WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Thinking about getting a 6.5 JDJ

Boolit Buddy

Thinking about getting a 6.5 JDJ

I am thinking about getting a 6.5 JDJ and am wondering how tough it was getting 225 Winchester brass prior to the current shortages? I know it's bad now but I don't want to buy a barrel for a round I can't produce even when this shortage lightens up.

Boolit Grand Master

Before this I was able to find 225 Win brass for a reasonable price. I have both at 225 and 6.5 JDJ.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

If you’re ready to move past “thinking about”, I picked up some 6.5 JDJ components in a garage sale that I’ll never use.

Boolit Buddy

There was a rumor going around on the Specialty Pistol site that Peterson's was going to do a run of 225 Winchester brass last year. But now that 5.56 and 9mm are so hot I don't they will switch over tooling to do anything but. I shows up on GunBroker now and then but brings $2.00 each on the low end.
    I had always wanted a 6mm JDJ. Last year I got lucky and found 500 pieces of brass for .75 cents a piece. Bought them then went on a hunt for a barrel. It's one of my best shooting barrels.
    Good luck

Boolit Buddy

It's pretty sad that you have to think about getting the components prior to the barrel these days

Gkainz - I appreciate the offer. If I do go that route I will definitely contact you.

I was actually looking for a 309 JDJ (have enough 444 brass to cover me for a while) and saw this 6.5 JDJ and am intrigued with everything I have read so far. Actually I can say that for most of the JDJ rounds

Boolit Buddy

I also have some 375 JDJ brass (444 marlin parent case) and a bunch of 375 bullets. I’m resisting the urge to get guns to match the seed components. I guess I should post it up and clear out some space on my bench before I succumb to the temptation.
    I failed to resist building a 22-250 after picking up a pretty good bunch of components for it.

Boolit Master
    Stupid question. Could a Marlin 336 in 444 Marlin be rebarreled to 6.5 JDJ?. Or is it a bolt gun proposition only?. Just curious. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Stupid question. Could a Marlin 336 in 444 Marlin be rebarreled to 6.5 JDJ?. Or is it a bolt gun proposition only?. Just curious. Frank
    The 6.5 JDJ is based on a 225 Winchester so a 30/30 Marlin would have the proper extractor. The issue is proper bullets for a tube mag.

I don't believe Marlin even made a Model 336 in a .444 Marlin. It had it's own model designation of model 444 than later it was in the model 1895. Both the 1984 and the 444 are based on a 336 but they are not 336's.
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/marlin_336_444_1895.htm
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-15-2021 at 03:53 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I was interested in a 6.5 JDJ Contender barrel, but in the end decided on 7-30 Waters instead. Not only are components easy to get (pick-up cases abound on the range every fall, often 20 at a time in the box they came in), but it is superbly accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I was interested in a 6.5 JDJ Contender barrel, but in the end decided on 7-30 Waters instead. Not only are components easy to get (pick-up cases abound on the range every fall, often 20 at a time in the box they came in), but it is superbly accurate.
    That seems like a more sensible approach than being married to a rare and expensive parent case.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhound689 View Post
    It's pretty sad that you have to think about getting the components prior to the barrel these days

Gkainz - I appreciate the offer. If I do go that route I will definitely contact you.

I was actually looking for a 309 JDJ (have enough 444 brass to cover me for a while) and saw this 6.5 JDJ and am intrigued with everything I have read so far. Actually I can say that for most of the JDJ rounds
    That's how the wildcat game is played now for me. If the barrel does not include dies and brass. I usually find a set of dies that are reasonably priced then have a barrel made or rechambered. I made the mistake of picking up a 25 Classic barrel back last summer. Called Todd Kindler about getting some dies for it but he doesn't stock them. Probably be a year long wait to get Redding to make them and over $200.00 for them.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post

The 7-30 Waters is what started me in Contenders. Now I am more interested in wildcats. Having more fun loading them and researching. I do know that the Waters isn't really a wildcat but.... got the 375 JDJ and now I want all the JDJs

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    That's how the wildcat game is played now for me. If the barrel does not include dies and brass. I usually find a set of dies that are reasonably priced then have a barrel made or rechambered. I made the mistake of picking up a 25 Classic barrel back last summer. Called Todd Kindler about getting some dies for it but he doesn't stock them. Probably be a year long wait to get Redding to make them and over $200.00 for them.
    It's definitely a plus if you get the dies with the barrel. I lucked out with the 375 JDJ. Came with a clean set of Reddings plus a bunch of brass. Oh and 4 Hornady unloaded bullets

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info. Would have to dig out my 444 Marlin to see what is stamped on the barrel. So bolt gun only. Thanks,Frank

Boolit Buddy

I guess my mind has been made up. Going with the 309 JDJ. Thanks to one of the members on here. It's what I was originally wanting. There is plenty of room for the 6.5 later on down the road.

Boolit Mold
    I was searching and saw your post. Just picked up a 6.5 JDJ for my daughter. I was looking for some 225 Win. brass. Any help appreciated.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dboren68 View Post
    I was searching and saw your post. Just picked up a 6.5 JDJ for my daughter. I was looking for some 225 Win. brass. Any help appreciated.
    I never did pick up the 6.5. Ended up going with the 309 JDJ. hopefully someone will chime in with some.

Boolit Buddy
    I went with the 6.5x30 JDJ 25 years ago. Back then I thought getting 225 brass was going to be a problem sooner or later. I am totally happy with the 30-30 based wildcat. Case capacity is virtually identical to the 6.5 JDJ. I load for it using 6.5 JDJ Load Data. Brass life seems to always come up when comparing the two chamberings. Brass life has never been an issue with the 6.5x30 JDJ that I own. I am sure it gets brought up by someone who does not own or load for a 6.5x30 JDJ.
    Case Forming: I start with NEW 30-30 Brass. I first neck it down in a 7-30 Waters Sizing Die, then I size them in the 6.5x30 JDJ Sizing Die, then trim.

I have never done any comparisons, but I am pretty sure the 6.5x30-30AI is pretty much identical to the 6.5x30 JDJ.

Bob R

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    I went with the 6.5x30 JDJ 25 years ago. Back then I thought getting 225 brass was going to be a problem sooner or later. I am totally happy with the 30-30 based wildcat. Case capacity is virtually identical to the 6.5 JDJ. I load for it using 6.5 JDJ Load Data. Brass life seems to always come up when comparing the two chamberings. Brass life has never been an issue with the 6.5x30 JDJ that I own. I am sure it gets brought up by someone who does not own or load for a 6.5x30 JDJ.
    Case Forming: I start with NEW 30-30 Brass. I first neck it down in a 7-30 Waters Sizing Die, then I size them in the 6.5x30 JDJ Sizing Die, then trim.

I have never done any comparisons, but I am pretty sure the 6.5x30-30AI is pretty much identical to the 6.5x30 JDJ.

Bob R
    Bob, it would be interesting to see the ballistics comparison between your 6.5x30 JDJ and the 7-30 Waters. Probably shoots a few hundred FPS faster and a little flatter.