RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 SIg

Boolit Grand Master

Seeing some badmouthing and degrading some for their opinions. Not really normal for castboolits, and really childish...

For someone to ask the question as the theme of this thread, indicates they are very lacking in reloading theory, methods, and general practice. The "Well I reloaded a 277 gr LRN over some 4227 in my 38 Special...", posts are worthless and misleading. I've seen .22 lr shot through a .17 cal barrel. Good practice for a new shooter? I agree with Mr. Bannister, if there is no published data for a particular combination of components, there usually is a reason, and reloading manuals are definitely not just meant for the uneducated masses! Some reasons may be a too inefficient load, impractical, and some may be bordering on dangerous (or just plane stupid). The OP obviously has very little experience (no big deal, we all gotta start sometime) and to tell him to extrapolate data from a different bullet/cartridge/gun load is misleading, irresponsible, and a disservice to the new guy. Some of us more experienced reloaders have "played", experimented with "out of the norm" reloading, but most of us knew what were doing and had an idea what to expect. Just because an experienced reloader can get away with something out in left field does not mean he should suggest that to a neophyte reloader...
    Last edited by mdi; 04-17-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by penrosepete View Post
    Can I shoot 358 gr. lead semi wadcutters in a 357 sig? reason I have a lot of them. can I use 357 mag data safely.
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    I don't think anyone advocated him using .357 Mag data, and I have no gripe with people stating that. I do take issue with everyone else treating a new forum member like an incompetent or child. It's inappropriate and does our reloading/shooting community a disservice.

For the record:

Most cast loads for modern cartridges are "reduced" from factory maximum pressure spec. Alliant's .357 Mag data for Bullseye lists a max of 4.8gr with a 158 SWC at 939fps. They do not list a reference pressure, but it sure looks low to me. As I mentioned above Quickload says you'll be at the peak pressure for 357Sig at 5gr Bullseye with that one Hornady cast bullet. That's in excess of the "max" .357 Magnum Alliant data, but within the pressure spec of the Sig round.

Will 4.8gr of bullseye work well for 357Sig? Most likely not, but Bullseye, in this case, will probably be as safe as if you had tried to use the same handloading methods published in any reloading manual for .357 Magnum (reduced starting loads).

The CB Safety Brigade can call me out, but in reality there is a lot of overlap in cartridges/loads and there will never be published data for every single component combiniation. Dogmatically adhering to only the published cartridge/component combinations is irrational, and disrespectfully berating people who safely test unpublished data/combinations is unnecessary.

The OP asked if he could use 357 Mag data. No one suggested it to him.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    I don't think anyone advocated him using .357 Mag data, and I have no gripe with people stating that. I do take issue with everyone else treating a new forum member like an incompetent or child. It's inappropriate and does our reloading/shooting community a disservice.

For the record:

Most cast loads for modern cartridges are "reduced" from factory maximum pressure spec. Alliant's .357 Mag data for Bullseye lists a max of 4.8gr with a 158 SWC at 939fps. They do not list a reference pressure, but it sure looks low to me. As I mentioned above Quickload says you'll be at the peak pressure for 357Sig at 5gr Bullseye with that one Hornady cast bullet. That's in excess of the "max" .357 Magnum Alliant data, but within the pressure spec of the Sig round.

Will 4.8gr of bullseye work well for 357Sig? Most likely not, but Bullseye, in this case, will probably be as safe as if you had tried to use the same handloading methods published in any reloading manual for .357 Magnum (reduced starting loads).

The CB Safety Brigade can call me out, but in reality there is a lot of overlap in cartridges/loads and there will never be published data for every single component combiniation. Dogmatically adhering to only the published cartridge/component combinations is irrational, and disrespectfully berating people who safely test unpublished data/combinations is unnecessary.

Amen on the entire post!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12