Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Universal from Canada problem

Boolit Mold

Universal from Canada problem

I posted this on Rugerforum.com and did not get a definite answer. I opened a jug of Canadian made Universal ( rose colored stuff ) and ran it thru my Uniflow measure that has had about 20# of the Aussie made stuff run thru it. About all it did was bind about every 3rd or 4th throw and was not very smooth. I tried it in 3 Uniflows with the same result. Even put a new small drum in one of the Uniflow measures and no better. I ran some of the Aussie stuff and it was fine I also ran some Unique and it ran thru the Uniflow just as easy as the Aussie Universal. Has anyone had the same problem ? I was measuring 7.0 gr. It seemed to shoot okay but not as good as the Aussie stuff. I was loading 240 gr. RNFP in a 44 mag case. Thank you for your help. Jerry

Sounds like a moisture/humidity issue.

I'd lay some out on a sheet of paper to dry and see if that helps.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd lay some out on a sheet of paper to dry and see if that helps.
    I am not familiar with Universal but as mr Winger said pour some on a piece of paper and look at it. Several years back I had a new 8 lb jug of 4227 that kept binding up my Lyman 55. This after using at least 6 lbs of 4227 from different batches. Once on a white sheet of paper the problem was apparent. Some of the extruded grains were up to 10 mm long. Hodgson said the cutter blades must have been bad and replaced the jug.
    Never hurts to look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D353DCF-28CC-4933-A923-332B96C403BD.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	281312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B00C54E4-CF5D-4D45-B9E2-D3384C8F9E19.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	281313

Boolit Mold
    This AM I called Hodgdon and spoke with a fellow. He stated that others have complained but it is the nature of the beast. I am still not satisfied. I will pour some on a piece of paper tomorrow but it does appear to have larger flakes than the Aussie Universal.

Boolit Master

Yea, the first guy I talked to at Hodgson said the extra long noodles in my 4227 wouldn’t matter —IF— I was using a electronic auto scale dispenser. I explained it didn’t make sense to buy a $300 auto scale to use a $200 jug of powder just because they had an equipment problem, but if they wanted to send me one I’d be satisfied. It took several calls & emails but they sent a new jug.

Boolit Mold
    A little bit ago I got a piece of paper and placed some Aussie Univ., some Cana. Univ. and some Unique. The Unique is a bit larger in diameter than either of the Universal powders and it flows just fine thru the Uniflow, the 2 Universal powders are the same. The guy mentioned that the Cana. Univ. has a coating of some type that allows it to be sold to the European market. That I think is what is causing the binding. The flakes are not cut after going through the Uniflow. He also stated that the Lee with the sliding bar that is used on the progressive press does much better for charging. I will use what I have to use and when Unique is AVAILABLE and AFFORDABLE I will swap, not sure what I will do with the Canadian stuff.

Boolit Bub
    The Canadian stuff flows better through my lee perfect than anything else.

Boolit Master
    I know several action shooters (high volume pistol shooters) who loved the Aussie Universal but can't stand and stopped using the Canadian Universal due to the only thing consistent about Canadian Universal is that it was "consistent in its inconsistency". It works great for shotshell reloading but now sucks for Pistol reloading.