun later on. Anyway I found a NM Blackhawk the other day at a pre-panic price and figured now was the time to pull the trigger. Only down side is trying to find brass/bullets/and/or a mold.

I'm patiently awaiting its arrival at the FFL but thought I'd get some advice on what mould or boolits to be looking for. It also has a hogue monogrip so I'll be looking to replace that when it comes in as well.

I'll update with pics when it gets in but until then just close your eyes and imagine what a 6.5" Blackhawk looks like and that's what this one looks like.

Boolit Master

Bravo, and congratulations. I've been shootin the .41 for 52 years. Great cartridge. Started with the Ruger BH w/4 5/8 barrel. Then about 1972, bought a S&W 57/6". Early last year, I bought a Ruger SBH Hunter w/ 7.5". Took a couple deer in the mid 70's with the 57. At that time, my load back then was 8 grains of Unique under the 410459 swc. Running about 1000 fps. 50 yards, shot through and through the doe just behind the front leg. She walked a few steps and fell over.
    The Lyman 410459 swc is a very fine design. They've gone plum out of sight on flea-bay. I saw one there last week for 165.00. Normally you can pick one up for around 50.00. I also use the Ranch Dog 265 grain. Those are very hard to come by. Not being manufactured anymore. There are also some very good designs from vendors here on Castboolits. Componants are around, just hang in there, be patient and keep looking around.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I shoot 2 different bullets in my blackhawk. The first is an mp-411 hammer. The large hp comes in at 215 grains, and it has a large meplat. The other comes from a NOE mold 411-237 WFN. This bullet is more like a LFN to me. When loaded in the crimp groove the c.o.l. is 1.695”, so it is long. I use the NOE bullet for hunting as it seems to have better long range accuracy for me. An interesting thing with my blackhawk, when I first got it, I thought that I may have had a bad chamber. When loaded with slower unique loads, it seemed to always throw one a little off the group. When I went to faster 2400 loads, everything tightened right up.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Check with SNS for bullets. I just picked up a thousand Hitech coated not too long ago. Given current prices they were very reasonable.

My 4-5/8" 41 Magnum Ruger NM Blackhawk is the most accurate single action revolver I've ever owned, and I've owned two Freedom Arms revolvers.

I have been shooting the same Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum since 1968. The only repair/updates have been Pachmeyer grips and a Beltmountain base pin. Love that super accurate old model. Glad I never sent it back to Ruger for the transfer bar upgrade. It's favorite load is Lyman 41032 210 grain with 8-10 grains of Unique. It will shoot through a large whitetail deer at 125+ yards (broadside) with wheel weight alloy. I have not found a load that this gun will not shoot with some degree of accuracy. Some loads are good, some are fantastic. Hope you have fun with your new .41.

Boolit Master

No secret I think the 41 BH is the best thing since sliced bread!
    Congratulations on your snag.

I have a couple sets of dies and stashing away some brass until I get another one.

The three I had, all shot the Lee 210gr boolit accurate. In the TL and lube groove design. Did mess around with some very heavy for caliber bullets (265gr) and Paco Kelly amounts of Blue Dot, and glad I still have a hand. Would have to recover my base pin a couple of times trying to get through a cylinder of that stuff!

Great pistol, great caliber. I will never let another slip by me. If this last run/shortage has taught me is that common calibers don’t mean poo and just stock up and keep the odd ball stuff.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

The .41 Remington Magnum is my favorite powerful revolver round and the Blackhawk is a good home for it. My brothers and friends went nuts over the .44 Remington Magnum ( and I’ve had several) but I’ve always returned to the .41- love it. Every .41 user should have a Lee 410 TLSWC 210 mould to supplement the upper crust moulds- because they shoot great in every .41 that I’ve had. If the rain( thank God for it) lets up, I’ll shoot my 6.5” .41 Blackhawk TODAY.

Moderator Emeritus

Try it with the grip before you decide to replace it. I went with a Hogue grip due to nerve damage in my right hand. I couldn't really shoot her until I replaced the grip. Now I love it. Deadly accurate and a joy to shoot. I don't cast for her yet.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    I know now isn't the time to get into a new caliber but I've been wanting a 41 mag for some time now. So much so that I bought reloading dies a while back for a good price in anticipation of one day owning one. I'm pretty sure its normal to buy reloading dies for guns you don't own so that you'll have an excuse for buying the gun later on. Anyway I found a NM Blackhawk the other day at a pre-panic price and figured now was the time to pull the trigger. Only down side is trying to find brass/bullets/and/or a mold.

I'm patiently awaiting its arrival at the FFL but thought I'd get some advice on what mould or boolits to be looking for. It also has a hogue monogrip so I'll be looking to replace that when it comes in as well.

I'll update with pics when it gets in but until then just close your eyes and imagine what a 6.5" Blackhawk looks like and that's what this one looks like.
    Ellis, I sent you a PM about brass.

I have some of wheelguns' bullets. They look great, and i need to load some up and get out to shoot 'em!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm really excited about getting this one.

Doug, PM replied to. Thanks a ton! That is one of the reasons I love this site! Such great people here ready to help and share knowledge and experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Try it with the grip before you decide to replace it. I went with a Hogue grip due to nerve damage in my right hand. I couldn't really shoot her until I replaced the grip. Now I love it. Deadly accurate and a joy to shoot. I don't cast for her yet.
    Ron
    I believe I'll heed your advice and try it out before swapping it. You never know, I may like it.

Boolit Buddy
    If I can find a 210 lee mold I imagine that's what I'll start with but I've read a bit about the MP hammer and that sounds like a fun one but the other day they were showing out of stock on their molds.

I had been watching that 410459 on eBay for a while but the price was way out their for me. Not much else showing available anywhere else.

I got some 2400, 296, and 231 so I'll have to play around to see what it likes once I have the rest of the components gathered up.

Not a cast bullet, but a https://shop.hodgdon.com/reloading-data-center maximum charge of H110 or W296 and the Sierra 170 gr HP is very accurate, and kills like lightning. It is also very, very fun to use on water bottles!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If the rain( thank God for it) lets up, I’ll shoot my 6.5” .41 Blackhawk TODAY.
    Hopefully the rain held off long enough for you to exercise the .41 today.

I've loaded with 231, Blue Dot, 2400 and H110/W296. I have yet to open my 8# keg of AA9.

Blue Dot used to be loaded way too hot. Now that loading data is checked more accurately, and the data has been toned down to reflect that, it's clear there are better powders available. So, when my Blue Dot is gone I'll be looking more to Longshot, Power Pistol, VVn105, etc for that velocity range.

Boolit Grand Master

The arsenal molds 220 grain is a winner. My 41 loves 11 grains of 800x.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to The Cult...

This is over in the Favorites section:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ad-Data-Center

As to what cast bullet, any of the Keith designs work. One of my favorites is the older original Keith 220 from MP molds with HP and PentaPoint pins. NOE has the later version of the Keith bullet that is 230 grain and also available with HP pins. 8.0 grains of Unique with any bullet shoots like a laser and is just downright pleasant to shoot.

If you want a heavy, the Accurate Molds 41-250L has been an excellent shooter in all my guns. 22.0 grains of H110 runs 1444 fps from a 6" barrel. They do recoil a bit however.

Don't know what grips are on the version of the BH you bought, but if they are the new checkered black plastic ones...you won't like them, especially with loads with any recoil. They are too narrow and the checking will remove your palm prints.

Have a great time with your new find...

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The arsenal molds 220 grain is a winner. My 41 loves 11 grains of 800x.
    ^^^ that RF boolit is one of my fav's as well.

I am a big fan of Lee molds, I really like the Lee 41 SWC with lube groove...but not a big fan of the Lee's 41 TL boolit. One thing that's a bummer about 41 cal Lee molds, is they only make them in 2 cavity blocks
    with that said, now is not the time to buy Lee equipment, prices are nuts, but sooner or later prices will come back down.
    ...NOW is the time to buy a New mold from one of the higher end manufacturers, like NOE or Arsenal or Accurate or MP Molds.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    Hopefully the rain held off long enough for you to exercise the .41 today.
    Thanks! It was windy and cool so I plinked instead of paper targets. Lots of fun. I found out that even with my current play load of 6 grs of AA#2; the NOE 220 gr hp will go through a gallon jug of ice and stick in the 1x4 pallet slat at 20 feet. I terrorized some cans as well with the 195 SWC Lees as well with the same load. Both of these boolits came from members here- wonderful people!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 116AC4E7-96B4-4107-85E6-47604D2D9AC9.jpg   5240AC06-CFF1-4A38-907C-92F72013C6B8.jpg  

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast