Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Weihrauch HW 95

Boolit Master

Weihrauch HW 95

Weihrauch HW 95

I bought one of these rifles after much searching and reading on internet forums. I wanted a rifle that was a good solid shooting machine, accurate, but not too heavy to tote around in the hardwoods come squirrel season. This rifle fit the bill! It is the same rifle as the Beeman R-9, though the Beeman is a little less fancy. It’s heavy for a squirrel rifle at 9-1/4 pouds but no worse than my .54 Renegade or my scoped 870. It handles really well, well balanced, no sense of being awkward or muzzle heavy. It shoulders easily and point well, two traits that are endearing to me as a hunter. It is nicely checkered at the wrist and forend, has an ambidextrous cheekpiece and a plain rubber buttpad. Simple, but a well executed design.

Since my primary use for it was hunting small game, I mounted a scope, a Hawke Vantage 3-9x IR AO. This scope was recommended in an article published by Airgun Depot:

https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/ar...he-rws-34-177/

The author stated that the IR series (illuminated reticle) uses an etched glass reticle that has been shown to be more durable and insensitive to the recoil pulse of powerful springer airguns than the more common wire reticles. The author also suggested that a drooper base should be installed at the outset in the event that, down the road, the gun should develop barrel droop. This was the first airgun I had purchased in over 50 years so I took him at his word.

I will say, the optics are beautiful, absolute crystal clear with a well-defined Mil-Dot crosshair. The illumination control is on the left side of the scope tube, five brightness settings each, red or green. Zeroing couldn’t have been simpler. Because the drooper rail has 10” of elevation built in I knew my first shots would be high. I zeroed the sights on my clubs indoor 50' range using the NRA A-32 Light Rifle Target. Once zeroed, I shot the target below. The white aiming dot measures 0.200". Once I become more familiar with it, I’m sure this rifle will put them all in one tiny hole. That’s 5 shots in the upper right bull, fired from benchrest using H&N 14.66 gr. Field Target Trophy pellets, 5.55mm diameter. The left hand bull was shot from the offhand position. This rifle's gonna’ be a LOT of fun!

Attachment 281359Attachment 281360
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

And it will keep shooting like that for as long as you can stand to shoot it.. They are just that good !!!

Glad you're happy with it,,, now go shoot something with it.

And keep this thread going so others can see what they are missing out on.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I'm telling you Randy, I didn't know what I was missing out on! Wow! It felt odd, not having to eject an empty casing, took me a while to get used to that.....Can't wait to smack a crow with this rig - Did I ever mention how much I love shooting crows? Now, the dilemma is, do I take the airgun, or do I take the old Ithaca SxS? Decisions, decisions........
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Gotta tell a story:

One Saturday Morning about 30 years ago,,, I heard all this squawking out in the front yard. Grabbed my HW77 and chucked up a H&N .22 cal Match Pellet (Flat Nose) went out on the front porch to see what was causing the commotion.
    I saw the Juniper Bush rustling around so I eased out from under the overhang and saw a very large crow in the bush about 10 feet above me. Got the gun in position and waited until he turned his head the right way and,,, fwap! Let him have it right thru the bottom of the head at the base of the beak. He dropped like a stone so I picked him up by the wing tip and marched him over to the trash can. Done.

All was well until Monday evening when my wife took the trash out and when she opened the lid that Crow stuck his head up and squawked right at her. She screamed and I ran out and that bird was giving her hell, and she was screaming Bloody Murder back at it.

I always had an Axe Handle sitting inside the side door just in case, and proceeded to bludgeon the varmint to it's final demise.

Turns out the pellet had gone in the bottom of it's head right even with the jaw hinge and then exited thru the top of it's head while missing it's little Pea Brain. It had been in the trash can for nearly 3 days and was quite pissed when the lid opened up.

If you could have heard her scream, it would have scarred you for life, just like it did to me !!! That was 30 years ago.

I'm usually not allowed to tell that story, but she's in the other room right now.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

LOL! Best laugh I've had in quite a while, thanks Randy!!

unknown

Do you have Iguana's in NY? or just Cuomo's? Too bad you can't shoot them. a .22 cal. pellet in the butt would certainly get their attention.

I am seriously thinking about Florida. Having something fun to do just about every day could keep me going for a long time.

I wonder how much of a living a guy could make removing those pests? I guess people are doing it according to all the vids on Youtube.

I was talking to my Bro who lives in Estero, but works out of Miami. He said the Iguanas are all over the place down there, but not so much around his place. I asked if he had a place for my Airstream Trailer? I'd want something portable so I could leave when the Hurricanes come thru.

Randy

Randy, look up Iguana Solutions on YouTube. That girl is a natural with her air gun. Brodcock air rifle and a good scope and she shoots mostly free hand. She has a degree in Biology and she is not afraid to go and get them.

Boolit Master

AFTER you shoot the gun enough to "settle it in", then your goal is to go on a quest for the "proper" pellet for it.
    Most airguns are like rimfires, they will have a preferred ammo.

I have seen numbers all over the place for the "setttling in" process but it will give you a good bit of practice too.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 05-04-2021 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Correct wording
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!