WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR hog killing options

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

AR hog killing options

Hi all.

In trying to figure out moving, I have one option that has some advantages that I'm looking at, moving to an area that has feral hogs. None of those in this state so I am not displeased

I could use a 30-06 or 308 for those, with CB's I imagine it'd work nicely, but may be overkill? (Heresy, I know.)

If you were in a wild hog area and could dedicate an AR to the task, what caliber(s) seem to be the most applicable for folks?

Terrain is largely open from pics I have seen, with a few lone and clumped / thickets trees/brush. So I suspect longer shots are possible.

I have a good "organic rangefinder and ballistic computer" so I'm not afraid of a slower round with some drop, I've eyeballed rockchucks and coyotes out a long ways so 200 yards with a 300 BO should be easy. Not sure I'll get much further out than that, more to learn.

Boolit Man
    I think any rifle caliber would work for what you are wanting to do. It would all come down to personal preference. Before it sunk in a boating accident my 50 beowulf was a fun rifle. The only problem now would be sourcing brass for it. A 7.62x39 would probably be my choice at the moment. Just because I don't have one in the caliber. You already have a 308 so you could skip an AR10, but those are nice too.

Boolit Master

I've come to the conclusion that 300 Blackout is one of the most versatile chamberings there is. For northern WI whitetails, it is what I have settled on over 30-06, 30-30.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think if you could find one in 30 carbine you would be set
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

.458 Socom, .375 Socom, .30 HRT, .300 Ham'r just to name a few.

Boolit Grand Master
    7.62x39 is what I would go with as first choice and maybe 6.5 Grendel for second. Course, nothing wrong with a 458 Socom either

300BO or hamr would do fine. Very economical to shoot. Makes a good truck gun. I'd go for 1:10 barrel in BO. Many have gone to 6.5 for long shots. 200 yds may be pushing the BO with heavier bullets. Wide open means long shots IF you have food around and NV. Hogs are pretty nomadic unless in a food plot. Lighter bullets are good for yotes too. You won't often get a second shot if using a bolt rifle.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    6.8 spc is great for hogs and deer. I have 3 ars in 6.8. And a 4th I’m building as a wildcat with a 6.5 bullet in a 6.8 case. Should be fun.

More velocity than the BO. The blackout was designed to be suppressed, if you are not doing that the 6.8 is a better round. The 350 legend shows promise as well I would choose that over a blackout any day. Loaded ammo is scarce but can be found brass and bullets are fairly plentiful. The only somewhat difficult part to find is a bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Yes, AR was my thought for fast repeat shots, though I can cycle a good bolt pretty fast, semi-auto is faster

Been thinking 7.62x39 for something else, interesting but it'd do for hogs, definitely.

Boolit Buddy
    On a hog hunt last year there was quite a variety of guns in the group and everything was working great. Not all cast boolit shooters though.

Several AR styles in 450 bushmaster accounted well for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    Been researching this same topic, kinda thinking a 45 raptor would be a good option

In years past I have put together AR's in 223, 6.8 spc, 300 BO, 7.62x39, 452 bushmaster and 458 socum . likely all would do the job. 223 may be minimum. My 7.62x39 functioned better and was more accurate than the 300BO. The 7.62 was sweet. With a 458socum you would need bullets suited for a 45/70, many 458 bullets would require much more velocity. The 452 bushy uses .452 bullets, or thereabout, more common with handgun velocity. I really liked the bushy also. I didn't have the 6.8 long enough to use it a lot but again bullet selection may be a problem as many may be to hard for the slower velocity. So anything from a 6.5 on up that tickles your fancy likely would work just fine. And if not, change it. That's the fun part. Just my thoughts. Can't go wrong.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Man
    We have been to Texas twice for hog hunting. We had .223 w/Barnes bullets, 6.5 grendel with hornady sst’s and 350 legend w/federal 180’s. The 350 legend absolutely slayed them compared to others.

The 50 Beowulf works very well too. Haha

Variety is the spice of life. Get them all.

I figure the 450 bushmaster would be perfect. 45 cal boolits and basically equal to the 444 marlin

I have a friend that kills hogs with a scoped .22lr semi auto rifle. He does headshots (eye or ear) on them from a blind 25 yards away from a feeder. Pretty much almost always drops em in their tracks. It's a bunch cheaper too.
    NRA Benefactor

I live and have a ranch in Texas. Lots of hogs. My main rifle for hunting hogs, dogs, cats, and deer is a AR-15 in 6.8 SPC II. I reload my own. Push a 110gr bullet over 2700 fps from a 18” bbl. Very accurate and lots of available rounds. No overpowering: more penetration and upset. I have a 308 and /06. They will kill them but overpenetrate. I prefer the 6.8.

Boolit Buddy
    Hogs aren't hard to kill.

I haven't found my hog yet I'm in central Florida but I'm still hunting for him.I'm carrying 300 blackout 230 grain cast n powder coated ford light blue on top of imr 2447 sub rounds.Their shooting around 1040 fps and group pretty good.It's the ''Elvis ammo load''. I did have to get a pistol length gas system 16in barrel for them to work but for only 6 cent a round hell yeah!

Boolit Master
    I’ve killed more than my share with a 22lr or 22 mag when I lived in Florida. 223/5.56 head shot will be more than adequate, without destroying a bunch of meat. I’ve never used one but I’ve been told that 300 blackout is actually an ideal cartridge especially if you’re going suppressed subsonic . That way you don’t disturb the rest of the Sounder! As others have said they’re not really that hard to kill and any rifle caliber will be fine. The trick being keep it as quiet as possible so as not to disturb the rest of them and you should be able to take out quite a few out of the sounder. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Don’t know if a 22LR or Mag wouldn’t done it.....

https://imgur.com/UqO7xlg
    Last edited by Cast10; 04-15-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast