Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: clamp on front sight

Banned

clamp on front sight

Hello friends,

I have a new Ruger American in .308W. It did not come with sights from the factory. I was looking for some type of clamp on front sight but my Google searches were fruitless.

Have you guys ever come across anything that would work?

Thanks for your time,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

Are there any threaded holes for front sight in the barrel? If not, your gonna have to get that done to bolt a front sight on. Or have a gun smith tig weld one on with all the perfect alignment that's going to entail. I can't ever recall seeing the do-dad your asking about.
    That's a great gun, consider a short fixed power scope if you like quik and handi.

Boolit Grand Master
    A hose clamp and a piece of wire will work for a temporary front sight, to get the total height needed before you order a ramp and insert. Masking tape carefully trimmed has worked also.

Ramps are available that can be screwed on, which needs drilling and tapping of the barrel; or they can be sweated on.

Banded front sight ramps, which look better in my opinion, used to be common as dirt but are now expensive to buy.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    if the barrel diameters are close, Ruger makes a barrel band front sight base for their #1. You will need the base, the sight, a sight retaining pin and spring. NECG also makes them. Check Brownells for either.

Boolit Master

clamp on front sight

Brownells has some steel ramps with dove tails. You should be able to find one that fits the barrel contour and sweat it on, then find the right sight to fit the dove tail.

I would not tig weld it, solder has been satisfactory for well over 100 years
    NRA Endowment Life Member

I would suggest you google "clamp-on front sight".

That will lead you to a bunch of clamp-on front sights, most of which are for AR's.

A little digging will result in a clamp-on for thinner barreled rifles, like a Ruger 10/22 (some of which are "tactical").

I would suggest you first measure your rifle's OD at the muzzle and an inch or so to the rear from the muzzle to determine the ID of the clamp-on band that will fit your rifle.

In any case, it's going to need to be tall enough to match the height of the rear sight, measured from the bore C/L, in order to zero the rifle.

An alternative would be to measure for the total front sight height (including a ramp) needed, then epoxy it to the barrel top (the adhesive is easily removed with a little heat to soften it).

FWIW, I altered several 12ga shotguns for friends over 40 years ago into slug guns via shortening the barrels and epoxying on a front sight - which are all in service, with never an issue with the epoxy failing.

Last edited by pietro; 04-16-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    If you find a ramp that is to be soldered on, check out Anvil097 on Youtube for a great tutorial on tinning and sweating shotgun barrels back together. Some great tips there.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Banned
    You guys are all correct of course.

I have Googled till I am cross eyed. I have used banded front sights before on a Rhineland Arms 45 bolt acrtion.

I am having trouble finding one the is .720" in diameter.

What gave me the idea for the clamp on sight is the terrific front sight on the new Tikka T3 Artctic Rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tikka arctic.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	281408

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will weigh my options go from there.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master

NRA High power match rifle shooters use a clamp on mount for the front globe. Its split and bored to fit barrel usually 2 cross screws o lock it. has a dovetail on top to mount the globe front on They wrk very well and also allow easy zeroing of rear to 0 wind.

I have made them for my use in the past and they arnt hard to make, the bore does have to be close to size and the clamp screws have to be below the bore completely. I added a "jack" screw between the clamp screws to open it when removing or adjusting. Mpst were made from aluminum but a few were steel

These look similar to the clamp on gas blocks for ARs but with the dovetail on top