WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Prize Winning Bread Pudding

Prize Winning Bread Pudding

Like bread pudding? Like flan? This recipe combines them - and yes I did win a prize with it at a dessert bake-off.

First, melt half a stick of butter in a 2" deep cake pan. Then cover the butter with brown sugar. Then cover all that with shredded bread of your choice. I like Mexican Bolillos. Then mix up two eggs and a cup and a half of milk. Add a little vanilla. Pour the egg, milk, and vanilla mixture over the bread. Mash the bread down so it all gets wet. Put the cake pan inside a larger one that has water in it. Bake at 350 deg. F for an hour. Immediately after taking it out of the oven turn it over so the caramel on the botton flows over the pudding like with flan.

Enjoy.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Sounds amazing !! Will definitely give this a try !!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Banned
    Do you have measurements/pictures for the brown sugar and the bread?

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Do you have measurements/pictures for the brown sugar and the bread?
    No, I have never measured any of it. Cover the bottom with brown sugar about a quarter inch thick. It will soak up the melted butter. The mixture of the butter, brown sugar and milk/egg mixes to make the caramel. You cannot go wrong unless you don't like sweet things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    No, I have never measured any of it. Cover the bottom with brown sugar about a quarter inch thick. It will soak up the melted butter. The mixture of the butter, brown sugar and milk/egg mixes to make the caramel. You cannot go wrong unless you don't like sweet things.
    Sounds wonderful, I love both bread pudding and flan. My wife hates both. Now the question is why does she hate both. Wait for it...here it come....she hate the taste of butter. She can't stand to even smell it and won't even put it on the table. Never heard of such a thing? Neither had I, but there you have it. It is fun to go to a high end eatery and listen to her ask the chef to fix her meal with olive oil instead of butter. She gets some interesting responses. I figure she has it coming with such a request. I just sit back, grin and order my meal with butter.

I will copy this to my cooking file and it well get made, but not by her.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Moderator Emeritus

Memories of childhood. We were poor and this was a good way to use up stale bread!

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds delicious!

Boolit Bub
    MMMMMM I will have to give that a try

Banned
    curious about the amount of bread "2" deep cake pan" Round? or 11x17 sheet?

fill to the top of pan sides 2" of loose bread or?

apologies, I'm more of a scientific cook. the three words I hate the most are "season to taste"

Boolit Master

Bread Pudding is my absolute favorite! Your saying its that easy. I gonna try it. Thank you

As has been said, bread pudding was a good way for us poor folk to use the stale bread that we could buy for pennies a loaf. It was a real treat......
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    curious about the amount of bread "2" deep cake pan" Round? or 11x17 sheet?

fill to the top of pan sides 2" of loose bread or?

apologies, I'm more of a scientific cook. the three words I hate the most are "season to taste"
    No problem. I always use a rectangular pan. Most frequently an 8"x8" cake pan because there are just the two of us. If you use a longer and/or wider pan you will need to add an egg or two, more milk, and bread. Make sure you have a good layer of melted butter on the bottom. Then add brown sugar until you have the quarter inch of it. It will soak up the melted butter and it will help the bread pudding to release from the pan. Then in goes coarsely torn bread. Day old bread is fine. Don't think I'd use anything fancy like Rye or pumpernickel. The seeds and spices will overpower the rest. If you have some hot dog or hamburger buns left over from a cook out use them. Mix up milk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour it over the shredded bread and mash down so all the bread is wetted. You can jazz this up a bit by putting some shredded coconut on top of the brown sugar before the bread. I tried that after a visit to Costa Rica. First place I have ever experienced Coconut Flan.