Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Best way to drain a lube sizer?

Boolit Bub

Best way to drain a lube sizer?

I recently went through the process of changing lubes, actually a couple times. Each time, I was faced with needing to empty my Lyman 45 lube sizer so I could start using the new lube. I placed a bucket under my bench-mounted lube-sizer, removed the sizing die, and then used a heat gun to heat up the body of the sizer. I then pointed the heat gun into the die opening as I screwed down the plunger. The process was a bit messy, but it did drain the sizer of all the old lube. The process was easier the second time as I've been moving to progressively softer lubes with each iteration. I made no attempt to save/re-use what I drained but contemplated un-mounting my sizer from the bench and attempting to drain the melting lube back out the top of the body into a container so I could save/re-use it. The disadvantage there IMO was not having the aid of the plunger to get things flowing.

I'm sure there's a better/smarter way to do this so I'd love to hear from others who have settled on a good approach.

Thanks in advance.

That's pretty much how I do it too.
    The only way that I can see an easier way to do it would be to have more than one sizer,
    or use one type of lube for everything.

Then,,, there's powder coating.......
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When I change lube ( witch is rarely) I don’t bother to clean my Lyman 45, or my 450. I just use up what’s in the lube sizer and add the new lube. If I did decide to clean it out, I would do it as you described.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, and apologies to the long-time members here. Rookie mistake - I should have done a search. Looks like I'm about the 100th person to have asked this question and received answers. Lots of good ideas and feedback lurking in the archives for sure!

Boolit Bub
    may be a lot of trouble ,but you could unbolt it from the table , but it in a big pan of water, and boil it ,it might melt the wax and get it out ,

Boolit Bub
    may be a lot of trouble ,but you could unbolt it from the table , but it in a big pan of water, and boil it ,it might melt the wax and get it out , i think i did that once ,but Iam so old now i cant remember if i did ,or thought about doing it long ago . it if i did it was only once ,ever sence i just run till old lube is empty and stick new type of lube in and let intermix till old lube is al the way gone ,

Boolit Master
    Boil it, bake it, fry it in a pan. Oopse that's chicken.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    Thanks guys, and apologies to the long-time members here. Rookie mistake - I should have done a search. Looks like I'm about the 100th person to have asked this question and received answers. Lots of good ideas and feedback lurking in the archives for sure!
    You don't have to apologize to me. There are years worth of conversation in the archives. How much has shooting changed in the last 5 years or so? Lots of topics are going to come up over and over. New people asking and new people answering. If nobody is allowed to re-ask a question, and every discussion has to be a fresh topic, this forum will be nothing but members selling range brass and pictures of new gun purchases.

Boolit Master
    I rebuilt 3 --450's last year and one had old hard grease. I took all the screws out and propped it in a skillet and put a large solder iron in the cylinder and walked off and it did it's thing. Easy.

Boolit Man
    Took mine off the bench. Placed it in an old bread pan, plugged in an old light bulb and wrapped everything with a double layer of tin foil. Worked like a charm and no mess.

Boolit Master
    Time and slow dry heat will do it just fine. I have done it twice. Eventually bought a second lubrasizer so have one for smokeless and one for black powder lube. Even then I like to play with lube choices so I go back to time, slow, dry heat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lpel View Post
    Took mine off the bench. Placed it in an old bread pan, plugged in an old light bulb and wrapped everything with a double layer of tin foil. Worked like a charm and no mess.
    And I have learned that responses from members who have been members for 100 years yet have a handfull of posts should be listened to with big ears! When searching for a answer to a 9mm issue years ago, I garnered about 100 replies. Most were silly responses and guidance to a 40 caliber. One member who I can't recall at this typing replied with one word: AA#7.

I discounted, missed, ignored his "newby" response for a year while I scratched my head. I then reread the thread and his entry stood out since he had been a member for decades yet had only about 22 posts. I researched his answer, loaded some cartridges, and guess what? Problem solved.

So whoever is reading this lengthy reply - do not discount these members who have been members for decades yet have a few dozen posts. They are usually very experienced gray beards who don't have a lot to say. When they do reply, it's GOLD.

....and that's all I have to say about that.

Boolit Master

I know you are right........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the compliment Tar. It’s appreciated ��