RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: How Long Will They Produce ?

Boolit Master

How Long Will They Produce ?

I like to add peppers to many of my meats and some of the vegetables
    So I started Jalapeno , Poblano and Yellow Hungarian peppers in December
    I raised the plants next to my wood furnace through the winter and have moved the plants to the picture window
    There I have a solar heating set up to keep the plants warm
    I have had a grow light light over the pepper plants set so they get at least 14 hours of natural or man made sun light a day

I keep the peppers removed so the peppers don't get mature

My question
    How long will the plants keep producing peppers ?
    This is my first year of growing peppers through the winter

As if they will start slowing down or stopping
    I will start new plants to plant in the garden so I can up my supply of peppers

By the way my Male cat likes to eat any plant he can
    But he learned the peppers are not the best to snack on

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Grand Master

I grow peppers outside so they produce until the first frost and if we have a mild winter and the plants aren't killed by a freeze ( they are not freeze hardy at all) they will continue and grow another year .

Pepper plants are in fact perennials and if protected from the cold and given the right conditions , will happily over winter and continue growing next year .
    But , even in Louisiana it doesn't take much cold to kill them ... so we usually just pull up the dead winter killed ones and plant new .
    Keep warm and they will carry on .

Farmerjim can tell you all about pepper growing ...he's a real farmer ... I'm just a backyard plant piddler .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    They'll keep producing peppers as long as you keep feeding them and keep them warm.

In my outdoor garden, I usually keep 2 hot jalapeno plants, 2 jumbo/mild jalapeno plants (for stuffing), 2 sweet banana plants (also for stuffing), and then a few other peppers (bells, anchos, cubanelles, sweet italian, etc).

We are never short on peppers from late spring to early fall. I usually end up giving away a pound or more a month because we have too many. In the fall I harvest all the remaining fruit, and they go to pickling or salsa.

Hot pepper plants are very productive.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I found mine produced for around five years before they gave up.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

WOW ! 5 years ... they can hang in there when old man winter doesn't get to them .
    This year I have planted :
    Gypsey Peppers
    Green Bell Peppers
    Jalapeno
    Pepperoncini Italian Pickling Heirloom (first time)
    Lunchbox Sweet Snacking Pepper

I chop and freeze some for cooking and pickle the rest .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 04-14-2021 at 01:07 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Mine last till the first freeze.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I usually have a flower pot garden for pepper plants. My son had me get a couple of ghost pepper plants and those made more than we could use.
    Toward the fall I brought one of the ghost pepper plants and a jalapeno plant indoors. I had them on a table next to a big window for sun.
    We had an ice storm and lost electricity for a couple of days, the temp got down to 46 at the coldest. I thought both plants died but left them alone and all the leaves
    turned brown and fell off. That year we had an early spring and I put the plants in the front flower bed on the south side of the house and to my amazement both plants came back
    and produced another year. I don't think the root system were affected by the cold snap. but these days I gather pods until the first frost.

I am rather fond of Candied Jalapenos aka Cowboy Candy.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Love me some peppers !!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

I’ve kept pepper plants alive indoors for about 5 years; thought that was something special but looks like many others have as well- have found the hotter the pepper the longer it produces indoors with out going dormant for a time.
    And as others have mentioned it don’t take much cold damage/kill them even on a windowsill during a freak June frost.

Boolit Master

Thanks
    Then I can put them out later
    I am thinking of putting them in 5 gallon buckets
    That way I can bring them in if it is getting cold
    I also can then just bring the 5 gallon buckets into the house before any frost

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

You might find this of interest. I've been using this system for a few years on the deck. It sure does make watering easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He2BafUm6Pg

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I kept mine in one gallon containers, worked fine.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I grow peppers outside so they produce until the first frost and if we have a mild winter and the plants aren't killed by a freeze ( they are not freeze hardy at all) they will continue and grow another year .

Pepper plants are in fact perennials and if protected from the cold and given the right conditions , will happily over winter and continue growing next year .
    But , even in Louisiana it doesn't take much cold to kill them ... so we usually just pull up the dead winter killed ones and plant new .
    Keep warm and they will carry on .

Farmerjim can tell you all about pepper growing ...he's a real farmer ... I'm just a backyard plant piddler .
    Gary
    Same here, I keep an Jalapeno plant alive for a good 5 years in a pot, It would get cold I'd roll it inside.