Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Pad Advise

Boolit Buddy

Recoil Pad Advise

Which is the best recoil pad for reducing felt recoil. Using a Rem 870 12 ga. rifled barrel Lyman 525 Sabot slug. Testing different loads.
    Recoil using the factory recoil pad is not pleasant with any loads. So need a replacement.
    Which pad do you recommend??? There has to be some thing better out there.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

limb saver

Boolit Master

Kick-eez is another good one. You see them on a lot of Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays shotguns that get shot 100-200 times a day.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Kick eze and add a tube recoil reducer in the bolt hole. Adds weight but they do work

Boolit Grand Master

Kickeeze is the only pad I install anymore. They are a good pad, but they are not a life changer. The best thing you can do is add weight. A steel rod in the hole in the butt stock should add a pound and a half or more. The other thing I use is a PAST recoil pad, which is worn on the shoulder.

Boolit Master

The limbsaver is a good one but go ahead with the permanent, not the slip on. You and I are in the same boat....I load mine with 36 gr Longshot and they’re pretty stout. Hogs really don’t like em though.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Pachmayr D750B Decelerator Field Style on my Browning A5 magnum, Weatherby Orion, 20ga 3" and Rem 11-87 12 ga 3.5", I like the enclosed sides.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    I seem to instal a lot of recoil pads for friends and for me. I generally use the Pachmyer Decelerator and make sure I get the grindable type. There are two ways to go about installation. 1) If you are going to refinish the stock anyway, I cut the wood to give the desired length of pull when the pad is added, fix the pad and then grind the pad and wood at the same time to give a perfect fit. This, of course, means I have to refinish the wood with stain / finish, etc. It results in a a perfect fit of pad to stock. 2) If you don't want to refinish the wood, I cut the stock to result in the desired length of pull, instal the pad and then trace / cut a line on the pad that mirrors the fit to the stock. Pull the pad off and run a piece of chalk over the traced / cut line, thus highlighting the line to grind to and then grind off the stock to the line. Instal and finish with a flat file. Put some masking tape on the wood to prevent slips marring the wood. What was noted above was good advice. Instal one of the recoil managing systems like a heavy metal bar in the through hole or a mercury recoil dampener either in the through hole or in the mag tube. I've tried the spring loaded dampeners but they didn't work well for me. YMMV. Good luck.

Boolit Master

The Pachmayr 750 Decelerator is the best pad out there in my book. That is all I have used for my rifles and shotguns for the pas 35 years. Works for me, james

+1 Limb Saver - Grind to fit - They Work!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I'm heading to the LGS today to see what they have. Since these pads are not that expensive I may end up trying all three.
    Thanks again
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

OK for your 870,,, "If" you have the plastic stock. Remington has a super squishy Gel Type Recoil Pad that will bolt right on. If you have Magpul Stocks then Magpul sells an adapter that allows you to mount one of these pads. I have one on each of my M500's and they work well.

They are about 30% larger than the stock Magpul Butt Pad so they spread the "Recoil Impulse" out over a larger area which cuts down on the perceived recoil.

These made a significant difference in my shooting with these relatively light guns.

Another way to go that works very well are the "Limbsaver Slip On Pads." If you don't want to modify your gun in any way these are the way to go. I have several on different guns, like my #4 Mk1 Enfield that I didn't want to change the stock on. It works very well. They are cheap at Walmart about $15. can't go wrong!!!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100465117.JPG   100464708.JPG   100463769.JPG  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-16-2021 at 10:47 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I’ve Pachmayer Old English Decelerator SC pads on a few and KickEezz on a few others . Can’t say I’ve ever cared for the Limbsaver but to each his own .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I put a piece of wide masking tape on the pad and when installed use an exacto knife to cut around the butt and then peel off the excess tape. remove the pad and then grind to match using the tape as a template.

Boolit Master

The old white line pachmayr is still my go to , somewhat of a traditional aspect to it , older I get more I prefer things familiar to when I was young , some things just are classic for all time .

Boolit Buddy
    Shock Eater is the best that I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    I put a piece of wide masking tape on the pad and when installed use an exacto knife to cut around the butt and then peel off the excess tape. remove the pad and then grind to match using the tape as a template.
    I never thought of that. Great idea, thanks for posting!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    I've used Limb Saver and Kick-Eez, I think Limb Saver is a little softer, but either works very well for a permanent installation, grind to fit. Both have screw holes pre-formed while the Pachmayr always needs to be cut and great care is required to prevent damage during installation. For firearms that have through bolts, removable of the recoil pad and stock is part of periodic maintenance (month, year, 2 years, before THE HUNT) so the formed holes do work better over time. For bolt guns and lever guns with tang screws, the 'hidden' (Pachmayr, Hogue) screw holes are OK, but still more difficult to install than the Kick-Eez and Limb Saver.

Boolit Man
    Limbsaver "Air Tec" is the best I have used, and they are impressive. Regular models of most mentioned are not in the same class.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the advise and your experiences with these. I'm going to shop around tomorrow to see what's available. With this vi-r-us there may not be much in stock. I probably will have to order online. Hope not.
    Thanks again,
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast