Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 1886 Mannlicher

1886 Mannlicher

At my local shop there is a pretty nice Chilean 1886 Mannlicher in the original 11mm Werndl. I never owned a black powder rifle before and this is priced right. I know it's going to be an expensive proposition to get running. Anybody have experience with these? What mold would you recommend? Should I powder coat and gas check the boolits? What is your preferred recipe? C&H makes the dies, they are in their catalog.

Boolit Mold
    I have two of these. One has a .446 groove diameter, the other has .454" diameter. I reload for these without the correct dies. The larger bore is OK with the CBE Gras 2 diameter bullet, but it is a PIA to lube. The other, I PP the Lyman Spanish bullet. Works well.

I form the cases from Starline 50 Alaskan....also a pain. The biggest handicap is the 20lb trigger pull.

Boolit Bub
    I reload 11x58R using 450-400 Hornady brass. It forms easily through CH4D dies and you end up with a correct length case after trimming (I hate short cases). I just had a D-bit cut to alter a LEE mold to drop paper patch bullets similar to the original factory bullet. Haven't had a chance to load and shoot them yet though. Other options are the Lyman 439186 or possibly the RCBS 446-370-FN.