WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Overpressure Misdiagnosis

Boolit Master

Overpressure Misdiagnosis

I recently built an 03A3 "Carbine" from some deactivated drill rifle parts, like one Baltimoreed pictured in one of his previous posts. I used a polished and blued 20 inch 1903 barrel that some one had thoughtfully cut down, an 03a3 stock cut behind the barrel band, and a handguard with a split the entire length, and a 1 inch chunk of wood gone from the breach end. I spliced an old forearm piece to the front of the stock, and shortened the handguard to match, and made a handsome and handy little carbine from a bunch of misc junk parts.

Well, I took it along to last weeks CBA match, to try it out. Was using a load of IMR Red, 12 grs. ans a Saeco 315 bullet. Has always seemed a pretty mild load to me, but after a few rounds the bolt was getting harder and harder to lift, in fact I eventually had to smack the bolt with the heel of my hand to lift the bolt. All the cases looked fine, and the primers looked good, so it can't be pressure causing the sticking bolt. Well it finally dawned on me to pull back the striker, and cock it, before I lifted the bolt. I could lift it with one finger.

I had to replace the welded drill bolt body with a new one, and had to clean out all the cosmolene with brake cleaner, before I reassembled it. I re-oiled the striker spring, and greased the bolt lugs and body, and it worked smoothly in the rifle. But the beveled area on the bolt, and the cocking lug of the striker were bone dry !!! Learned my lesson, old guns work properly when they are greased properly ! Oh, my little new favorite rifle shot a 99-5X on one target at 100 yrds.

That sounds like my kind of ‘03 carbine. How about some photos? You can also trim back the mainspring to make it easier to cock [lift the bolt], white lithium grease works good for me. Those GI striker springs were designed for mil spec primers. I’ve trimmed mine back and I use cci primers without issues. What’s a CBA match? Good shooting Guy!
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-14-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I never thought to trim the spring back a little, I'll try to find an extra to experiment with. The Cast Bullet Association military benchrest match was held by Sioux Falls,SD, and they also have one in Sioux City,IA , that I have shot at twice. Not sure if I could get a good picture with my old flip phone, but I could try to send you one.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It's surprising how many neglect lubing the locking lugs. That is the main cause for developing head space issues.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!