Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 8mm mauser and unique question

Boolit Mold

8mm mauser and unique question

hello all. i have been a member here for about 12 years. although i changed my handle a couple of years ago. i used to be "bowhunter" anyway i look a lot but post little. i have been handloading since 1967 as a young boy and casting since 1981 i have never used a fast pistol powder in rifle. i have a 8x57 with .323 bore i want to use unique in. but what troubles me is the amount of air space with a 200gr. cast boolit and 12gr. or so of unique. do i need a filler on top of the powder? i see no reference to doing that,,,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Master
    Do not use a filler with Unique or any of the “pistol” powders in the 8x57. These fast burning rate powders are easily ignited and fillers will only increase chamber pressure; possibly to dangerous levels. Use a manual to select a starting load for the boolit weight you want to use and use a light case neck tension on the boolit to prevent distortion. Go to slower burning rate powders if you’re interested in increasing velocity to keep the chamber pressure down so accuracy remains acceptable. Which boolit are you using?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Mold
    well i really don't know what boolit i have. a man gave me some the other day he bought at a gun show. they weigh about 216gr. flat base no gas check, 4 lube grooves and a round pointed profile. they are cast nice. i do cast and shoot 30 rem. 32 rem. 32 sp. 30-30, 35 rem. and others. but i use rifle powders. i have always wanted to try a fast pistol powder but just never have. i am going to give it a try,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm mauser (10).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	281303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm mauser (5).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	281307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm mauser (8).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	281308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm reciever.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	281309

here is my rifle. it is a 1932 commercial sporting mauser,,,,,,,,,,,,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8mm mauser (4).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	281310

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet rifle !
    Always had a thing for the "butter knife" bolt handle ... cool !
    12 grains of Unique should be fine , watch for leading with plain base boolit . No filler required but if you lift the muzzel up , slight angle up , maybe even bump the stock a bit , just before taking a shot the theory is the powder moves to the rear of the case and shots are more consistent ... I admit to doing it ...not sure it helps but can't hurt .
    If it shoots half as good as it looks ... you got a winner .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    thanks Gary. i think this gun was never fired until i got it about 3 months ago. it came from an estate in NY, a woman bought it from Abercrombie and fitch in 1932 for a birthday present for her husband. it was put away and believed he never fired it! anyway i have a range at home. i just loaded and fired 12 and 13.5 gr. of unique and some SR4759 all off the bench at 50yds the groups were promising about 3/4in. then after about 20 rounds they started to open up. i think from some leading. i have the bore soaking now as my wife is fixin my supper. us old folks we eat early here in SC. LOL, thanks for the help, yea i have heard about tipping the barrel up so the powder is against the primer, that is one reason i was asking about a filler. thanks for the replies,,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Grand Master

3/4" sounds very promising ... I would bet money a gas check would help !
    I'm a believer in gas checks , so excuse me if I carry on ... some folks think the Black Death is preferable to a gas check ... but I've never had a rifle / handgun shoot worse when one was used ... and usually the groups tighten .
    Anyways you got a good start . If you have any Red Dot powder ... try 13.0 grains w/ that Boolit.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

olskool, I've been using 12.5gr. Unique in my .30-06, 7.65 x 53mm Arg. Mau. and my 8 x 57mm Mau. with heavy CB's and no problems with air space in the cartridges (no fillers either!). Accuracy has been excellent and excessive pressure non-existent in any of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice rifle indeed! You might be able to use your 32 Special boolits in this. I cast RCBS 32-170-FN and use them in both cartridges. My 8mm sporter is on a late WWII barreled action and shot this bullet well with 4198 and H-4895 and I'm sure fast powders would as well but haven't tried em yet.

Boolit Mold
    i do have red dot powder. that will be next on my list to try. i will give that a go in the morning along with 2400, i think what will limit me is the only boolit i have for it is the ones i have already cast. i will pull out my 32sp. mold and cast a couple and see what they drop at, it is a GC mold, maybe able to use that one like "NEKVT" suggest to do. if not i will look around for one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boolit Master
    I am one who uses COW... well... actually Corn Meal, filler, and about 12.0 gr of Unique, in the 8mm... Not supposed to be Ok... But, Works for me, with plain base Boolits.. with Checks...Nope!
    BTW Beautiful Specimen you have there... about everything I own is a beater!!!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I am one who uses COW... well... actually Corn Meal, filler, and about 12.0 gr of Unique, in the 8mm... Not supposed to be Ok... But, Works for me, with plain base Boolits.. with Checks...Nope!
    BTW Beautiful Specimen you have there... about everything I own is a beater!!!
    I experimented with corn meal years ago. I found many times it would leave a hard cake in the shoulder area of bottle necked cartridges, and if not removed, would increase pressures.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banner Sponsor

Very nice rifle for sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I experimented with corn meal years ago. I found many times it would leave a hard cake in the shoulder area of bottle necked cartridges, and if not removed, would increase pressures.
    Interesting... First anyone I had actual contact with has had that... Mostly someone "heard" about it..
    I have expected such goings on... but, have not experienced it..
    In Fact I am Shooting an 8mm Mauser Clean at this time.. Using Red Dot, due to not wanting to run low on Unique over "Cleaning" but.. still... Corn Meal!! Not under a projectile to Start tho... again, all Gas Checked and too Pricey to be "Cleaners"
    Wax is Working just fine... a plug that Fills the neck, heated a bit with a Bic to ensure seal...
    Maybe One day... I'll do a thread or sumpin like that!!!!