RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR hog killing options

I had a buddy that went after them rather aggressively .
    He got permission to hunt on a ranch that had a decent size stock pond on it.
    He'd wait until a herd of them came down to drink.
    He'd start at the back, and work towards the ones in the water.
    He'd get 5-7-8 of them with a standard AR in 5.56 with the max. load for 55 or 60 grain spire points.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Cast10 - Can't see that one yet, sadly?

Lots of good info

Boolit Master

Fellow up the road from me does crop damage for a local watermelon farmer. He uses a thermal scope on a suppressed 6.8 and is very successful with the night hunting. To my knowledge he doesn't use any for meat, just leaves them lay for the farmer to bury. I don't why. Could be what they are feeding on gives them a bad flavor. I might try and go with him sometime just to watch. I don't have a thermal or night vision setup to hunt.

My one and only hog hunt thus far was with a 35 Rem lever. It was like the hammer of Thor on the hogs. That being the case, I would opt for 350 Legend which is pretty similar.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

I don't think you could go wrong with any caliber out there for hogs. I've settled on 300 Blackout as the best round I've come across in a while for whitetails, but I still like to break out the 450 Bushmaster and the 350 Legend is growing on me. If you want something different, the big bore's are fun (450, 458, 50) but more expensive to shoot.

300 Ham'r isn't nearly as mainstream or you could go really off the wall and get into the 7 Raptor or 257 Raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Cast10 - Can't see that one yet, sadly?

Lots of good info
    Try this....trying to get this IMGUR down.
    https://imgur.com/UqO7xlg

Boolit Master

At HOGSWAT down in GA, they give guests an AR in 7.62X39 with a can on the end. Last time I was down there, the AR had a high Pulsar thermal imaging scope. They kill thousand of hogs every year.

Big hog, Cast10! Thing I was concerned about is the shield in the front quarters but head shots are doable so that works.

AR hog killing options

Here in Texas, the guys that kill hogs for a living mostly shoot the 6.5 grendel or the 6.8 spc II.
    There ain’t much difference between the 2 within 300 yards. The 6.5 grendel does better at longer ranges. The 6.5 grendel just has way more variations of ammo made for it.
    Not that any is available right now.
    I built a 6.5 grendel over the last year and will take it on my first hog hunt in July . I have a buddy coming down from NJ and we are going to hunt in the Hill Country north of San Antonio.
    I stocked up on 90 gr Speer TNT, 120 gr Speer Gold dot and 129 gr Nosler ABLR. Just need to work some loads up for it. Have not been to the Range since the COVID. But it is about time to go.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned

never shot a pig but have shot 9 deer with mine using the 100 nos bt. But i think that bullet is discontinued. Its hammerd them all the closest was about 50 yards and the furthest around 250.

I kill hogs when I see them on my farm with whatever rifle I have with me- usually a 22-250. It works just fine. I have three friends who hunt them at night with thermal sights and suppressed AR15s. None of the three use subsonic ammo. They use the 6.5 Grendel, the 7.62x39, and the 6.8 SPC. I went one night last week with the 6.5 guy and he let me shoot his rifle- very cool- to kill a 150 lb boar. With a shoulder hit, it ran about 40 yards and died. Hunting from a stand over corn, I use my .223 or my .300 BO with full velocity soft points. Canoeing the Trinity River, I use (by law) a 12 or 20 gauge with buckshot. To dispatch pigs in our traps, usually a handgun is used- .22 to .45acp.
    Like Popper said, they follow no pattern unless you feed them, even then they don't show up every day. They are currently fixated on our wheat fields, but that will change soon ( or not)!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    6.8 is an incredible hunting round. I am not overly enthused with ARs but I will not sell my 6.8 rifle. Ever. It’s a tack driver, it looks incredible, and it puts some serious smack on the target. I haven’t shot a hog with it but it is a deer anchor.

I’ve been building/shooting 6.8’s for over 9 years. It’s all I use, except at night, the 10mm MechTech steps in with NV. Good shot placement is true with ANY caliber. The x39, 6.8 and the likes are good cause they are mid-powered and seem to not overpenetrate as much. The Hornady SST round is a mini handgrenade and will usually dispatch any hog with a ‘decent’ shot. I shoot Horandy 110 OTM (HPBT Match) bullets. That’s what this big boy was shot with. 90 yards in the neck and he went straight down.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a ar based on the 6.8
    it's a 224 Valkyrie shoots 75 grainers to the same hole at 100 yds
    it would be a perfect match for your operation
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I don't shoot subs but this works. Anything from 110 to 170, light and easy to carry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	281402
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Big hog, Cast10! Thing I was concerned about is the shield in the front quarters but head shots are doable so that works.
    Thanks. I’ve shot them thru the shoulders, no difference. Hit the vitals and they go down. My preferred shot is behind the ear to the tip of the shoulder, midway. Otherwise, low on shoulder.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Been on a couple of hog hunts .
    65 yd with a 100 gr Game King in a 257 Roberts was a little more than needed .
    Feet to 50 yd a 1050 fps 45 Colts 255 SWC was plenty .
    30-30 with 150 gr Silver Tips was up to the task .
    222 needed better shot placement with a 50 gr SP .

Given your range and desire for an AR I would definitely recommend the 6.8 SPC . The NOE 279-124 was made for it and with rifle gas in a 20" ARP 5R will deliver 2200+ with H4198 and data for a 130 gr jacketed . It carries 1000+ ftlb at 100 yd and will break both shoulders .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

More good info

I'm well aware of the 224 Valkyrie, was thinking of that as a rockchuck / coyote round, more to think on

Banner Sponsor

Hi Mr Sheesh, I have a Ruger AR in 450 bushmaster and right out of the box would put 5 Hornady's under .5". I try for head shots, no tracking. It hammers them pretty hard.
    Last year I got an AR Pistol in 7.62x39 for hunting out of blinds. I tried lots of cast bullets but didn't get anything fantastic. It has a .308 barrel and a.311" throat. I tried several.308 bullets with okay results, but then tried .310 Barnes TSX and got sub 1" groups right off the bat. 2 years ago I got 11 hogs with a wide variety of calibers, 6.5x55, 300 win mag, 45acp, 450 bushmaster, 54 cal muzzleloader... all worked well.
    This past year we had a big group of tresspassers come through our lease with dogs and ATVs and drove most of the pigs outing the summer. So last year I only saw pigs once and only got 1 shot off.
    Most of my pig hunting is at dusk or night and 50 yds is a max shot, but I have seen them in the day. The 300 win took a 160# boar through the head at 268 paces.

6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel

They are pretty evenly matched out to 400yrds.

the 6.8 feeds smoother, the 6.5G has cheap steel cased WOLF FMJ

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast