Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR hog killing options

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm still gathering more info, found out more about WA laws from another forum, and worst thing is, finding an upper, they're sorta rare on the ground as you'd expect in this shortage.

Boolit Master
    I used to hunt feral pigs in Mendocino county many moons ago. I've seen pigs shot through both lungs with a 308 run for a hundred yards and bury themself in a blackberry thicket, then take half an hour to die. Once I shot a pig that was charging me 5 times with a 44 magnum before it went down, (3 rounds were head shots). Then there are other times where I've seen a pig do a bang/flop after one round with a 357 mag. Yes, you can kill a pig with a 22lr, but that sure wouldn't be my first choice. I ended up using a bolt action 30-06 and trying for head shots when possible, and never felt under gunned. If I were going to hunt pigs with a semi-auto, 7.62x39 would be my first choice.

Boolit Buddy
    Be a sport; put a bayonet on your AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    Be a sport; put a bayonet on your AR.

WHAT MAKES THE GRASS GROW

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

300Blk will do anything you need. Ive been on the band wagon since its inception and still think its the cats ***
    Last edited by Mr_Sheesh; 04-25-2021 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Filter bypass

Boolit Master

I have 3 AR-15's, I'd take any of them, 22 Nosler, 300 BO and 50 Beowulf.

Boolit Master
    Lots of experienced good suggestions above. But you may want to Google "hog hunts gone bad" before making your personal decision. I hunt black bear from a ground blind. I use a 45-70 because their strength is scary. I do know of a hunter that successfully used a 243 to kill a big black bear, but he was the teen-aged son of an outfitter.

I'd rather err on the side of overkill than underkill, my knees are shot so I won't be climbing any trees in record time or the like, period. Semi Auto does mean that a repeat shot is (If everything goes right) available almost instantly, a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    WHAT MAKES THE GRASS GROW

BLOOD. Blood makes the grass grow.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

I could back myself up with a good boar spear... Bayonets just seem to turn a rifle into a clumsy spear, boars are pretty fast.

Boolit Buddy
    Red commie blood makes the green grass grow! I have used a 300BLK in the past with great success. These days I prefer the 6.5 Grendel. https://youtu.be/awF2IaoUxVE

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

I hog hunt off the porch at my friends place. If they charge, I'll go in the house. The feeder is 67yds away. AR10 does well but follow up shots are harder to do.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    If you're planning to shoot cast- one of the larger calibers like .350 Legend, .450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom. Those should get you to 150yds or so. If you're planning to use J-words (mostly)- 6.5 Grendel without question. Don't believe me- go on the 65grendel forum and check out the hog hunting videos on the hunting page. You can see there that Grendel has plenty of power but the reasonable recoil lets you see what's happening downrange. Also, it has more range capability than most folks can accurately shoot- supersonic past 1000 yards.

I say "mostly" j-words because I'm doing some experimentation with the NOE 126 FN. Certainly accurate enough (1" or so at 100yds) and I'm getting 2300fps with PC'ed ACWWs sized to .265" and 26gr of IMR3031. I'm thinking it has some medium game potential.

So many choices. So little gun money....
    Last edited by Beaverhunter2; 04-27-2021 at 11:14 PM.

A 308's recoil doesn't bug me much. 180 Gr SPBTs with BLC(2) was my load back in the day, shortish barreled rifle, no muzzle flash even at night (Couple specks of hot carbon, thats not bad.)

7MM Rem Mag, mind you, 40 rounds in a day of 160 Gr SPBT's over compressed 4831 is enough for my shoulder to gripe loudly; For a couple days. But that round would mess hogs up.

But 308 in a semi auto is relatively light for this old bush yeti LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    A 308's recoil doesn't bug me much. 180 Gr SPBTs with BLC(2) was my load back in the day, shortish barreled rifle, no muzzle flash even at night (Couple specks of hot carbon, thats not bad.)

7MM Rem Mag, mind you, 40 rounds in a day of 160 Gr SPBT's over compressed 4831 is enough for my shoulder to gripe loudly; For a couple days. But that round would mess hogs up.

But 308 in a semi auto is relatively light for this old bush yeti LOL
    I also shoot a .450 Marlin with 420gr WFN's at 1700 fps but I never get to see the bullet hit. Of course- one shot and whatever I'm shooting at is done.

With my Grendel- the critter never leaves the scope. I know a lot of hog shooters are trying to get multiple animals out of a sounder so quick follow up and limited recoil would seem to be helpful.

I don't hunt hogs- none in my area. (Thank God!) But I think if I was trying to get "every deer in a herd"- my .450 would probably be one of my last choices. One of my Grendel ARs would be my first. Probably followed by my M1A (with iron sights)....

Like I said- So many choices and so little gun money! The research and decision process is half the fun buying of a new gun! Enjoy!

John

I live in big hog country. 5-600 # big, and we can hunt day or night with lights or thermals, cans, etc. I have several hog adequate rifles for the farm. Prefer the AR-15 platform with big cartridges, like the 358 MGP (necked up, blown out 6.8) with the 200 RCBS cast Powder Coated. I also use the TAC 30 and 30x39 with powder coated cast. 1680 makes a good powder for super sonic and H-110 for subs. With the Armalite AR-10 I use the 308 or 260.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I have not hog hunted but might get it done this year. I am looking at a Trapdoor because, but will have a '86 Remington 870 Police Express Magnum. I have been told to watch for the Russian bore hogs as they take more gun than domesticated wild hogs. Don't know if true but hope to find out.

Boolit Master

Mr Sheesh If you care to venture off the AR the beaten path a bit. I do like my SS Ruger mini thirty with a red dot sight for close up shooting.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Hi all.

In trying to figure out moving, I have one option that has some advantages that I'm looking at, moving to an area that has feral hogs. None of those in this state so I am not displeased

I could use a 30-06 or 308 for those, with CB's I imagine it'd work nicely, but may be overkill? (Heresy, I know.)

If you were in a wild hog area and could dedicate an AR to the task, what caliber(s) seem to be the most applicable for folks?

Terrain is largely open from pics I have seen, with a few lone and clumped / thickets trees/brush. So I suspect longer shots are possible.

I have a good "organic rangefinder and ballistic computer" so I'm not afraid of a slower round with some drop, I've eyeballed rockchucks and coyotes out a long ways so 200 yards with a 300 BO should be easy. Not sure I'll get much further out than that, more to learn.
    nothing beats a 30 carbine
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast