Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 41 mag NM Blackhawk

Boolit Master
    If the damage isn't too bad you can dress the metal down with a stone or fife and see how the sight picture is...then just some touch up cold bluing...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    Well, Picked it up today! I quickly decided that I didn't like the hogue monogrip as it just didn't feel comfortable. first the grip just felt too big in my hand, and I wear an XL glove so its not like I have small hands. The other thing is that the palm swell just sat in an uncomfortable location on my hand. So for the time being its borrowing some grips.

The gun is in pretty good shape except for two things. The first is a disappointment in that the front sight has a pretty good ding that happened sometime between buying it and receiving it. I drew a red arrow to it in the pics below. Its mushroomed out pretty good on the side and kinda messes up the sight picture.

The other issue is that it appears that someone tried to modify the pawl as the edge of the top tooth has some metal removed on the corner similar to the free spin pawl mod. Except it doesn't free spin. I'm not sure how big of an issue this is as everything seems to function as it should. In fact it cocks very smoothly and has a light crisp trigger pull so... Not really sure if this is something or nothing.

Attachment 281644

Attachment 281645

Attachment 281646
    I should have clarified, I have the Hogue rubber grips with the finger swells to stop the grip from twisting on me with my nerve damage.

Boolit Buddy
    I will also add that if any of you that have swapped grips out still have your factory walnut or laminate grips lying around, taking up space, getting in your way and are willing to let them go I just so happen to know a guy in the market for some.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by c0wb0y84 View Post
    I will also add that if any of you that have swapped grips out still have your factory walnut or laminate grips lying around, taking up space, getting in your way and are willing to let them go I just so happen to know a guy in the market for some.
    Hey! That sounds like the Ruger factory! I bet they have a BUNCH laying around in the way! I bet if you call their best-in-the-industry customer support in Newport, and tell them how GOOD they are and how they are the BEST in the industry, and that every gun maker should take a lesson from them, and that you bought a used Blackhawk with Hogue grips and you would like to have some factory grips, they'd likely send you a pair for free!

They might send you a free spin pawl too! But I'd think seriously about telling them someone modded the existing one, unless you get someone that is in a good mood and you buttered them up pretty good already, then you might ask if they ever send those out and if they do, then tell them someone butchered yours..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Here are two moulds every 41 magnum owner needs to have .
    The first one is great range / target / general use accurate boolit that I and my model 58 S&W just LOVE ...one ragged hole groups are expected . Both moulds are from NOE www.noebulletmoulds.com

1.) 413 - 215 - WC (413432) a full wadcutter that is Awesomely Accurate shooting !

2.) 412 - 237 - SWC (KEITH) Elmer Keith's classic design re-created exactly as Elmer designed it .

You may not be able to order them now...seems like everything is out of stock ... but place an order and wait ... at least write down the numbers and do look at 413-215-WC (413432) it is a winner and about all I cast for now .
    It does a number on wild hogs !
    My avatar is my model 58 - 41 magnum w/ rosewood Ahrends retro combat grips ...they are sweet !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-21-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

41mag is not a gun it is an addiction. I have an old Lee single cavity mold. It is labeled 90331. If I remember right (these days my memory is as good as a discount used parachute) it is a 240g SWC. I don't use it any more. If you PM me your address I will send it to you as a gun warming present.
    Welcome to the club!

Randy
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Vendor Sponsor

You fellas might want to check cylinder throats, see if the boolits you want to use will slide through the throats or if they will be downsized upon firing. I get sent quite a few 41 cylinders down in the .409" range, obviously smaller than any 41 barrel, just saying...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    41mag is not a gun it is an addiction. I have an old Lee single cavity mold. It is labeled 90331. If I remember right (these days my memory is as good as a discount used parachute) it is a 240g SWC. I don't use it any more. If you PM me your address I will send it to you as a gun warming present.
    Welcome to the club!

Randy
    LIKE !!!

Addiction ...yes that is the word ... Describes it to a " Tee" !
    When Lyman dropped all 41 moulds from their line I had a minor Panic Attack untill the boys here turned me onto NOE Moulds ... Swede Nelson does an excellent job of taking up the 41 mag. mould slack left by others ... even Lee , they only make 1 conventional and 1 tumble lube designs ... finding moulds for the addiction is getting harder every day .

DougGuy , thanks for the shout-out ... the 1969 made model 58 I have , surprisingly , has all the correct dimensions and tolerances , was LEO carried a lot - shot very little and is a tack driver .
    Whats strange is it groups light , mid-range and heavy loads all pretty close to the same place ...
    That's just weird ... but I'm not complaining . That 215 gr. cast NOE WC and 7.5 grs. of Unique is "The Load" in this gun . You need to try it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    You fellas might want to check cylinder throats, see if the boolits you want to use will slide through the throats or if they will be downsized upon firing. I get sent quite a few 41 cylinders down in the .409" range, obviously smaller than any 41 barrel, just saying...
    I lucked out big time on my model 57. The throats are .410", but the barrel groove diameter is just over .408".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    This and slugging the barrel will be one of the first things I do before trying to work up a load. You know where its headed if they're tight.

I may give Ruger a call and see if they can help before I try anything else with the sight. I will mess with it myself as a last resort. I'm not gonna hold my breath on free anything from them though. I've heard of it happening for some lucky souls but mine doesn't tend be that good.

Boolit Master

It looks like Grafs has some Starline 41Mag brass in stock. I would jump on it fast while it is still there!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

I was just up at Cabelas today they had a used Ruger 41 magnum 4 5/8 looked nice going for around 450 bux if someone is looking
    I dont need two of them
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    ...that is a great price...

Boolit Man

Hey Wheelguns and Texas,

I like the grips on both your Rugers.

I wonder from what material Wheelguns' grips are made. Mammoth ivory, maybe? I'd appreciate, just for the eye-candy aspect, some more photos of your gorgeous Bisley handles.

The stag grips on Tex's Blackhawk also make me jealous. Elk antler, maybe?

My pet loads for the .41 Magnum -- over the last 40+ years -- include 6.5 grains of Green Dot, 7.8 grains of Unique, and about 20 grains of H110, all behind the Lyman 410459 slug (220 grains with my mold and alloy).

The Green Dot load is a pleasant, accurate every-day plinker and fun load.

The Unique recipe produces a reduced-recoil, low-end game load that I've been forced to go to recently because of an orthopedic injury to my right wrist and hand.

In the decades prior to the paw injury, my field-game load was the Hodgdon 110 charge that produced better than 1300 fps from my 6 1/2-inch Blackhawk.

To say that I've enjoyed the .41 over the years is a terrible understatement.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Buddy
    That is a great price for the blackhawk. Slightly better than I got and probably more so considering the issues with it. Although I really wanted the 6.5 in barrel so I'm still happy.

I will have to look into that green dot load. Got plenty of that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    It looks like Grafs has some Starline 41Mag brass in stock. I would jump on it fast while it is still there!

It is still there!

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Gunn View Post
    Hey Wheelguns and Texas,

I like the grips on both your Rugers.

I wonder from what material Wheelguns' grips are made. Mammoth ivory, maybe? I'd appreciate, just for the eye-candy aspect, some more photos of your gorgeous Bisley handles.

The stag grips on Tex's Blackhawk also make me jealous. Elk antler, maybe?

My pet loads for the .41 Magnum -- over the last 40+ years -- include 6.5 grains of Green Dot, 7.8 grains of Unique, and about 20 grains of H110, all behind the Lyman 410459 slug (220 grains with my mold and alloy).

The Green Dot load is a pleasant, accurate every-day plinker and fun load.

The Unique recipe produces a reduced-recoil, low-end game load that I've been forced to go to recently because of an orthopedic injury to my right wrist and hand.

In the decades prior to the paw injury, my field-game load was the Hodgdon 110 charge that produced better than 1300 fps from my 6 1/2-inch Blackhawk.

To say that I've enjoyed the .41 over the years is a terrible understatement.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --
    The grips on my bisley are from buckeye burl, and were very affordable.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Man

Wheelguns,

Thanks for the second look at your Bisley grips. I'm amazed that wood can get that pretty.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

And mine are elk antler from Sack P., thanks.
    I'd carefully file that ouchie from the front sight as mentioned above. And I know a fella as well that will take your tired old Blackhawk grips.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I called ruger today and talked to a very nice girl who set it up for me to send it in and they’ll make it right.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast