RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Amount of Powder and Burnout Point Question

Amount of Powder and Burnout Point Question

I was doing some simulations today for a couple of .357 Magnum rifle loads, and I noticed something I had never seen before. It seems that when I decreased the amount of powder for the load, it moved the peak pressure point and powder burn out point closer to the muzzle (or after the bullet left the barrel), and when I increased the load, it moved the peak pressure point and powder burn out point closer to the breech. I tried it with a few different powders to see what the effect was, and in each case, it was the same.

Is this really the way it works, and if so, why?
    Last edited by Mr_Flintstone; 04-14-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Smokeless powder burns more quickly as pressure increases. Bit of a vicious circle one might say. The inverse is true as well. Less pressure, slower burn rate, flatter pressure curve.

I was doing some simulations today....
    ...with what model?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    Yes.

Chemistry/physics:

pV=nRT

e.g Ideal Gas Law

For a given load, you can offset/compensate the peak pressure by pushing the bullet back into the case for a shorter overall length (changing the 'V' in the formula above). This is why people might be concerned over bullet "setback" regarding high pressures and guns not built to safely withstand pressures well in excess of the cartridge design.

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    ...with what model?
    I was using Gordons Reloading Tool to check 125 grain jacketed bullets with Bullseye,Unique, Titegroup, and 231 in a 20” barrel.

Boolit Master

Something i learned from Donny summers that helped me with powders burning better. And leading. I asked if he makes 12 BHN boolets for in my sw 25. It was a simple fix. He said don't be afraid to give a heavy crimp. And it worked i didn't get any leading.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

As mentioned above, most modern powders are progressive burners.
    "Burn Rate" is only starting burn rate.

They burn/consume themselves faster as pressures rises.
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=15

While the powders may burn out sooner at higher load pressures, they
    still increase the area under the pressure curve associated w/ bullet
    travel in the barrel. It's then the total AREA of the curve that does "work"
    to acceleratenthe bullet -- hence increase velocity by the end of travel/muzzle.
    Last edited by mehavey; 04-15-2021 at 06:38 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    I was doing some simulations today for a couple of .357 Magnum rifle loads, and I noticed something I had never seen before. It seems that when I decreased the amount of powder for the load, it moved the peak pressure point and powder burn out point closer to the muzzle (or after the bullet left the barrel), and when I increased the load, it moved the peak pressure point and powder burn out point closer to the breech. I tried it with a few different powders to see what the effect was, and in each case, it was the same.

Curious if your simulations involved IMR4227. I had some serious keyholing at 100 yards while trying to work up loads for 185gr, BTB FNGC bullets in a 24" Rossi using IMR4227, (13.0-14.0gr) I didn't stay with it to see if max or max+ loads would work because H110 was working with all loads. I was surprised 4227 didn't do well, as it was/is my impression IMR4227 should have excelled out of that long barrel.
    Last edited by oley55; 04-14-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan