WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: Free web based Internal Ballistics Simulator

Boolit Buddy

Free web based Internal Ballistics Simulator

While looking for QuickLOAD alternatives I found a free web based simulator. I searched and could not find a thread about it here and thought others may find it of interest.

http://www.bbt.scot/ballistics/index.htm

It seems to have good data, from what I can tell. Perhaps someone with QuickLOAD could do a quick comparison to vet it.

Does anyone have any experience using this simulator?

Moderator Emeritus
    Looks interesting! Thanks for the link.

Thank's Tim.

Thanks it appears to be pretty accurate checking a few different loads

Boolit Grand Master

A quick calculation with 3 different .308W loads as measured with the Oehler M43 PBL which have proved consistent with published data. shows, with this program, about 10,000 less psi and about 100+ fps lower velocity. Will do further comparisons.

The problem is the simplistic program is just a calculated guess and does not consider variations such as lot to lot of components, Variation and wear in the bore. Ambient temperature, etc.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Look for GRT, free QL type that you download. Appears to be good from my testing.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    A quick calculation with 3 different .308W loads as measured with the Oehler M43 PBL which have proved consistent with published data. shows, with this program, about 10,000 less psi and about 100+ fps lower velocity. Will do further comparisons.

The problem is the simplistic program is just a calculated guess and does not consider variations such as lot to lot of components, Variation and wear in the bore. Ambient temperature, etc.
    Thanks Larry! Your comparison with .308 is very helpful and identifies potential shortcomings.

I am interested in using it to narrow powder and cartridge combinations. It might be useful for rough comparisons and saving some reloading components.

Tim

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Look for GRT, free QL type that you download. Appears to be good from my testing.
    Thanks popper, I will look into it.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Looks interesting, many thanks!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Vendor Sponsor

YAY!!! GRT has a linux mint build as well! QL runs very well on linux once wine is installed, advisable to install wine fonts also, or you might get an error saying QL installer can't find a certain MS font it looks for, wine fonts will give it that font, or you can simply change to a font already in linux and the installer will proceed.

I will load the GRT software just to see it run and get familiar with it, have components but not in any hurry to start using them.

HOW TO RUN GRT ON LINUX

To run GRT on a 64 Bit linux, you have to install several 32 bit compatibility
    packages first. Please read the installation notes in the manual. The PDF
    version of the manual is located in the folder doku/pdf/

If the application still doesnt work on your distribution of linux,
    unfortunately i can't help you, because there are just too many distributions
    out there, i am not a linux expert and the development host of GRT is windows.

Thank you, Gordon
    I am assuming GRT needs wine, but the notes for install give the specific 32bit libraries it needs and shows the commands to install them. I'm glad they picked linux mint and used a very recent version of it for GRT...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRT 32bit libraries to install.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	281450
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-17-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I tested P-Max with 4198 and H322 in .30-40 and found it tracked pretty well with my chrony results. But I listen to Larry's comment about pressure estimation and wouldn't trust it for Maximum loads. It seems a useful tool for moderate Lead boolet loads though.

Thanks for the link! Since I'm running Linux Mint I'll look into GRT too!

I tried to register for GRT but couldn't???
    Last edited by Krag 1901; 05-14-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Krag 1901 View Post
    I tested P-Max with 4198 and H322 in .30-40 and found it tracked pretty well with my chrony results. But I listen to Larry's comment about pressure estimation and wouldn't trust it for Maximum loads. It seems a useful tool for moderate Lead boolet loads though.

Thanks for the link! Since I'm running Linux Mint I'll look into GRT too!

I tried to register for GRT but couldn't???
    That is my takeaway as well. My Linux machine died and I have not tried GRT yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Played with P-Max this morning with the .308, 155-200 gr boolets, and my available powders. Sounds good compared to my chrony results. A nice additional feature might be to enter rifle weight and out put Recoil velocity/energy?

Boolit Buddy
    Today I noticed an e-mail from GRT that gave me a password to my registration! Hooray! Am downloading the Linux based application and will install it to try it out.

The problem with P-Max is the limited powder selections and lack of pistol info. Hopefully the GRT is more flexible but looks more complicated to learn!